Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

DIY toy hauler camper build

Re: DIY toy hauler camper build

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    No, but what do the rainbow colored strobe ones mean? I thought I might make new friends with my bright display.
    Rainbow colored is fine. I hear flashy lights, however, are not that we'll liked.

1 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Yup. Probably about 50% more than what I have in my wreck, but 2x as many features and probably 48238x the build quality. Shoulda. Coulda. Woulda. Didn't.

Besides. I love a project.

0 Not allowed!

What do you have as a charge converter/fuse panel for the solar setup?

0 Not allowed!

I don't have solar (yet).

This is the power center I installed : Amazon.com: WFCO WF8712PB Black 12 Amps Power Center: Automotive

All it does is convert 120VAC to 12VDC and break out circuits. It houses the breakers (2x 120VAC circuits) and fuses (4x 12VAC). It also has a smart battery charger built in that can charge and condition deep cycle batteries. However, I am not running with batteries at this point.

I have no idea how it would be integrated into a solar setup. I think it can be. But I haven't looked into exactly how.

0 Not allowed!

Just pressed go on the parts for a photovoltaic project for this. Found an scratch and dent deal on a 100W monocrystalline panel, added a Schneider/Xantrex 35A PWM charge controller, mounting brackets, inline fuses and misc connectors and assorted poop. All said I'm in under $300. Time to drill more holes in the roof!

Was gonna cheap out and go with one of those Northern Tool cheapie panels. But this panel "only" cost 2x more and delivers 5x the power. I like set and forget and that would have required the charge controller anyway. Looking for enough to push the fridge and recharge the battery enough to give me lights, the roof fan and maybe a cell phone recharge, all with no shore power. I may never have to plug this trailer in again.

Oh, I think I skipped the chapter where I added a 100AH deep cycle battery, box and low-power fridge/cooler last spring. Basically the same type fridge as Paul put in his sprinter but from Indel B, an Italian brand. Supposedly draws about 1A continuous. Holds at least a 12 pack. Life is good. Battery charges off the charger/converter I added when I first built out the trailer last year. Plug it in for 2-3 days before leaving and the battery is enough to survive a 2 day track day. Tested it at Thompson and at Stimilon and it was tities.

2 Not allowed!

Oh, sweet! for 300 bucks and some holes in the roof, this is a no brainer. You are going to love it. I can run my fridge 24/7. Ceiling/floor vents to keep some cool air in there at all times helps the fridge.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

DIY toy hauler camper build-img_0729-jpg

Renogy 100W monocrystalline panel

DIY toy hauler camper build-img_0732-jpg

Schneider-Electric C35 charge controller (35A max)

DIY toy hauler camper build-img_0734-jpg

Duracell 100AH deep cycle 12V battery, vented marine box

I'm not entirely happy with the wiring just yet. Need to buy some more 10ga wire (using some 12/2 romex for now) and I'd like a disconnect to the battery. But it works. Charger went into bulk charge mode almost as soon as I hooked it up. After about 24 hours I noticed it was in float charge mode. I'm fairly confident I may never have to plug the trailer in again. I think the battery has enough to push the fridge through a 2-3 day event, supplemented by solar during the day. Then I can simply park the trailer at home and let the solar bring the battery back and maintain through the weeks between events.

I have no inverter in this system. No 110VAC items I want to run. Although the electric blanket would be handy, so I may have to go there.

DIY toy hauler camper build-img_0735-jpg

Trailer as it stands. Track day/Stimilon/Boxshop/whatever ready.

3 Not allowed!

Recently we've been talking of trailer power. I dug through my stuff and found this chart showing how I have my trailer electrical setup. Mine was implemented in phases. The black bits were phase 1; shore power plug, power distribution center, plugs, fan and outlets. Phase 2 was the battery. Phase 3 was the solar panel and controller. Phase 4 would be the inverter. I have not done this as I don't feel I need 120VAC very badly. But the inverter would let me run 120VAC loads off the battery. I'd probably need to add more batteries if I did that.

Setup as is works the boobies.

DIY toy hauler camper build-trailer-power-page-jpg

1 Not allowed!

Excellent post

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Recently we've been talking of trailer power. I dug through my stuff and found this chart showing how I have my trailer electrical setup. Mine was implemented in phases. The black bits were phase 1; shore power plug, power distribution center, plugs, fan and outlets. Phase 2 was the battery. Phase 3 was the solar panel and controller. Phase 4 would be the inverter. I have not done this as I don't feel I need 120VAC very badly. But the inverter would let me run 120VAC loads off the battery. I'd probably need to add more batteries if I did that.

