Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 307090100101102103104105106107108109110
Results 2,726 to 2,749 of 2749

educate me 401-k

Re: educate me 401-k

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    It does if you want to refinance or pull an equity loan
    Indeed. But with rates being low for so long I can’t imagine there will be much refinancing going.
    Def impacts equity loans. Personally I’m very against and I would never pull an equity loan, but I know I’m the exception not the rule.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Indeed. But with rates being low for so long I canít imagine there will be much refinancing going.
    Def impacts equity loans. Personally Iím very against and I would never pull an equity loan, but I know Iím the exception not the rule.
    I cannot gauge how common refi's are happening nowadays but I can say I have won several jobs this year from folks who did a refinance or equity loan of some kind.....obviously it's not in my place to pry but they hinted at doing something financial that involved their home value in some way.

I think the bottom of all this blows out within 2 yrs. I also think that when it does blow out, it won't be nearly as catastrophic as the gov't bailout days. The big mistake there was all the 0 down, 0 interest nonsense.

At least this time around the interest rates aren't zero so I don't believe the sting will hurt as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    For selling investments and keeping them in the 401k account? Not last time I checked?
    I read cashing out, as cashing outÖ

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I read cashing out, as cashing out…
    That would be dumb lol.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I think using a cash-out refi to improve your property in the current real-estate and interest rate landscape is perfectly rational. Maybe even rational for paying for other necessities; cars, etc. In fact, I am a bit ashamed of myself for not leveraging that technique a bit more. I could use some new windows and siding. Missus wants to reno the kitchen. Right now borrowing is cheap and saving is expensive. Now sure seems like the time to spend!
    Definitely a great time to consolidate debt.

I'm thankful that I am close enough to "FU" money that I'm not sweating a crash. If it happens it happens. I think I have enough to weather 6 months of unemployment with minimal set-back. Possibly more.

Making this post I do really wish I'd paid someone to do the siding and windows this year.
    Wish I'd got more serious about that barn I'm dreaming of too.

We shall see.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

I think K-recovery is happening for another 12-24 months. House prices continue to "just go up" in this pandemic. Welcome to the future.

There will certainly be some affect if there are mass foreclosures but anyone trying to buy this year is competing with some very rich people. Paying cash, no inspection, 10k’s over asking. It’s not a bunch of “poor” people getting easy mortgages on their 3rd house. For the most part.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    I think K-recovery is happening for another 12-24 months. House prices continue to "just go up" in this pandemic. Welcome to the future.
    with people working from home, they are willing to pay metropolitan Boston prices for secluded property in NH/VT

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Paying cash, no inspection, 10k’s over asking. .
    my nephew is doing exactly that, northern Vermont, $10k over asking, no inspection, others bid higher over asking, but did not waive inspection, my nephews was the one that was accepted. He anticipates putting in a new heating system as well after his own inspection, roof within 10 years, but it does have a reasonable amount of 20ac. land

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    with people working from home, they are willing to pay metropolitan Boston prices for secluded property in NH/VT
    Don’t put NH and VT as if they are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    This is one aspect of it, for sure.
    The other is that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. The person who was doing everything they could to save up for a down-payment is now pretty screwed against the person that can pay cash or the person with parents who can pay cash.

FYI, typical 2-3 bedroom homes in Marin county listed for $1.3-1.5M are selling $3-600k over asking as the norm. At this point list price means diddly squat out here.
    I have friends in the market now...for some reason. Those numbers terrify me. Getting locked into $6-8k a month terrifies me. However....that isn't the norm for most people. There is a lot of family money and over night millionaires that are likely paying cash. The typical, salary collecting human is more or less getting screwed....even if that salary is very, very good.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

I'm thankful that I am close enough to "FU" money that I'm not sweating a crash. If it happens it happens. I think I have enough to weather 6 months of unemployment with minimal set-back. Possibly more.
    Thatís an interesting definition of FU money.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

The problem is they stopped making land a very long time ago and stealing it from the locals became illegal 200 years ago. Are we still talking about 401k?

