Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best way to dispatch mice?

Best way to dispatch mice?

We have a huge mouse problem. We have been catching them in sticky traps, which doesn't kill them, Ive been folding over the trap and stepping on it.

We got a kitten, and the bastard already caught a mouse, I chased her down, and got the mouse out of her mouth with a paper towel, went out and stepped on it, and that damn mouse popped. it fucked me up man. It was fucking gross. innards squirted out the side.

is there a less gruesome option here? fuck me...

1 Not allowed!

Re: Best way to dispatch mice?

Coyote piss around your house and spearmint oil inside to drive them out.

They have black traps that they run into if you don’t want to look at them when they are caught.

Do you like snakes?

Maybe put the trap in a paper bag and put ear plugs in so you don’t hear it?!?

0 Not allowed!
    “I supported Sav’s hobby and all I got is this lousy t-shirt.”

Best way to dispatch mice?-03d8bf07-e7b4-40e6-a80e-b0f03167e115

0 Not allowed!
    “I supported Sav’s hobby and all I got is this lousy t-shirt.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Best way to dispatch mice?-03d8bf07-e7b4-40e6-a80e-b0f03167e115
    This is what I like to do as well, drown the little fuckers. Pellet gun for the bigger ‘rodents’

0 Not allowed!

What Gixxer here does. HUGE success with the "redneck mouse traps".

You can make smaller ones with big coffee cans and toilet paper tubes.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Great idea but won't work in an unheated garage.. I use moth balls in a mason jars and bait traps.. got tired if emptying the traps. They do know how to multiply...

0 Not allowed!

The classic, the simplest, the cheapest.

This year has been the worst I've ever experienced. I've caught nearly 40 mice in these trusty old traps. I was using 6, but now I have 12 out. The more, the better. They won't trip every trap every time, but eventually, the "odds aren't in their favor" and it'll get them.

Peanut butter in the trap is all you need.

Keep a butter knife handy to empty them without having to touch the carcass. Just put the blade under the side of the lever and twist. I keep an old bucket nearby just to collect the bodies in before tossing them outside in the woods.

Beware, little fuckers go cannibalistic pretty quick, will eat the eyes out of their fallen comrades before anything else. Empty the traps every day.

I've only caught two mice last week. I'm sensing I've taken out most of the hoard.

Make sure any animals you don't want to get snapped don't have access to these. Place them near entryways, along walls, etc. Dust the floor with flour to lightly to see where they make their paths. Once you find a mouse highway, litter it with these bad boys.

I had a couple brew buckets in the basement that those little assholes would find their way into, with no way out. First two died after a while, then dried up. Next one chewed most of the way through the bucket before I caught him and tossed him. Final mouse chewed a hole right in the damn thing and went on his merry way. No buckets for me for traps.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 12-03-18 at 03:42 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

As stated above...

Snap traps in frequently traveled locations indoors, bucket trap in frequently traveled locations outdoors is how I do it. You can buy the "walk the plank" kit (minus the 5 gal bucket) on Amazon for $10. Caught probably 50 mice in the past year between those two methods. If you keep on top of resetting/emptying traps, you can rid yourself of them before winter. I'm pretty excited that I haven't had a mouse in the house for a month now!

Word of advice though, with the bucket trap make sure you check it/empty it EVERY DAY. It will start to stink after 2 days of floating corpses...ask me how I know.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

So the cat is doing the job but it's too....errrr....ummmm...."yucky".......for your sensitive self?

Look into their hollow little rodent eyes, the blank stare, the yellowing rabies teeth. There's hardly life in them to begin with, much less a soul.

Put that kitty to work!

1 Not allowed!

I put snap traps in a shoe box with a couple holes in the box. Wifey didn't want to see the carnage and keeps the dog's snout in tact.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Put three Victor traps in the shed baited with peanut butter. Came back 48 hours later and bait was gone without springing the trap!

Did they go to school or something? The traps seem normally sensitive.

1 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

The strength of the Victor style traps is in the statistics. The more traps, the better chances of filling them. Go big.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Any way of dispatching squirrels? I've got one of those "have-a-heart" traps in the attic but it hasn't worked. It's baited with peanut butter and some trail mix.

The fucker wakes me up every morning when he's rustling around up there...

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Any way of dispatching squirrels? I've got one of those "have-a-heart" traps in the attic but it hasn't worked. It's baited with peanut butter and some trail mix.

The fucker wakes me up every morning when he's rustling around up there...
    Rat trap. Anchor it down. But they make a mess.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Put three Victor traps in the shed baited with peanut butter. Came back 48 hours later and bait was gone without springing the trap!

Did they go to school or something? The traps seem normally sensitive.
    Tweak the tang that the rod attaches to with a pair of needle nose to increase the sensitivity. I set them so I can barely set them down on the floor without triggering them. Evil bastards might get a taste but never lick all the bait off.

0 Not allowed!

Bucket traps are awesome, the mice are so stupid that they'll wait in line before drowning themselves. If you need to use one in an unheated space add antifreeze as required (but make sure no other animal can get to it).

Another option is the electronic trap. I had one mouse that was too smart for the bucket trap and caught him in this thing in literally 15 minutes:

Best way to dispatch mice?-072868132520-jpg

$20 at Lowes. The great thing about these traps is the mouse is zapped just before he gets to the food. You just open the lid, dump the body in the trash and the trap is ready for the next customer -- the mouse is not squished and no cleaning is required. The trap has baffles so a cat can't reach in and touch the plates. A red LED flashes when it's time to empty the trap.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by joeswamp; 12-03-18 at 04:34 PM.
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Since I travel often for work, I need traps that my wife is willing to empty. I've had great luck with Tomcat brand press-and-set traps. You can get them for short money at Home Depot. During the warmer months, I use a bucket in the garage.

On a side note, I've found the release mechanism in the Tomcat traps to be more sensitive than a non-adjusted Victor style trap. It works so well that I periodically have to replace the peanut butter in it due to staleness from not being eaten.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 12-03-18 at 04:39 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    Bucket traps are awesome, the mice are so stupid that they'll wait in line before drowning themselves. If you need to use one in an unheated space add antifreeze as required (but make sure no other animal can get to it).

Another option is the electronic trap. I had one mouse that was too smart for the bucket trap and caught him in this thing in literally 15 minutes:

Best way to dispatch mice?-072868132520-jpg

$20 at Lowes. The great thing about these traps is the mouse is zapped just before he gets to the food. You just open the lid, dump the body in the trash and the trap is ready for the next customer -- the mouse is not squished and no cleaning is required. The trap has baffles so a cat can't reach in and touch the plates. A red LED flashes when it's time to empty the trap.
    I've also had success with these zappy traps. My mother in law bought one that has wifi and an app to notify catches - kind of gimmicky but also cool.

0 Not allowed!

I had one of those electronic traps and it finally showed red after like a week. I opened it to find the food gone and a pile of poo. I estimate that got the food, shocked, shit himself, ran off and ate.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I had one of those electronic traps and it finally showed red after like a week. I opened it to find the food gone and a pile of poo. I estimate that got the food, shocked, shit himself, ran off and ate.
    Mine killed a rat and a mouse, no muss no fuss. I think the batteries are dead now though

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Since I travel often for work, I need traps that my wife is willing to empty. I've had great luck with Tomcat brand press-and-set traps. You can get them for short money at Home Depot. During the warmer months, I use a bucket in the garage.

On a side note, I've found the release mechanism in the Tomcat traps to be more sensitive than a non-adjusted Victor style trap. It works so well that I periodically have to replace the peanut butter in it due to staleness from not being eaten.
    I found these Tom cat traps work way better than the Victor. Rarely a misfire. They are easy to unload too because they use a plastic lever on the back, so you don't have to touch the mouse.

I throw the carcass behind my garage. Kind of funny, the crows have picked up on this and now fly over when I come out to eat the mice.

0 Not allowed!

12 Ducati Multi, 17 Husky FS450, 15 KX450F sumo, 07 KTM 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF

LRRS/CCS #99
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Great idea but won't work in an unheated garage.. I use moth balls in a mason jars and bait traps.. got tired if emptying the traps. They do know how to multiply...
    Why won't it work? Just use antifreeze..

1 Not allowed!

I could but dont want to deal with that later.. plus if my neighbors dog or the other neighbors cat got into it.. both have been in my garage uninvited.. not worth it.. plus the bait traps and mothballs have worked so far.

0 Not allowed!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Redneck mouse trap freezing in in heated garage? Add some salt to decrease the freezing point of the bucket water Or fill it with gasoline.

0 Not allowed!

Salts a good idea.. still would freeze but your right. Gas no thanks to much of a mess with disposal. Or get a barn cat..

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast