Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Drone view

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Drone view

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    That man has told the joke, "Why do divorces cost so much? because they're worth it!", more than once, I guarantee it.
    Bernadette is one of the marina managers. Over the 4th of July holiday, a group of drunks were headed back to the marina at night, outside the marked channel, and ran aground maybe 100 feet from the marina. Fortunately, they were in a small jet boat, the bottom is soft, no one was hurt, and the tide was coming in so there was no major problem, it was simply an inconvenience for them until the tide lifted the boat off the sand, which does not take long. But being drunk, they did not see it that way and they started yelling to express their dissatisfaction and distress. One of them concluded that Bernadette had moved the channel buoys while they were out boating and that was why they were off course, so he was screaming "fuck you Bernadette!" at the top of his lungs. It was hysterical.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've decided I want to build a drone (or three). Goal is to pry my 5 year old away from the television and maybe inject some STEM-ish stuff in a fun (for me) way.

I bought a $50 fly-sky transmitter and have been learning about cheap DIY builds. Goal is to pick something we can 3D print most of the parts for. I bought some PETG and TPU filament to try out. When the transmitter arrives we will buy a simulator and see how that goes.

I see this going one of two ways.

1: The kid rejects it completely. I waste my evenings playing with the sim for a while, eventually build a cheap drone, take some bad video of my house from the air and screw around with it a few times. Maybe fly it indoors and harass the dogs. Glorified toy for myself

2: The kids eats it up. We start printing all kinds of crap, most of which works poorly. I eventually teach her to solder and do things with her actual hands. We crash the living crap out of some drones and go through a jumbo pack of props. Eventually I buy a 2nd transmitter and we race each other in the backyard, maybe even buy some of those geeky goggles and FPV. Her kid reflexes put me to shame. She starts drone racing, goes pro, gets a scholarship to Harvard to fly for their drone flying team. I live vicariously and avoid a massive college tuition bill. This can work

I'm leaning towards a Squirt ducted 3" "cinewhoop" frame. He sells CF plates (for reasonable) and we can print the ducts and everything else.
    No idear yet for the electronics. Something small for that I guess.

I'm going to need a new action cam to use with it. I have been thinking of buying a new go-pro session knockoff recently anyway. Something with built in stabilization.

I figure we'll fly LOS for now. But FPV looks cool as shit. If it goes well I may throw the credit card at this and invest in the DJI digital FPV system. $500 for the goggles though.

Anyone wanna buy a WR450?! New hobby moving in.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I just want to see you with the goggles on...

Paul_E_D

"Just"

Uuuuh, Mmmm, maybe I could have worded that better!

Paul_E_D

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I've decided I want to build a drone (or three). Goal is to pry my 5 year old away from the television and maybe inject some STEM-ish stuff in a fun (for me) way.

I bought a $50 fly-sky transmitter and have been learning about cheap DIY builds. Goal is to pick something we can 3D print most of the parts for. I bought some PETG and TPU filament to try out. When the transmitter arrives we will buy a simulator and see how that goes.

I see this going one of two ways.

1: The kid rejects it completely. I waste my evenings playing with the sim for a while, eventually build a cheap drone, take some bad video of my house from the air and screw around with it a few times. Maybe fly it indoors and harass the dogs. Glorified toy for myself

2: The kids eats it up. We start printing all kinds of crap, most of which works poorly. I eventually teach her to solder and do things with her actual hands. We crash the living crap out of some drones and go through a jumbo pack of props. Eventually I buy a 2nd transmitter and we race each other in the backyard, maybe even buy some of those geeky goggles and FPV. Her kid reflexes put me to shame. She starts drone racing, goes pro, gets a scholarship to Harvard to fly for their drone flying team. I live vicariously and avoid a massive college tuition bill. This can work

I'm leaning towards a Squirt ducted 3" "cinewhoop" frame. He sells CF plates (for reasonable) and we can print the ducts and everything else.
    No idear yet for the electronics. Something small for that I guess.

I'm going to need a new action cam to use with it. I have been thinking of buying a new go-pro session knockoff recently anyway. Something with built in stabilization.

I figure we'll fly LOS for now. But FPV looks cool as shit. If it goes well I may throw the credit card at this and invest in the DJI digital FPV system. $500 for the goggles though.

Anyone wanna buy a WR450?! New hobby moving in.
    You ever in the area of Gillette stadium? I would like to hook you up with some stuff for this venture, my old race drone included.
    And check out “flight test”, they do shit tons of STEM stuff.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

tell me more about this old race drone...

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    tell me more about this old race drone...
    It’s just that, an old race drone. They have come leaps and bounds since I built this one. 250 class and ready to bind and fly fpv. I’m sure the FW needs some updates, but it works the way it is now too.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

What's a "250 class"?
    My read is the current latest-n-greatest is a "5 inch". And you can build a reasonably quick one for as little as $100!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What's a "250 class"?
    My read is the current latest-n-greatest is a "5 inch". And you can build a reasonably quick one for as little as $100!
    250mm span, standard racer size.

My hex is 550! Not very sporty though

Drone view-f0c03673-85d4-485d-8d41-172e0dd32630What he said.
    And you gotta be on the FB, find this group and join. Lots of great package deals.FPV market

Last edited by PinHead; 03-05-20 at 07:05 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123