Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Discussion: house generator

Re: Discussion: house generator

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    You could hear it all night.
    I can hear mine, I can hear my neighbor's across the street, I can hear my neighbor to the left, I can hear across the road to the left, and I can faintly hear my neighbor to the right, you can drive down the road with windows down, and hear em hum everywhere

IMHO, it's easier to put a 100 amp switch (or 200 amp) than to wire a partial panel, I like my towels hot and fresh out of the dryer when I get out of the shower

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    What he really needs is a front wheel drive sedan with snow tires.
    I got two of those lol

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    I know it's convenient to run the whole house but do you really need to run an electric dryer, range and oven for the couple days w/o street power?//
    We researched Hurricane Sandy stories because we are near Boston Harbor and the Neponset River.

Drying clothes becomes a problem after 3-4 days. Glad we have a gas dryer.

Not having enough gas cans, ditto.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Hang up your laundry to dry.

Super simple stuff, folks.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Big brain time

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Hang up your laundry to dry.
    Super simple stuff, folks.
    One would think. What actually happened is homes with power wound up with every relative or neighbor in the area. And were there for 8-14 days. Washing clothes was no issue, but drying clothes for 5-10 people in below freezing temps was an issue.

The lessons learned for the non-pedantic preparing for coastal “Storm of the century” events were:
    • Get a gas dryer, or a big enough generator to run an electric dryer if you are Storm Central.
    • Have enough fuel cans to run for several days, as fuel cans were sold out for 50 miles.
    • If you only have a small portable generator, wire in a plug for heat circulation pumps.

To the last point, my nephew in North Andover was without power for days Winter 2018. Fortunately he has a neighbor who is an electrician. We loaned him an EU2000i, and the electrician tapped into the pump feed so he could heat the house and run a few lights, charge phones, etc.

One of the most clever solutions was a Kubota BX [smallest Kubota diesel teactors] owner who picked up a used PTO generator at a farm sale for dirt cheap. They ran the whole house during the day using only 1-2 quarts of diesel per hour. Then at night he shut everything down and ran the heat with an EU2000i.

A friend of a friend in NH works from home and lives in an area with frequent power outages. He has two EU2000i’s. He daisy chains them together during the day to provide 3200 watts continuous so he can work. At night, he shuts one down and runs the heat off one. This minimizes his fuel consumption: he keeps 8 days worth.

Completely amazed no one has mentioned Milsurp diesel generators. They are really overbuilt, and if you heat with oil you’ve got plenty of fuel.

https://greenmountaingenerators.com/

Last edited by Garandman; 08-08-20 at 10:53 AM.

I have a clothes line in the basement. Still not fucking rocket science.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    if you like musty smelling cloths, not all basements are suitable

RandyO
    IBA#9560

OK, then don’t buy a gas dryer. Also pretty fucking simple..

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    if you like musty smelling cloths, not all basements are suitable
    Run a dehumidifier in the summer anyways. In the winter it isn't necessary.

Depends on the basement. I end up using a dehumidifier year round in my basement.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Depends on the basement. I end up using a dehumidifier year round in my basement.
    Thanks dank.

Run a dehumidifier in the summer anyways. In the winter it isn't necessary.
    so how do you power that dehumidifier without electricity ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I found that $$ for the electricity and have better results opening a window all summer for air flow, but in my barn/office, I still gotta use one to keep my paper from getting sticky, and jamming in office equipment, the biggest electric draw in my office, that I have to shut off during power outages, my little 4600w gen, not only powers my whole house, but I also run a 100ft 10ga extension to my office to power my router & server & in winter, the Rinnai heater

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    so how do you power that dehumidifier without electricity ?
    You don't. The problem was drying clothes in the winter. It's usually less damp in the winter.

Whatever you decide "DO NOT BUY A GENERAC".

My portable (XG10000E) lasted 12 hours and blew up. (bought brand new) It was out of the 2 year warranty, hours didn't matter. Generac not only kept redirecting my phone calls but disconnected multiple times on me while on hold. No reply to emails. Finally spoke with a very nice lady on the phone and she said "that stuff happens with small engines". When I asked what they would do if they were in my shoes, she said "buy a new standby generator"

Poor customer service. I was not looking for a new generator but would have been nice to have someone offer a discount on replacement parts. I imagine with such a large company I wasted their time calling about a portable generator.

Im sure people have had luck and these things can happen with any brand but I will never look at anything Generac again.

On a side note, I went to a generator shop. I told them situation. They said Generac keeps them in business with repairs. He suggested a Kohler as a problem free reliable generator.

2003 Kawi Ninja 500R, 03 Buell xb9r, 02 Aprilia Mille R, 07 Aprilia RSVR, 05 GSXR 600, 08 GSXR 750, 15 MTS 1200S, 2007 Harley FLHTCU

We got the same feedback. There are many happy Generac users (my brother ran one 8 days straight ) but the Kohler was only something like $300 more.

A guy on NES installs a lot of Briggs & Stratton units.

Our Kohler has had two problems in six years. One a part failure, the other a dead battery. It hasn’t run more than three days straight, and most are 2-18 hours. The transition is seamless: a light will flicker, at most.

It runs for 20 minutes every Sunday as an exercise. We check the display periodically to see if there are any faults. We now have a maintenance contract with Yestramski Electrical and can recommend them.

http://www.yestramski.com/

Last edited by Garandman; 08-10-20 at 06:23 AM.

For another Generac data point, I have one of their portable 5500W units as well as my in-laws. We got them at the same time many years ago and mine has had no issues but I probably only have a couple of hours on it. My in-law's unit crapped out while they were doing a simple maintenance run. I took it apart and found that one of the magnets on the flywheel had loosened up and made contact with the ignition coil which caused both to explode. It was out of warranty so I got the parts of E-bay and Amazon and got everything back up and running with all the related fasteners now having a dose of Loctite. They haven't had any issues since then.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Friends first oil change on a Generac a few weeks ago.

Discussion: house generator-115758778_1376517395891231_6342313208272551575_o-jpg

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    First of all I hope you all are safe and well after the storm. It seems like SNE got hit worse. I think we are nearing 800k people with no power between CT MA NH?
    Itís 100% overdue for me to get a generator for the house. I have an electrician who will do the wiring and stuff but I wanted to get some opinions on what generator to go with.
    If itís realistic and reasonable I d want something to possibly run the whole house or like 75% of it.
    Honda and others have calculators.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...age-calculator

I finally got to run the new generator that was given to me a few years ago. Actually, I run it once a month for about 15 minutes just to keep it running. But I finally got to use it for a couple days. But it was dry camping in the glamper on the Saco river this weekend.

Woops! Now that I think about it, the ONLY other time we've run it is during one of the multi-day outages a couple years ago. My wife runs payroll for a couple companies (among other things) and she needed to print the checks and get them out. Other than that, 3-5 days without power really doesn't bother us. Summer, winter...whatever...

Although to be honest, we ARE looking into something a bit more permanent that will run the kitchen and Big Shirl's office if needed.

It's just one of those Predator jobbies from HF. 4000 watt max, 3200 continuous. It's loud as fuck though. I passed out Friday night before shutting it off. Our set-up got A LOT of nasty looks early Saturday. LMFBO!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I've had my Generac for 8 years... I've run it a few times during outages.

When I first got it, I filled it with oil, ran it for 15 minutes or so and drained the oil. No metal in it at all.

Every time I've run it since, I've also changed the oil... and it's always been clean without any signs of issues.

It's stored in a small plastic shed to keep it out of the elements when it's not being used.

I can't complain... it starts right up when needed.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

One tip if you are having a propane genset installed. Read the manual and find out what size line is needed. The local gas company put in a 1/2” line when 3/4 was recommended.

This guy influenced me as he is in a part of NH where he often runs for days. He uses an EU2000i and EU2000i Companion. Honda is now EU2200i. From NES:

Quote Originally Posted by appraiser, post: 6850671, member: 8884
    The fridge, freezer and heat should rarely come on at the same time, the idea in a pinch is to keep the doors closed to the fridge and freezer to keep them cold, and you could go so far as to unplug them for a couple of hours and then run them to get it cold again. Manage the load, that manages the fuel supply.

IMHO it is all about fuel.

If you have natural gas, put in all the generator you want.

If you have a 500 gallon or more propane tank on site, run all the generator you want.

For those of us that rely on gasoline, I prefer 2 smaller inverters tethered

why?

When there is an ice storm, gasoline gets scarce fast.

I keep 40 gallons in my shed, I rotate it out 5 or ten gallons a month depending on how much lawn mowing I do, the rest goes in the gas tank of one of the cars. I always have fresh gasoline.

when I go to bed at night, I run ONE EU2000i in ECO mode, and when I wake up the thing is still running, I am not burning more gas then I need for the power demand.

2 EU2000i's tethered make more power than a 3KW inverter for the same or less initial cost.

I also have portability. I can take one or both with me easily as they weigh less than 50 pounds each and my wife can start them. She can not pull start the 5KW generator

My longest run time was 11 days.

Although I did not adjust the valves at the 100 hour service interval (something I check once a year) I was able to change the oil in them one at a time, keeping the house powered.

although the chances of a EU2000i failing are slim, by using 2 I have redundancy

My strategy is to be able to be able to stay in the house with the basics. I am not powering the whole house, I am running what I need to be comfortable and keep pipes from freezing for at least 2 weeks. That plan would require siphoning gas from unused vehicles once the 40 + gallons are used, assuming I could not get fuel locally.
    A couple tricks if a storm is coming:

- Make sure your jump pack is charged, they can run a cell phone for a week with your plug in converter.

- If a storm is coming, freeze a couple of gallon milk jugs. If you loose power, they will your fridge cool for two days or so.

- If you are on generator, get a cooler and load everything you need for the day into it to minimize opening.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-11-20 at 08:02 AM.

What does he do for his well? Needing to run 220V loads pushes me into a 5k+ generator. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to downsize to a couple tethered 2k units or even a single one of those new 3k inverter units.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast