Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

drainage/run off problems

I'm having some problems that I believe are being caused, or at least made worse, by some construction going on behind my house. This has gone on for 2 years.
    I bought the house 4 years ago, and while I know the area has always been wet (bottom of a hill) its steadily been getting worse as construction goes on. There is gound water coming up to the surface that makes a stream across my lawn. Yesterday there was a river of muddy water running down the hill and making a pond at the end of my driveway. I spoke with the engineer who is responsible for the drainage today. He told me it would not happen again, and things would only get better from this point on. The problem is, I've been told things would get better for the last six months. Things just get worse.
    I've called the planning board, highway department, d.e.p., the engineering firm, and the developer. Who else do I call? The developer has already been on FOX 25 news for similar problems at this job site. Do I just say fuck it and call a lawyer?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

YUP

Have a freind that is a general contractor / land developer, he started digging for house foundations and got them past the town conservation and BOH, same situation happened to the house below except far worse.

2 years went by and the builder did nothing to remedy the problem, he hoped they would just give up, but they got more flooding and they called a lawyer and the builder had to pay to fix the house and pay to put in the fix for the groundwater problem

I guess it all depends on the level you want to take it.

you could just make a water feature where the water is coming up and that would give you a cool yard or you could just love the grass you have and sue his company's pants off maybe spend a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ just to get the water out of your yard or only spend $$$$ and have a cool water feature with a bridge and coy fish and lillypads

up to you!

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I've called the planning board, highway department, d.e.p., the engineering firm, and the developer. Who else do I call? The developer has already been on FOX 25 news for similar problems at this job site. Do I just say fuck it and call a lawyer?
    pray to the almighty, none of the people you have called can make it stop raining

most site designs take into account 25 or 50 year storm events, we've had 4 or 5 100year events in the past 2 years

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

There has been running water for the last 6 weeks, it goes across my lawn before it hits sand and goes underground. I was all set to put drainage in myself, but yesterday one of their retention ponds overfilled and drained on my land. No amount of work is going to cope with that kind of volume, at least nothing I'm capable of. They say that will never happen again, but I'm not convinced. I really just would like for the developer to cover the cost of materials and machine rental, I don't want to pay for the drainage alone. Dunno.

I guess I'm a little cunty about this because it's my first house. I just finished putting in the front lawn last spring, we cut down a shit load of trees and hauled in material. That was a good $8,000. I work on my house constantly, every room has been done. I put in as much time, effort, and money as I can. The house appraised at $218k in '04, and $310k in '06. I put in $50k in cash, from nights weekends of side work. Now I can spend $5k on drainage or a lawyer, instead of putting it toward a garage, or savings. I have record amounts of sand in my vagina right now.

Water running underground = no good

Gonna make a sink hole in your front yard someday...maybe tomorrow....who knows?

More importantly--> You cut down a bunch of trees to make grass?

Please tell me it's the kind of grass that's worth cutting trees down for...maybe Mother's still mad at you and this is her retribution...??

Department of Environmental Services. I'd think they'd be all over it. Although, they may be all over you for cutting down too many trees...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Water running underground = no good

Gonna make a sink hole in your front yard someday...maybe tomorrow....who knows?

More importantly--> You cut down a bunch of trees to make grass?

Please tell me it's the kind of grass that's worth cutting trees down for...maybe Mother's still mad at you and this is her retribution...??
    No, not the good grass. I am fresh out for two solid weeks, hence the sandy vag.

Just Registered

I have record amounts of sand in my vagina right now.
    You should redirect some of that drainage appropriately to relieve said sand, no?

I am right there with you...neighbors decided to make their yard treeless...my driveway is now a mudpond.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

No, not the good grass. I am fresh out for two solid weeks, hence the sandy vag.
    <tokes the joint> Bummer.

Hey burnham, I gotta ask, are you and somestrangeguy neighbors by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by burnham
    I just finished putting in the front lawn last spring, we cut down a shit load of trees...
    Quote Originally Posted by somestrangeguy
    I am right there with you...neighbors decided to make their yard treeless
    So....neighbors, yes? Sounds like it to me...

Just Registered

haha! except construction stopped here 3 years ago, and there are about 12,000 people 'down hill' from me. Unfortunately my uckfing neighbors are not those people

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

I talked with the planning board, d.e.p., and the developer today. I have a meeting with the planning board in a week, the developer will be there as well. The develper and his engineer are meeting with the d.e.p. in two weeks about other issues, and now they have something else to talk about. The d.e.p. and planning board had heard from other neighbors and knew about the situation.

I had left three messages for the developer without a returned phone call before I started making other calls. The thing is, I work in new construction, and I'm honestly not trying to be difficult. I like to see new homes being built. The fact that I couldn't get a call back without pressure from the state doesn't make me want to be pateint anymore.

I'm trying not to piss off the neighbors, or at least trying not to give them a good reason to be pissed. When I leveled the front yard I used sand and put in drainage so I wouldn't have a soggy mess. They're all pretty happy with what I've done, and think I should sue the developer. <scrapes the bowl>

Last edited by burnham; 11-09-07 at 05:34 PM.