Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Detroit 6V53TI 400HP marine diesel engine

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Detroit 6V53TI 400HP marine diesel engine

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Humble brag

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Not humble

1 Not allowed!

Dick

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    These folks have the same exact boat and are using it the same way we plan to use ours. Kind of a cool video that shows a bit of the lifestyle we are aiming for.
    Bueno.

2 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

These folks have the same exact boat and are using it the same way we plan to use ours. Kind of a cool video that shows a bit of the lifestyle we are aiming for. YouTube
    That's pretty cool. Can I be happy for you and jealous of you at the same time? At least you chose a nice size rig to travel around in. Keeping the current boat for local cruising?

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

...only 36" draft...
    I still can't wrap my head around this one detail.

To put this into perspective for others, my 26' Sea Ray has a 36" draft. This vessel that stoinky is persuing is whole other boat-length longer (18') than my cabin cruiser and still manages to dip into the water an equal depth.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    That's pretty cool. Can I be happy for you and jealous of you at the same time? At least you chose a nice size rig to travel around in. Keeping the current boat for local cruising?
    Wish I could justify keeping the current boat, but we are selling it, and many of our possessions... Plan is to sell the house, all vehicles but one car and one motorcycle, and cruise full-time starting in 2020. It has dawned on us since our (adult) children moved out that we are not using most of our house (except to store crap we don't use much, if at all), not using all of our yard (except for yard work...), and that we are happiest when having an adventure in our boat. Thus, we figured "why not get rid of all the things that keep us from living a continuous an adventure on the water?".

I have done a ton of research and crunched the numbers, and even though my wife is "retiring", we'll come out ahead financially by doing this and should be able to retire two years earlier than anticipated, unless something catastrophic happens to the boat engines. The equity in our house (and then some) is absorbed every year by taxes and maintenance expenses lately, so it's become not so different than renting an apartment, although a lot roomier, a lot more costly to heat, and a lot more work. We are keeping a building lot we own in Maine so that if the boating thing gets old, we can build a smaller, more efficient, and lower-maintenance house there. I'm hoping to go from the boat straight into assisted living or a Viking funeral, when the time comes; we'll see...

By living on the boat and following the nice weather from the Caribbean to Canada, we can anchor the vast majority of the time and will only need to pay for the occasional transient slip/mooring, plus < 2 grand a year for a "permanent" mooring to establish residency in New England (I think, this part seems a bit fuzzy). I know the boat will require constant maintenance and repair, but I am perfectly capable and eager to do 95% of it myself and by being on the boat all the time, I can keep a close eye on everything and catch problems before they get expensively out of control. Of course, it helps to start with a very well-built and well-maintained boat and we were super-selective about that. This boat has had two surveys, by two different surveyors (and had the oil analyzed twice too) in the last 15 months and the reports are stellar. We also won't be taking a depreciation bath on the boat if we sell it since it's so old.

We expect to spend 5ish months moored in New England, thus the plan to keep one car. The motorcycle I'm keeping is a family heirloom. I'm also keeping all my tools and the ones that don't make it onto the boat will be (eagerly) baby-sat by my little brother who has a big house with an empty basement and a two car garage. The remainder of the stuff we are keeping (mostly heirloom-quality furniture that we are not giving to our kids, and keepsakes) will be kept in a friend's oversize 3 car garage loft and in the smallest and cheapest storage unit we can get away with. My job allows me to work from home as long as I have decent internet access. The 4G mobile network on the east coast is already perfectly adequate and the 5G gear being deployed right now will make it even better.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by stoinkythepig; 01-02-19 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I still can't wrap my head around this one detail.

To put this into perspective for others, my 26' Sea Ray has a 36" draft. This vessel that stoinky is persuing is whole other boat-length longer (18') than my cabin cruiser and still manages to dip into the water an equal depth.
    My 25' Regal has a 39" draft, so the new boat is actaully an improvement for me, except I can't trim it up. The two key attributes that allow this are much less deadrise (10 degrees on big boat, versus 24 degrees on the Regal) and engine placement. The Regal only has one engine and a deep deadrise, so the props are centered and have to dip way down below the keel to get to clean water when underway.
    Detroit 6V53TI 400HP marine diesel engine-maxresdefault-jpg

The new boat has twin engines and the props are off-center so they end up being roughly even with the keel (the deepest part of the keel is not visible in this photo.
    Detroit 6V53TI 400HP marine diesel engine-dscn0293-jpg

The new boat does not need nearly as much deadrise (which smooths the ride at speed, but makes the boat less fuel efficient) because it is not nearly as fast.

0 Not allowed!

Sounds like you've got it all worked out. Are you going to register the vessel or document it?

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Sounds like you've got it all worked out. Are you going to register the vessel or document it?
    Not sure yet, but leaning toward documentation to make it easier to visit the Caribbean and to avoid hassles with visited states trying to force us to register (and pay sales tax). We'll still have to pay to "register" the boat in NH, just won't have to display bow numbers.

0 Not allowed!

These folks have the same exact boat and are using it the same way we plan to use ours. Kind of a cool video that shows a bit of the lifestyle we are aiming for. YouTube
    That looks awesome. Good for you.

0 Not allowed!

This is very motivating. Great job man!

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

How Canadian of them. Boat has engine issues and they take it easy for a month before finally diagnosing it. It must be nice to not have a care in the world like that and live on island time. I'd be tweaking. I wonder what a head gasket job on those CATs runs anyway!

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    How Canadian of them. Boat has engine issues and they take it easy for a month before finally diagnosing it. It must be nice to not have a care in the world like that and live on island time. I'd be tweaking. I wonder what a head gasket job on those CATs runs anyway!
    Yeah, the concept of having no schedule and always being "home" no matter where we are will be weird. Guessing I'll grow to like it though.

3208s are pretty simple and my guess is a head gasket swap is not that hard. They are laid out pretty much like an enormous Ford Windsor engine but without the hassle of a timing chain and distributor. I will have all the tools, the manuals, and the parts necessary to change a pair of head gaskets (and anything else on the top half of the engine) on board.

I actually helped Sheldon with engine diagnosis remotely when he was having that issue and he has given me tons of advice about shopping for my own Tollycraft 44. He has been a tremendous help with predicting cruising costs too.

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123