Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

DIY toy hauler camper build

Re: DIY toy hauler camper build

That's absurd overkill for 2 bike tires. I sized my setup to fit anything 17-21", rotor size from dinky-ass dirt bike to wholey-nose-stand super-moto.

0 Not allowed!

What about running another piece of wood up and down the middle of each wheel area. That piece could have holes drilled every inch or so (for adaptability). Then run a wood dowel through the axle hole in the wheel into that piece of wood that's mounted on the wall. The dowel doesn't have to carry any weight, but it would keep the wheel from rolling or tipping over or sliding out from the bottom. Keep the strap too.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Steph's is more impressive. Still can't believe she put that together in a weekend.
    I am surprised to get that all accomplished in a weekend as well. But I had 2 extra, very capable hands helping, so it was far from a solo effort. I used the same exact thread/picture that you posted as my inspiration as well.

PS - the insulation is in my trailer to give to you next round

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS/CCS AM#824 Woodcraft / GMD Computrack / Dunlop / Central Mass PowerSports

Insulation is marginally worth it. To keep and box that has cold air under it warm is going to take a LOT of insulation on all four walls. Insulating the floor is obviously not likely to happen, since you want the headroom. So, insulating the rest is like putting a bandaid on a wound that needs major stitches.

Better is to have good heat. Electric blankets are waaay more efficient than trying to heat the air all night.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Insulation is marginally worth it. To keep and box that has cold air under it warm is going to take a LOT of insulation on all four walls. Insulating the floor is obviously not likely to happen, since you want the headroom. So, insulating the rest is like putting a bandaid on a wound that needs major stitches.

Better is to have good heat. Electric blankets are waaay more efficient than trying to heat the air all night.
    I use a small 10" maybe probably 8" fan/heat (the kind you might put under a desk to keep your feet warm) to heat my truck. The "living quarters" are just about a 7 foot cube. I put 1.5 hard foam insulation in the walls, floor and roof. Last round was pretty cold and I did not see below 65deg at night.

1 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

Yeah. I'm not sure the insulation was worthwhile. But I did not (and still don't) know that for sure before I did it. I had the trailer apart to pull wire and roll the wall panels, so why not. Total cost was about $120.

I used a little electric heater from walmart at round 1. It would have been enough had I left it running non stop AND not been sleeping directly on the floor. Ultimately it is good 'nuf for my needs. I expect I'll be more worried about the heat than the cold 90% of my time in this thing.

Goals for this week/weekend:
    - Build and install bunk
    - Finish installing lighting
    - Finish cleaning up the bitchin' fridge I got from Jason

0 Not allowed!

The insulation, especially in the ceiling will help when the temps come UP, especially if you're using an AC.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

A/whut? I don't even have that in my house.

No AC for me. I will just sweat, thanks.

0 Not allowed!

Funny, I have not used A/C at the track the last/only two years I've slept up there. Heat on the other hand...

I do have window that open with screen on either side of my bed so I get a nice cross flow of fresh air. I bet that fan you put in the roof will do wonders.

0 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

I want windows.

0 Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I want windows.
    Can't beat 'em. The horse trailer has 3 and it really helps when it gets warm.

0 Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I want windows.
    Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - Full Version

5 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

You suck at being cheap. For not much more, you can probably find a cheap Windows machine that is also AC. Best of both worlds!

Toshiba Satellite 14" Laptop Intel Core i5 6GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive Gold E45-B4100 - Best Buy

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 05-05-15 at 11:57 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I got mine used, or beat up new I can't remember, off fleebay. Something like 80-90 bucks per side. Sliding glass with sliding screen. I think the came out of an old RV.

0 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

Looks like I can get windows for about that new : Teardrop Trailer Windows and Doors

Style WD06 (14x21) is about what I had in mind. My wall studs are 16" OC and I have no desire to cut them. These would fit between. Kind of want to add one to the door as well. Maybe go buck-wild and add round portal fixed windows (style WD01) to the v-nose for more light. I like light. Reminds me to get off my ass in the morning and get moving.

0 Not allowed!

I'm the exact opposite. Everyone has suggested I add windows, commented how easy they are to add, etc. With windows I won't feel so claustrophobic they tell me.

Ya know what, I like my isolated little cave. I get a hint of daylight through my roof vent, and additional airflow through the side vents. I don't WANT to see the trailers beside me, let me hermit in peace dangit!

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

I love rolling over in the morning, looking out my window and seeing the front strait and
    NEW HAMPSHIRE MOTORSPEEDWAY....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. Life is good.

2 Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44

Insulation is important! When I strip the westy to paint in the fall, I will be removing all of the fatmatt insulation I put in last year. Then spraying some ceramic insulation and then spraying a sound deadener over that. I sleep in the van all winter, sometimes in subzero temperatures and without a heater for the most part. I will be installing a propex or webasto heater before next winter to run off a thermostat. These also vent outside which means no toxic fumes and you wont be waking up covered in moisture. They are $$$$, a big buddy propane heater can be had for around 70 bucks at walmart and keep you warm. The buddy heaters dont vent outside so you have the problems of moisture and fumes (they have a low oxygen cut off but.....)

0 Not allowed!

Careful, the moisture has to go somewhere. it will collect anywhere it can and start rust. Allowing the cavities to breath a little and the weephols to do their thing is important. Thinsulate is highly recommended for these reasons.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

^Which is why I suggested not using the buddy heater. Propex etc vent outside so no moisture!!!!

0 Not allowed!

Seemed like no matter how hot it got during the day i was always cold in my trailer at night. I'm still trying to figure out how to get heat in there without electricity (no hookups at most of the supermoto tracks i race at) and with out choking myself.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    ^Which is why I suggested not using the buddy heater. Propex etc vent outside so no moisture!!!!
    The heater exhaust vents outside, but your exhaust vents inside. It is amazing how much moisture comes out of one person overnight.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

This is why I keep a 'Camp Dry' bucket in my trailer at all times.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The heater exhaust vents outside, but your exhaust vents inside. It is amazing how much moisture comes out of one person overnight.
    Yes, that is true but with one of those heaters going they take a decent amount of moisture out. Leave one window open a crack and that will keep the moisture down considerably as well.

0 Not allowed!

So insulate the hell out of it to leave a vent or two open at night. That's the part that I don't really get. The tighter the van, the more vents they have. I have a lose van, and don't need vents. I'm not sold on it yet. I certainly don't have the experience of insulating one and then living in it, but after a lot of reading, I'm scratching my head, why bother?

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D