Something else to consider depending what kind of crash may happen in real estate and if we use some historical interest rates.
    A house that currently costs $350k and letís say you can get it with 2.5% rate. Your payment would be just under $1400/month.
    A 10% correction would drop that house to $315k. Letís just call it $300k for easier math (almost 15% correction). But letís assume interest rates now become 4.5% (still reasonable). The same payment would be just over $1500/month.

One of the big changes I guess is that not only the market has been going up for a long time but the % it jumps up are insane.
    We would have to see a correction bigger than has ever happened to go back to a ďcheapĒ market. Shits wild no matter how you think about it.

Something else to consider depending what kind of crash may happen in real estate and if we use some historical interest rates.
    A house that currently costs $350k and letís say you can get it with 2.5% rate. Your payment would be just under $1400/month.
    A 10% correction would drop that house to $315k. Letís just call it $300k for easier math (almost 15% correction). But letís assume interest rates now become 4.5% (still reasonable). The same payment would be just over $1500/month.

One of the big changes I guess is that not only the market has been going up for a long time but the % it jumps up are insane.
    We would have to see a correction bigger than has ever happened to go back to a ďcheapĒ market. Shits wild no matter how you think about it.
    Amortize your two examples out to full term and look at the delta in total interest paid. Its substantial. If you really want to get spooky look at something like an 8.5% rate.

Dealer/Agent ďwhere do need your payment to be?Ē Lol.

Not to derail this thread further but a little bit of devils advocate in regards to all the real estate talk.

Everybody talks about a bubble and correction... but that's a very one sided way to look at things.

THIS could actually be the bubble and the correction to the true market value that has been too low and essentially subsidized. With minimum wage going up across the country closer to what it should be if you adjust a set rate to inflation and the pandemic grants giving people some more money who might not have been able to save that up before, more and more people are in a position to buy and now the demand and pricing is where it should have been all along if the wages weren't stagnant.

I say that from the side that I don't truly believe that this is a "bubble" that will burst, nor that there will be a correction. I'm quite certain that these are new normal prices.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Amortize your two examples out to full term and look at the delta in total interest paid. Its substantial. If you really want to get spooky look at something like an 8.5% rate.

Dealer/Agent “where do need your payment to be?” Lol.
    Yup. that is another good point. I was going to say, I dont want to imagine rates at 5%+ again, 8.5% sounds terrifying. That being said, I miss going to houses and offering $50k below asking LOL or buying used vehicles in great shape for like $5000, good times.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yup. that is another good point. I was going to say, I dont want to imagine rates at 5%+ again, 8.5% sounds terrifying. That being said, I miss going to houses and offering $50k below asking LOL or buying used vehicles in great shape for like $5000, good times.
    I hate not having the low ball option at peak effectiveness!!

I do agree that this is NOT a bubble. I think we will see a stabilization in the near future, houses maybe stay on the market longer start selling 2% below asking. If we see a crash/correction I predict it would be 5-7%.
    That being said, I am young enough and in a position that I sort of hope for a crash that we have never seen before and a long recover (longer than 08).

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post

Dealer/Agent “where do need your payment to be?” Lol.
    8.5% spooky, think more 18%-19%, I see it coming, Biden will be a repeat of the Carter Administration, I purchased my house in 1982, prime rates on mortgages were 18-19%, in the rural area I lived, I managed a Farmers Home mortgage @ 14Ĺ% I was happy to refinance 3 years later @ 8.5% into the Reagan Adminstration when interest rates started to come down

before Carter, morgage rates were 5-8% and savings accounts got 4-5 %, none of this 0.25% bullshit

hold on to your cheap/nearly free money as long as you can

RandyO
    IBA#9560

The Biden boogeyman strikes again!

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    The Biden boogeyman strikes again!
    What happened ?

Randy happened.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Anyone capitalize on the Dutch Bros (BROS) IPO today? Awesome gains on a quick in and out, well over 50%!

Might be one to watch as they expand eastward.