Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Driveway Paving in Boston

Driveway Paving in Boston

Does anyone have a recommendation for driveway paving in Boston? Looking to get a project done before the winter. Would be about 30' X 10' of brand new pavement replacing a grassy area and concrete walkway. W

Looking for first hand experiences.

Thanks!

Driveway Paving in Boston-img_8647-jpg
    Driveway Paving in Boston-img_8646-jpg
    Driveway Paving in Boston-img_8645-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Driveway Paving in Boston-img_8647-jpg   Driveway Paving in Boston-img_8646-jpg   Driveway Paving in Boston-img_8645-jpg  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 10-16-17 at 12:59 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: Driveway Paving in Boston

Do you have a Nextdoor site? Those are usually good places for referrals. I’ll check on ours, which may even overlap yours.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

that job is a lot more than paving, building a base prior to pavement, removal of unsuitable base material, replace with gravel, grading, compaction

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Got some names for you, checking which ones can do the site prep as Randy mentioned. Next door neighbor had to do similar project but it went 75’ uphill to a garage and turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    that job is a lot more than paving, building a base prior to pavement, removal of unsuitable base material, replace with gravel, grading, compaction
    Yep, likely a small retaining wall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Got some names for you, checking which ones can do the site prep as Randy mentioned. Next door neighbor had to do similar project but it went 75’ uphill to a garage and turn around.
    Greatly appreciated. I've reached out to the following based on a google search.

-Lazaro - no response yet
    -Bannon - no response yet
    -Mathias - Said they are booked out for the year (I asked for a referral but no response yet)
    -Reading Asphalt Corp - Replied, do not service Roxbury

At some point during the summer I had a guy walk up my driveway and try to get me to hire him out of the blue. He was doing half the homes on my street. I forget the company name, but I remember googling it and there not being any professional record, which makes me think no insurance either. I'll try to dig up the business card.

xxaarraa

Subscribed for what you find Jetta. I have a driveway repaving project lined up for next Spring.

good luck finding someone to do a job that small...unless the paver has another job in your area and buys a little extra mix to hit your job afterwards with it already pre-prepped...you may have better luck with a concrete or stamped concrete guy or maybe even an excavation company do it...or could always prep it yourself or just have an excavator prep it and buy a load of reclaimed pavement millings to spread and compact...i would suggest doing that in the summer though so the sun can hit them so they can heat up and compact well...here is a conversion factor for you so you know how much you will need (adjust to fit your needs)

0.056 tons mix / square yard at 1" depth

Last edited by Point37; 10-17-17 at 03:44 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

So far I have

Fred DeRoma and Son In Roslindale (617) 327-3030.

Joseph Cicconi 617-782-4133. Cicconi & Sons Construction Co., Inc.

Believe it or not, a business card for PaveTech (Paving, masonry and landscaping company in Newton, MA) got left on my door yesterday. I shot them an email this morning and the guy was here this afternoon with an estimate. I'd like to get another estimate, but here is the work and his price.

$12,000
    - Level/cultivate ground
    - Remove and dispose concrete in the ground and the small wall on the right side of the house
    - Build retaining wall along the driveway. Would replace the small wall he is removing and add about a foot of width to that area
    - Install french drain at end of driveway
    - Pave entire area (about 42x12)
    - Brick patio and walkway along the house, granite step between the patio and walkway.

Any thoughts? I have a few guys on the North Shore that do this work I am checking with to on pricing. They won't come to Boston to do it. Trying to get another estimate as well.

Thayer Nursery built a stone wall and did a lot of grading next door.

They’re in Milton. Landscape Design << Thayer Nursery

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    So far I have

Fred DeRoma and Son In Roslindale (617) 327-3030.

Joseph Cicconi 617-782-4133. Cicconi & Sons Construction Co., Inc.
    Appreciate the recommendations. I spoke with both of these and they're booked out for the year. Good for them!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Believe it or not, a business card for PaveTech (Paving, masonry and landscaping company in Newton, MA) got left on my door yesterday. I shot them an email this morning and the guy was here this afternoon with an estimate. I'd like to get another estimate, but here is the work and his price.

$12,000
    - Level/cultivate ground
    - Remove and dispose concrete in the ground and the small wall on the right side of the house
    - Build retaining wall along the driveway. Would replace the small wall he is removing and add about a foot of width to that area
    - Brick patio and walkway along the house, granite step between the patio and walkway.

Any thoughts? I have a few guys on the North Shore that do this work I am checking with to on pricing. They won't come to Boston to do it. Trying to get another estimate as well.
    Buy it now.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post

$12,000
    - Level/cultivate ground

Id insist on more detail regarding the base and pavement...is he going to install and compact a base? How thick, what material, how compacted? Same info for the pavement itself.

Id also, personally, insist that the pavement be placed in warm weather (just like state DOTs require)

Almost all pavement looks perfect when installed. Up in New England, only the ones with a good thick base of compacted processed stone (or comparable substitute), placed over a prepared sub-base that wont move, with pavement of suitable thickness, placed in the right temperature, will look good after a few freeze thaw seasons.

Want proof? Lots of golf courses skimp on base prep and lay thin pavement for their golf cart paths...thats why sveryone drives on the grass by year three when the paths are potholed and frostheaved like a bombing range.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I’d insist on more detail regarding the base and pavement...is he going to install and compact a base? How thick, what material, how compacted? Same info for the pavement itself.

I’d also, personally, insist that the pavement be placed in warm weather (just like state DOTs require)

Almost all pavement looks perfect when installed. Up in New England, only the ones with a good thick base of compacted processed stone (or comparable substitute), placed over a prepared sub-base that wont move, with pavement of suitable thickness, placed in the right temperature, will look good after a few freeze thaw seasons.

Want proof? Lots of golf courses skimp on base prep and lay thin pavement for their golf cart paths...thats why sveryone drives on the grass by year three when the paths are potholed and frostheaved like a bombing range.
    ^^^what he said...def need more information...all materials and installation means and methods should be known...how many lifts of pavement and at what thicknesses?...compacted with a roller or a plate compactor?...what material is the wall?...what thickness of loam will be spread?...seed or hydroseed?...what will the french drain consist of?...etc.

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

French drain? Insist on a Freedom Drain!