Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dog toys/treats, whats good/bad

Lifer

Dog toys/treats, whats good/bad

So, my dog is a 7 or 8ish year old pitbull/boxer/mastiff mix. A co-worker of my girlfriend, their dog just had their stomach perforated by some sort of bone. A friend of ours sent us a big rawhide candy cane, but we have "heard" that rawhide is not good for dogs. We have stuck to buying antlers for him to chew on... So, anyone know? What is ok, what to stray away from? Rawhide good or bad? Thanks

0 Not allowed!

Re: Dog toys/treats, whats good/bad

Has this forum always had more posts in off topic vs. general bike related?

1 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Lifer

Hey, I agree. I want as many bike threads as I can handle to learn/enjoy the info... While I ponder buying that 2007.5 Aprilia tuono... However, I have this hungry pooch eyeing that rawhide 2 foot tall candy cane like me eyeing a suzuki B- king with yoshis and adjustable pegs.....

So thanks for your relevant and helpful input, happy holidays!

0 Not allowed!

Himalayan dog chews. They're made of a hard cheese. When you get down to a small nub, stick that in the microwave and feed the puff to him.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

My vet turned me onto "greenies". I buy bulk packs from amazon. They are some sort of compressed vegetable something something. Doggo goes bonkers for them. She is not an aggressive chewer; bones last forever. The greenies are gone in minutes.

My vet/surgeon friend says they are bad news. Says dogs do not chew them and swallow them whole, causing blockage. I haven't seen any evidence of that. I try to take advice from this friend with a grain of salt as she works an emergency clinic and sees the worst of the worst. My vet says that sort of thing is unlikely. But its worth sharing.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Says dogs do not chew them and swallow them whole, causing blockage.
    You just have to size them properly for the dog. We accidently bought a box of small dog bones for our labs and my yellow male bites them once and tries swallowing causing him to honk and hack. 5 days straight and he hasn't figured it out yet. The females don't have that problem.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I've had two different vets tell me two opposite things as far as rawhide and raw bones.

Getting reliable info on dog chews is like trying to get recommendations for what tires to put on your bike. Most advice is biased due to potential financial gain of the person giving it.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I have also gotten different advice from vets on rawhide. I don't give my dog rawhide for one reason only, it gives her nasty gas!

For chew toys, ive had good luck with Kong products, and another glow type chew.

For treats, I either use some of her dog food, as well as baby carrots. I don't buy any of the dog treats, i have an allergy dog and those processed treats are full of crap

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Himalayan dog chews. They're made of a hard cheese. When you get down to a small nub, stick that in the microwave and feed the puff to him.
    Sometimes I wish I were a dog. Yumm.

1 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

We avoid rawhide for the simple reason that it gives her diarrhea. It took us giving her rawhide two times to figure that one out.

We use a variety of things for treats. Veggies (carrots mostly), fruit (no grapes), regular bagged type treats, and sometimes make homemade treats with spent grains from home brewing. Never had an issue other than the rawhide.

0 Not allowed!

We get real meat bones from the deli department in town. I have 4 year old pit mix and she is an insanely aggressive chewer. Each bone has lasted multiple years.

0 Not allowed!

BULLY STICKS!!!!

Disgusting but dogs love them

1 Not allowed!

I give my dog rawhide all the time. He's a 9yo boxer/hound. Knock on wood, never had an issue. He loves chewing things, rawhide is probably better for him than the alternative shoe leather.
    He stole a bag of Christmas cookies last night off the table. They were soft, so that equals it out I guess.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    So, my dog is a 7 or 8ish year old pitbull/boxer/mastiff mix. A co-worker of my girlfriend, their dog just had their stomach perforated by some sort of bone. A friend of ours sent us a big rawhide candy cane, but we have "heard" that rawhide is not good for dogs. We have stuck to buying antlers for him to chew on... So, anyone know? What is ok, what to stray away from? Rawhide good or bad? Thanks
    Kong. Only the black ones if you have a true power-chewer, they can easily destroy the red ones. We do marrow bones from the deli occasionally, but they are fucking gross and our mastiff can chew one sharp in no time. It does help if you freeze them first.

0 Not allowed!

I rarely give my dogs anything cooked or processed other than dog food & Milk Bones. In my opinion, ANYTHING like that that can be purchased at a pet store is bad. I ONLY give ours raw bones, NEVER cooked. You can get a package of marrow bones at Ghetto Basket for $5-6. We leave 'em in the freezer. Just grab one when the time is right and give it to the beast raw. It's like doggie crack! I lucked out this year and got myself a whitetail. I cut all the leg & rib bones in half and left a decent amount of meat on 'em. She can't get enough of those fuckers!

One of the big problems with rawhide is A LOT of dogs will swallow it whole once it's small enough to get it down. This CAN lead to blockage somewhere in their track. Never mind all the bleaching & flavoring they use to process that shit...

Do yourself a huge favor and get the pooch some RAW marrow bones. You'll thank me...

FWIW - we've also always fed our dogs RAW chicken leg quarters, bones & all. We don't do it all the time, and it's only just a suppliment. But when Ghetto Basket has 'em on sale for .59/lb, we stock up. Any bone is fine as long as it's not cooked in any way...

Don't anyone even bother with the "raw chicken/chicken bones are bad" BS, save it. If you've never tried it, you have no basis. Again, try it and you'll thank me...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

100% Bully sticks are special treats for my pups since theyre so expensive.

I regularly get marrow bones at the grocery store they have marrow in them dogs love them and they're super cheap in the butcher section of almost any grocery store. Dogs will go ballistic for days with them. I usually take them away when I am home and give them back when I leave for the day so they last longer.

FYI Chicken bones left blood in my last dogs stool for days. She ate chicken it wasn't a fun couple of days.

Also Kong Wobbler is an awesome way to keep pups occupied. Fill it with treats that are just big enough to fit through the hole, I throw half a tennis ball inside to make it harder for the treats to pop out too. You do need to teach the dogs how to use it but they learn fast.

I usually give them the bone and then when they're like OMG DA BONEZ I drop this quietly in the opposite corner for them to find later.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Beinggodisgreat; 12-27-16 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beinggodisgreat View Post
    FYI Chicken bones left blood in my last dogs stool for days. She ate chicken it wasn't a fun couple of days.
    Was the chicken cooked? In all my years, I've never had an issue with RAW chicken (and chicken bones)...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Those Kong things are awesome... we scoop a bit of peanut butter on the inside and freeze it. Pup goes crazy over it.

0 Not allowed!