Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Driving route from NH to Biloxi, MS

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Driving route from NH to Biloxi, MS

I am going on an adventure soon. Three day trip. NH to Biloxi, MS. Driving an older Subaru Outback and hauling a trailer with a ZX10R. For Gary at Keesler AFB. He keeps it all and Jen and I fly home.
    The Outback is in good shape but it has 230k miles so I don't want to push it any more than necessary. So looking for a route that is not all 80+ MPH the entire trip.
    I am thinking of going through Hartford and staying on Rt 84 all the way to Scranton, PA.
    Then 81 to TN, then 59/65 through AL and finally 10 to Biloxi.
    I figure around 9 hours a day driving for 3 days.
    Anyone happen to have any experience with any of these routes? Particularly Rt 84 from Hartford to Scranton? Is it worth going that route to avoid NY city area ?
    I'd rather spend an extra hour driving through nice country, rather than have to go 80 MPH hauling a trailer over crappy roads in some industrial area.

1 Not allowed!

Re: Driving route from NH to Biloxi, MS

When I drive down to see my parents, I go that route. In my opinion it is worth missing NYC that way, but you will still clip Harrisburg which isn't great but tons better than NYC, Balt, DC transit.
    But if you are trying not to tax the old Subaru, you are hitting the mountains pretty hard through WVA, VA, and TN. But you can take it easy and tuck into the truck lane and roll slow with them up hills.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

84 in Hartford and in Danbury is usually a traffic problem. We just got back from the Delaware water gap yesterday and it was a mess.

If your really trying to avoid interstate, look at US 6.

0 Not allowed!

another route to consider is taking Route 9 & Ny 7 out to Albany then 88 to Binghampton, then yer on 81, if you start at 1am, you won't have any traffic getting around Albany, by the time you get to Harrisburg, its 9-10 am after rush hour

I never much liked going thru Hartford or Danbury

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    another route to consider is taking Route 9 & Ny 7 out to Albany then 88 to Binghampton, then yer on 81, if you start at 1am, you won't have any traffic getting around Albany, by the time you get to Harrisburg, its 9-10 am after rush hour

Being in albany I take this route when I'm heading to Nashville. It's a nice ride. There's some big mountains but it isn't terrible. Nothing like colorado lol

0 Not allowed!

88 is such a relaxing ride, the last few times I've been out that way there was barely any traffic at all, and that was during July 4th weekend. Also rode it on Memorial Day weekend to do the MABDR, and once again there was next to no traffic. Definitely worth it if you hate traffic.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

88 SUUUUUUUCKS right now.

I use it to get to NYST. THA THUMP THA THUMP THA THUMP for 25 miles. Highway is crumbling BIG time. Expansion joints are jumps now.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    88 SUUUUUUUCKS right now.

I use it to get to NYST. THA THUMP THA THUMP THA THUMP for 25 miles. Highway is crumbling BIG time. Expansion joints are jumps now.
    Been that way for over a decade. It's not getting any better though, lol.

As an alternative to 88 to NYST I recommend the back way. It'll add.... prolly 20 minutes to your ride, but get off at the central bridge/schoharie exit and take rt 30 towards and then through schoharie. Stay on it until you get to blenheim basically, then it'll pop you on a couple back roads and drop you on 23. Very few cars, smooth roads. I go this way every time

0 Not allowed!