Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

eclipse pics

eclipse pics

not as good as I was hoping, my piece of welders glass is as good of a mirror as it is a sun filter

eclipse pics-121-jpg

wish I had a right angle adapter and camera attachment for my old theodolite, it has a 30x scope, I have the sun filter

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Re: eclipse pics

I was pissed because I forgot my good camera at home so I had to settle with taking a cellphone picture through a #12 filter plate. I fought the damn camera to get the exposure even remotely close to acceptable. A little bit of cloud cover helped with the overexposure. This is the best that I could muster:

eclipse pics-eclipse-jpg

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

That's all I got. Made a pinhole viewer with my kiddo. Then we tried wearing 6 pairs of sunglasses at once and it worked great.

(No, I didn't blind my kid...)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    #12 filter plate
    mine is a #15 filter, #14 is really minimum you should use to observe the sun. I bought mine several years ago specifically to spot the sun for astronomic north observations with my theodolite

RandyO
    IBA#9560

All I saw was a text from Noel that had some guy's junk covering the sun lol

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Honda
    LRRS AM# 772
    Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Yoshimura / Lucas Oil / DP Brakes / AXO America / Vortex Racing/ Woodcraft/ Racer Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    mine is a #15 filter, #14 is really minimum you should use to observe the sun. I bought mine several years ago specifically to spot the sun for astronomic north observations with my theodolite
    It's well established that shade #12 and darker offer suitable protection for direct sun viewing. #12 can be a little too bright for comfort with some people but it's still not enough to harm your eyes. With dark sunglasses on, which I normally wear outdoors, the #12 was just right.

I'd be suspect of #15 shade claims. The ANSI Z87.1 standard that defines them only goes to #14.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 08-21-17 at 09:44 PM.

might be a #14, it was darkest I could get at All Welding in Rochester, 33 years ago, don't have the original sleeve anymore, and ANSI standards have been modified several times in the meantime

as I recall, they asked why I wanted one so dark, I wasn't the normal customer that was replacing glass in a welding mask

Last edited by RandyO; 08-21-17 at 09:48 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

#14 is really dark so unless you are arc welding above 500A or air carbon arc gouging, you generally use something lighter. There aren't too many people dealing with 500+ Amp processes.

I had a hard time sourcing #14 filters at the last minute because the places in my immediate area didn't stock it. The machine shop at my work had a ton of #12 plates which they never use so they gave me one.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 08-21-17 at 10:06 PM.

#14 is really dark so unless you are arc welding above 500A or air carbon arc gouging, you generally use something lighter. There aren't too many people dealing with 500+ Amp processes..
    I guess I wasn't clear, I got my glass specifically for spotting the sun, not for welding, as dark as it is, it's still not as dark as the sun filter that came with my theodolite, and of course, not optically correct either, I just use it to aim my buck sights before I look through the scope that uses this filter

Topcon OF3A Solar Filter For ES/OS/PS Series Total Stations | eBay

RandyO
    IBA#9560

It was commentary on why you get questioned for wanting such a dark shade. It's uncommon for people to be doing work heavy enough to warrant using them.

2 pairs of sunglasses, plus a tinted window and a rain lip on that window seemed to work. Yes, I'm serious.

Last edited by maxim_X; 08-22-17 at 08:13 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

It was commentary on why you get questioned for wanting such a dark shade. It's uncommon for people to be doing work heavy enough to warrant using them.
    putting my plate away, I discovered the original sleeve inside the manila envelope I keep it in now, as a testament to how old it is, it's a Green Diamond plate, on the front of the sleeve, it says it meets federal spec GGG-H-211b, and on the back, ANSI Z-87.1-1979. no reliable notation of the shade, there is just a hand written #15 (in my handwriting) the name Bob, and a phone #, so the #15 probably has nothing to do with the shade. I believe I bought it in 1984 when I bought my first total station theodolite

as much of a concern as burning my own retinas, it's a total station that has a laser and laser receiver built into the scope, aiming the scope directly into the sun without a filter can burn out the receiver portion

RandyO
    IBA#9560

not as good as I was hoping, my piece of welders glass is as good of a mirror as it is a sun filter

eclipse pics-121-jpg

wish I had a right angle adapter and camera attachment for my old theodolite, it has a 30x scope, I have the sun filter
    Like you, I used my welding mask, and all I got was a good reflection or what looked exactly like the normal sun. I tried a point and shoot camera and my iPhone with no luck.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
    Like you, I used my welding mask, and all I got was a good reflection or what looked exactly like the normal sun. I tried a point and shoot camera and my iPhone with no luck.
    That's what I was fighting with my cell phone. With the plate farther away from the camera, you get reflections but the additional light from the sky allows the phone to set a more reasonable exposure. Press the plate against the camera and you eliminate the reflections but there is so little light other than the small image of the Sun that the camera can't focus or set the exposure properly. I probably have 2 dozen unusable pictures on my phone just to get the one I posted here and even that's overexposed and the focus is a little soft.

I believe I bought it in 1984 when I bought my first total station theodolite.
    Not knowing what a theodolite was, I looked it up and now all my Google Ads are trying to sell me one. Can a homeowner find a use for a Leica 1-minute TS06 at around $14K?

Not knowing what a theodolite was, I looked it up and now all my Google Ads are trying to sell me one. Can a homeowner find a use for a Leica 1-minute TS06 at around $14K?
    a 1 minute TS-06.... for $14k, maybe they will find a sucker, my current instrument is a TS-06, paid $7500 new, and mine is the 3 second version, twenty times as accurate, cost new of the one minute version is about $5500, (instrument only) add a tripod, data collector, couple prism poles, instrument pack, and a few other goodies ya might get it up to $10keclipse pics-ts06-jpg

Last edited by RandyO; 08-23-17 at 03:24 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

1-minute at around $14K?
    I looked it up, the 1 second version lists @ 14k, my experience, like dealing with a used car salesman, you can get that price down to between $10k and $11k

one second is waay to sensitive even for my needs as a surveyor, that's good enuf for geodetic surveying, with the instrument set up, it'll feel the vibrations of trucks going by on a road a couple hundred feet away. even my 3 second accuracy instrument if using aluminum tripod (I use a heavier wooden tripod for this exact reason) will go out of level when the sun comes out from behind a cloud, we have to lay a bearing surface under the legs if setup on pavement or frozen ground, if not, the tips of legs gradually sinking into soft tar or in winter pressure on tip melting it's way into the icy surface

RandyO
    IBA#9560

A typo on my end. The $14K TS06 is the 1 second model. The 3 second model you have was listed at $10.3K with no accessories so the site I found it on is getting a pretty healthy markup.

one second is waay to sensitive even for my needs as a surveyor
    If I did my math correctly, 1 arc-sec of error at 1 mile would be in the area of 1/3 of an inch. That's pretty damn impressive.

How accurate are these for shooting distances to a reflector?

ya, those advertise prices are inflated this is my "local" vendor, they have store in Yarmouth, Me, (original) one in Woburn, and I think now one in Albany, NY, I have been doing business with them almost since they opened 40 years ago, I've had my TS-06 for almost 10 years

RandyO
    IBA#9560

How accurate are these for shooting distances to a reflector?
    2 parts per million + any error in having the prism perfectly over the point you are measuring to (generally accepted as 3mm±) Range is over 2 miles

many people are confused how lasers measure distances, they think that the instrument measures the time that it takes to send and receive a signal. not how it works

the laser is a certain wavelength, it counts the cycles from then it starts sending the laser beam, to when it begins to receive them back and multiplies that number by the wavelength. Then it also determines how far out of phase the beam is when it returns, that determines the fractional part of a wavelength that is added, before it is divided in half, because you actually measured an out and back distance

Last edited by RandyO; 08-23-17 at 05:03 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

My shot at it

eclipse pics-21015732_10102991375825822_5449168825824737446_o-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

From Nashville

eclipse pics-image-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!