Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Discussion: fraternities / sororities

Discussion: fraternities / sororities

As someone who was working full time during college and didn’t attend any fancy / party schools my only experience with fraternities is whatever I have seen in movies.

Are they really strong brotherhood bonds and big networking establishments or really just a way of partying?
    One of my friends son is going to URI and he’s part of fraternity there and they seem to be doing a lot in terms of recruiting, events, etc based on what I see on his social media.

Was just curious what they really are about and if members here happened to have been members in any also.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Discussion: fraternities / sororities

Both from what I've observed as an outsider.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

kappa dappa frappa

Frats were kinda a joke a my college, a few guys in my dorm had some jackets made up with Kappa Dappa Frappa embroidered
    I went to a mixer once, our dorm keggers were better

they might establish networks for some professions, but not for forestry, I think it was a way to pretend they were at some big prestigious university rather than "this was the only school that would accept me" as academic standards were not high (other than the forestry and surveying courses, most of the NYS Regents requirements courses were only HS level)

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Fraternities span the gamut from party central to dedicated service organizations and everything in-between. I started out with the stereotypical view that's pushed by Hollywood and avoided them at first. Year by year, more of my friends were joining a particular fraternity which gave me the opportunity to hang out there and see what they were all about. Turns out my preconceived notions were completely off base. I ended up rushing my senior year and looking back, I wish I had joined earlier. We also have a very active graduate chapter that works fairly closely with the active chapter. It's really nice to return to school for a function and have instant connections with people you may not have met before.

Alpha Chi Rho - Delta Sigma Phi chapter at WPI

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

A bunch of the guys at my last job all knew each other from a URI frat, so it's not -all- about partying, but some of the party stories they told me about it were pretty insane. Soooo both?

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Fraternities span the gamut from party central to dedicated service organizations and everything in-between. //
    Very true.

We have been touring colleges for the last four years and I always ask what percentage of students are in fraternities and sororities. It is also available in the Common Data set (3xample https://www.umass.edu/uair/sites/def...endix_2011.pdf)

Range thus far is from zero to 50%. Southern schools tend to be higher, but not always: Dartmouth is near 50%.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Never joined a fraternity but did spend a lot of time getting snuck into and out of sororities.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!