How much do you charge to do this? I already have a hole in my trailer from a bar end, so that's done.

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Remember, I measure once and cut twice.

DIY toy hauler camper build-20150418_132951-jpg

2 Not allowed!

xxaarraa

Is your truck fridge a regular old dorm room issue, or a fancy ARB-type compressor fridge that costs hundreds of dollars? I imagine the latter, if you are running it off the battery, but just checking.

0 Not allowed!

Truckfridge is a brand. Check em out. Super efficient danfoss compressor at half the price of ARB. It's a no brainer.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Is your truck fridge a regular old dorm room issue, or a fancy ARB-type compressor fridge that costs hundreds of dollars? I imagine the latter, if you are running it off the battery, but just checking.
    You can grab a tf49 for sub $500 bucks that will run for a few days on a 150ah battery, toss a solar panel on that and you are setup fairly nicely

0 Not allowed!

I have the Truck Fridge brand TF41 portable. It works off 110VAC or 12VDC and is super efficient. Hence I can run a weekend (plus) off one 100AH battery and do not need to bother with an inverter in my system. The fridge was the only 110VAC load I really felt I needed. So my view was that I was going to pay for the fridge or for the inverter, battery and extra wiring/hardware. I decided the fridge was a better investment for me.

With the solar I don't worry about the battery much at all anymore. I figure the net sum between the fridge & my other loads and the solar charge is more than enough for me to run that single battery for a long weekend.

I can highly recommend the TF41. It's small, but works well. Good for 1-2 people for a weekend. Cannot load up with a whole 12-pack at once. But you can replace cold ones as you drink 'em and still live the dream.

I also bought the optional mounting plate. Skip that. It sucks. The retaining system doesn't work well and I have already broken several of the clips. I need to figure out a better solution for mounting. But the fridge is great.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 03-13-17 at 07:53 AM.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

*subscribed*

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

I have a tf49 in my westy. I can fit a pint of ben&jerrys in the freezer, it makes ice in 100 degree plus temps and keeps beers nice and cold. Its quiet to boot!

0 Not allowed!

xxaarraa

The truckfridge seems to be the same price as some arb or edgestar models? Do you guys like them because they are just a better product because they don't seem cheaper to me?

0 Not allowed!

Really,? they are half the price of ARB for the same size.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

ARB 10800352 (37qt) : $765 on amazon
    TruckFridge TF41 : $549 direct

ARB 10800472 (50qt) : $851 on amazon
    TruckFridge TF51 : $599 direct

Not half, but pretty sizable cost delta.

Both are excellent products. The truck fridge is a rebrand of an Italian brand. I can't remember which.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 03-16-17 at 06:58 AM.

If you want a Truckfridge I have found the best pricing from westyventures

All of these prices include free shipping!

For example The TF51 is 550 and the TF41 is 520

Westy Ventures / Parts

ARB 10800352 (37qt) : $765 on amazon
    TruckFridge TF41 : $549 direct

ARB 10800472 (50qt) : $851 on amazon
    TruckFridge TF51 : $599 direct

Not half, but pretty sizable cost delta.

Both are excellent products. The truck fridge is a rebrand of an Italian brand. I can't remember which.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by snwbrdr435; 03-16-17 at 07:02 AM.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    If you want a Truckfridge I have found the best pricing from westyventures

All of these prices include free shipping!

For example The TF51 is 550 and the TF41 is 520

Westy Ventures / Parts
    I must have been looking at incorrect models, thanks both. I have been meaning to bite the bullet and get a compressor fridge even for my overlanding setup.

Any idea how the fridge would perform if placed outside in the bed of a pickup? It will be under a tonneau cover, but still, exposed to outside tempteratures. Would it still keep things cool? I am asking because when we go overlanding/camping, I can't afford the room the fridge takes up inside the cabin with two 100 lb dogs, but I can put it in the bed of the new pickup underneath the tonneau.

0 Not allowed!

I have left it in the cab of my (all black, black interior) truck on a sunny day. It doesn't perform miracles, but it works. Beer was cold, but it wasn't making ice.

My trailer isn't conditioned. So inside temperatures are the same as outside for me. It works well in that space; shaded from the sun, with lots of air to circulate.

0 Not allowed!

I have a toploader ARB and it would absolutely be perfect for what you describe. It's pretty amazing the range of temps it can work in. The TF would seem to be nearly identical.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D