Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17374748495051525354555657
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1420

educate me 401-k

  1. #1401
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,672

    Re: educate me 401-k


    Just ran the tool. On my employer provided plan alone (not counting IRA's or wife's pension), forecast to roll into the 7 figures between 52 and 53 years old assume 5% rate of return on average and no contribution increases.

    Not sure if that's good or not compared to most who save and plan well, but nice to know I could very well be a millionaire in my early 50's in straight retirement savings alone.

    1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 07-12-19 at 08:33 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  2. #1402
    Lifer Not Sure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,219

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    My broker is a long time trusted family friend
    Said many former friends of Bernie Madoff.


    2 Not allowed!

  3. #1403
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,760

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Honestly I'm already working from a position of "meh, whatever". I'm not quite ready to rage quit if someone pees in my cheerios. But I also don't lose sleep every time the layoff rumor flares up.
    Thatís a good place to be.

    1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  4. #1404
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,931

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Every once and a while it hits me and that hit is liberating.
    Unfortunately I’m not there enough to really own it yet. Biggest fear is that I may never be there. Institutionalization is a bitch.

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #1405
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,810

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Just ran the tool. On my employer provided plan alone (not counting IRA's or wife's pension), forecast to roll into the 7 figures between 52 and 53 years old assume 5% rate of return on average and no contribution increases.

    Not sure if that's good or not compared to most who save and plan well, but nice to know I could very well be a millionaire in my early 50's in straight retirement savings alone.
    thats extremely good if you ask me

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #1406
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,672

    Re: educate me 401-k

    More economic bellwethers are ringing rather loudly.

    https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gf...779/index.html


    RV sales took a 22% plunge from last year. That type of drop has preceded the last 3 recessions.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  7. #1407
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,960

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    More economic bellwethers are ringing rather loudly.

    https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gf...779/index.html


    RV sales took a 22% plunge from last year. That type of drop has preceded the last 3 recessions.

    that is conflicting with the AEC industry, in my experience, surveying/engineering/architecture proceeds construction, and is blooming, we got a good 4-5 years before any significant recession

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  8. #1408
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,672

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    that is conflicting with the AEC industry, in my experience, surveying/engineering/architecture proceeds construction, and is blooming, we got a good 4-5 years before any significant recession
    Who are the ones doing all the building? Middle class?

    My close friend who runs the mortgage department for one of the larger CU's in the area is all in on "this is bad". People are overextending to get into houses and panic buying, much like last time. The only houses that last on the market are half million and up.

    1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  9. #1409
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,810

    Re: educate me 401-k

    The difference from the last time is that people cant really overextend that much. The rules and regulations are so different.
    That’s funny if there really is a correlation with RV sales and economics crashes lol

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #1410
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,960

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Who are the ones doing all the building? Middle class?

    My close friend who runs the mortgage department for one of the larger CU's in the area is all in on "this is bad". People are overextending to get into houses and panic buying, much like last time. The only houses that last on the market are half million and up.
    500+k homes are being built, once you get to the upper end of the market, customers want a custom built home for them, not one built to someone else's spec. Many time when the do sell, they are torn down for new construction, the home was purchased for it's location The current housing market is good in all sectors

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  11. #1411
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,810

    Re: educate me 401-k

    500k house gets you a standard 3bed 3bath 2000sq ft house in new construction in many areas now.

    0 Not allowed!

  12. #1412
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,960

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    500k house gets you a standard 3bed 3bath 2000sq ft house in new construction in many areas now.

    MA market, you can get that in NH for 350

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  13. #1413
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,821

    Re: educate me 401-k

    You mean 1 bed condo's aren't $1M everywhere?!

    2 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

  14. #1414
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,960

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    You mean 1 bed condo's aren't $1M everywhere?!
    maybe on Winni, where I have seen 5 million properties purchased and demolished just to put of a different 5 million home

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; Yesterday at 06:03 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  15. #1415
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,548

    Re: educate me 401-k

    I’m just waiting for Randy to tell me when business is slow so I know when to sell my stonks

    3 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  16. #1416
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,931

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    MA market, you can get that in NH for 350
    Would you be
    Could you be
    Won't you be
    Randy's neighbor

    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...83682410_zpid/

    0 Not allowed!

  17. #1417
    I've been here before. Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,380

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    You mean 1 bed condo's aren't $1M everywhere?!
    Damnit Jay, you beat me to it!

    0 Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2018 LRRS Double Backup Champions GTL and ULSB , 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / Tony's Track Days / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Dyno Solutions / Sport Bike Track Gear / Knox / Brunetto T-Shirts / GMD CompuTrack

  18. #1418
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Running or cycling? 249.17 miles is legit.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS #316 ECK Racing GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  19. #1419
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,960

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Would you be
    Could you be
    Won't you be
    Randy's neighbor

    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...83682410_zpid/
    I did the site design on that home

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  20. #1420
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,672

    Re: educate me 401-k

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    500+k homes are being built, once you get to the upper end of the market, customers want a custom built home for them, not one built to someone else's spec. Many time when the do sell, they are torn down for new construction, the home was purchased for it's location The current housing market is good in all sectors
    These are all spec homes, not custom jobs. And $500k isn't the upper end of the market. Anywhere within an hour of a city with decent paying jobs has 3 bedroom houses in that range, or more. Right now we're seeing $400k-$600k being the middle range of homes. Not starter home, and not homes needing serious renovation, but homes that people would buy after their starter home.

    Another close friend is the head of the architecture division of a large lumber company in Central MA. He is seeing the same thing. Builders aren't building affordable middle class homes ($200k-$300k). Builders are facing a labor shortage and a strange lumber market this year. Forces the contractors to build one bigger more expensive house than a couple smaller houses to maximize profit and minimize how many crews they need. Which, in turn, puts the squeeze on the middle class home market even more.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •