Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Down, Doggy, Down!

Down, Doggy, Down!

Maybe some of you have dealt with this before...got any tips/tricks? I have a Boston Terrier. She's a good dog all around. In the past she liked to curl up in a large "comfy" chair that was old and I didnt much care whether she slept on it or not. We'd even share it! lol A couple of months ago I replaced it with a couple of love seat type couches and dont want her climbing on them. I asked my vet, and he said to lay out lengths of tin foil on them while out of the house. He said dogs dont like the foil and they'll stay off. And it has worked. My kids are home from college, and last night they didnt place the foil back after they hit the hay. Sure enough this morning, I come out to find her asleep on one of the couches!! I shoo'd her off, but obviously the foil has made no impression to stay off the furniture except when the foil is in place. I know she thinks she can get up on it cuz she did on the old chair. But I need to break this habit. I dont want to have to keep laying out foil for years to come!! One other thing the vet suggested...laying out "loaded" mouse traps, face down, so that if the dog trips them, they'll snap up in the air, scaring the dog but not hurting her. I havent tried this yet. You guys have any other ideas??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Down, Doggy, Down!

its tough to break a habit like that when they have been doing it their whole lives.
    we got new furniture and i have to put a barstool on the loveseat and the otto in the chair.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Down, Doggy, Down!

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    its tough to break a habit like that when they have been doing it their whole lives.
    we got new furniture and i have to put a barstool on the loveseat and the otto in the chair.
    I feel better knowing I'm not alone on this! Try the tin foil...it beats moving that furniture around!

Down, Doggy, Down!

Try this....pretty sure it will work for dogs too...

YouTube - How to Keep the Cat Off the Couch

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Down, Doggy, Down!

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Try this....pretty sure it will work for dogs too...

YouTube - How to Keep the Cat Off the Couch

LMAO!! Now why didnt I think of that?! I'll give it a try.

Down, Doggy, Down!

Consider an animal behaviorist? Our daily dog walker is one so we get real bang for the buck. heres a solution in your area, Pet Behavior Problems.com. Our help is in Derry NH which is right next door, not sure of her travel range but she is very good. and yelling does not work

Down, Doggy, Down!

Thanks for the link, Chris. It's definitely an option.

Down, Doggy, Down!

Will the dog jump on the couch when you're in the room? If so, you need to work with her when she's in the room. My idea would be to let her jump on the couch, then shoo her off(or use a leash and tug a little at the same time). Even put something on the couch she'll want, like a toy or treat. Keep doing it over and over again until she won't do it anymore.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

Down, Doggy, Down!

The problem isn't the dog, it's the sofa. Get rid of it.

"Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

Down, Doggy, Down!

at least your dog isnt this dumb
    never give up

EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Littering and........

Down, Doggy, Down!

Thats going to be tricky, because if you aren't home and the coach is available, the dog is going to lay on it. Wouldn't you?

It isn't a matter of "teaching" it; he knows how to be not be on the couch. Its a matter of making something about laying on the couch so very negative that the dog wont want to do it. You also have to make the dog think the couch is the source of the negativity, not you, or else the reason to stay off the couch leaves with you.

Personally, I like the mouse trap idea. Something like that should work well.