Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone else here brew their own beer?

Just got back into it after a many year hiatus... Got a batch of honey ginger beer fermenting away in my kitchen right now

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

i always wanted to try that. How's it taste?

Done right, homebrewed beer tastes TONS AND TONS better than store bought (even better than some of the best beers out there)

This particular recipe, if it turns out well should be a tasty blonde beer, not too hoppy, with just a hint of ginger... a good Xmas beer if there ever was one.

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

now i'm checking out some beer kits online. any recommendations?

j

Depends on home much you want to spend. You can get started for about $75 and pick up more stuff as you go, or you can buy a package that will get you through your first 20 or so beers...

For about $120 you can get everything you need to make your first batch from www.beer-wine.com, their "Deluxe" kit...

Thats what I got to get restarted again (since I don't really trust brewing equiptment that has sat in my basement for ages)

I'd say its a pretty damn nice kit so far.

Everybody to the limit!

Freshman year of college I made hard cider under the sink in my dorm room with a jug of apple juice, a balloon, and some bread yeast.

Ended up a bit cloudy (no way to filter the dead yeast cultures) and smelled a bit bready but the taste was decent and it got the job done

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Freshman year of college I made hard cider under the sink in my dorm room with a jug of apple juice, a balloon, and some bread yeast.

Ended up a bit cloudy (no way to filter the dead yeast cultures) and smelled a bit bready but the taste was decent and it got the job done
    Ahh, but there IS a way to filter dead yeast cultures. A day before you remove it from fermentation, you add "liquid finings" and keep it real still for 24 hours. Dead yeast cultures precipitate out, and then you can siphon off the "good stuff"

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by hohum
    Ahh, but there IS a way to filter dead yeast cultures. A day before you remove it from fermentation, you add "liquid finings" and keep it real still for 24 hours. Dead yeast cultures precipitate out, and then you can siphon off the "good stuff"
    Hmm, interesting

But they didn't sell that at the Food Lion

Tell me more. I'm up for a project

What are the steps (if you remember)

Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Always wanted to try it out. Maybe I'll ask santa for a starter kit.

How long does it take to ferment?

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by By-Tor
    Tell me more. I'm up for a project

What are the steps (if you remember)
    Well, I sprinkled a little bit of bread yeast in the jug of apple cider, put the balloon over the neck of the jug (fermentation releases gaseous byproducts which must be allowed to expand or your jug will explode, but you can't let air in or it breaks down the alcohol), and stuck it in the cabinet under my sink (aka cool, dark, undisturbed place) for 4 weeks.

Hohum can probably give you some better pointers though. For one, you should use champagne yeast instead of bread yeast, it will give your cider a less bready flavor. But they don't sell that at the Food Lion either

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    Always wanted to try it out. Maybe I'll ask santa for a starter kit.

How long does it take to ferment?
    For most beers (ales), it takes 3 - 6 days in primary fermentation, 10 - 14 days in secondary fermentation, and 14 - 28 days in bottle conditioning. Most beers will be ready to drink about 1 month after you brew them.

Well, I sprinkled a little bit of bread yeast in the jug of apple cider, put the balloon over the neck of the jug (fermentation releases gaseous byproducts which must be allowed to expand or your jug will explode, but you can't let air in or it breaks down the alcohol), and stuck it in the cabinet under my sink (aka cool, dark, undisturbed place) for 4 weeks.

Hohum can probably give you some better pointers though. For one, you should use champagne yeast instead of bread yeast, it will give your cider a less bready flavor. But they don't sell that at the Food Lion either
    Yup, for hard cider you do want to use champagne yeast (or a high quality ale yeast will do too)

The setup described above should work plenty fine, so long as the juice is fairly bacteria free.

Thanks

Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

I brew my own... and work for a brewery.

It's fun, worthwhile and pretty decent tasting. Women are the biggest problem with making beer (It's hot in here.....It's cold in here....etc). You get best results with regulated temps. Best bet? Buy an old fridge, get a digital temp gauge and find where it is closest to 68 degrees and make sure the fridge stays there.

Also spend the money for the big glass jugs. They have a name, but I don't wanna slaughter it.

You'll need a LARGE lobster pot for getting your wort rollin on your stove. Other than that, biggest thing to remember is to sterilize EVERYTHING. Bottles, caps, buckets, funnels, hoses, EVERYTHING. One piece that is contaiminated and your brew will taste like ass.

I'm a fan of hoppy beers!!!! Mmmmm, hops....

We should get a group together for a Saturday tour of Wachusett Brewery. Free beer, and the tour is free, they just ask for a donation to charity ($2 usually). And usually the guys are more than willing to shed some light on brewing techniques.

The smell of hops and 2-row at my second job is SOOOO much better than the smell of cube farms at my primary job.....

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Originally posted by TheIglu
    I brew my own... and work for a brewery.

It's fun, worthwhile and pretty decent tasting. Women are the biggest problem with making beer (It's hot in here.....It's cold in here....etc). You get best results with regulated temps. Best bet? Buy an old fridge, get a digital temp gauge and find where it is closest to 68 degrees and make sure the fridge stays there.

Also spend the money for the big glass jugs. They have a name, but I don't wanna slaughter it.

You'll need a LARGE lobster pot for getting your wort rollin on your stove. Other than that, biggest thing to remember is to sterilize EVERYTHING. Bottles, caps, buckets, funnels, hoses, EVERYTHING. One piece that is contaiminated and your brew will taste like ass.

I'm a fan of hoppy beers!!!! Mmmmm, hops....

We should get a group together for a Saturday tour of Wachusett Brewery. Free beer, and the tour is free, they just ask for a donation to charity ($2 usually). And usually the guys are more than willing to shed some light on brewing techniques.

The smell of hops and 2-row at my second job is SOOOO much better than the smell of cube farms at my primary job.....
    Yup, those big glass jugs are called carboys... Sterilization is key, no doubt. Thats the biggest issue with home brew, but luckily "star san" to the rescue. Just spray and forget, don't even need to rinse. I don't ferment in a fridge because I do primarily Ale's, (different from lagers in that their fermentation temp is more in the 65 - 75 range, where my apartment usually is). If I were doing lagers (55 - 65 ferment temp) I'd invest in a fridge, but since all of my favorite beers are Ale's, I'm golden

I found a lot of info here, well written:
    http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I like wheat beers

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    I found a lot of info here, well written:
    http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I like wheat beers
    I like wheat beers too... They are a little bit special in how they are brewed actually, not the best choice for a first home brew (a simple ale is best), but doable if you are good with recipes and instructions and willing to be dilligent and not slack off while you are workin/fermenting

The next batch is going to be a Belgian Blonde (probably my favorite style of beer, its a partial wheat beer with high alcohol content and low sedimentation)

Sounds tasty.

raisins work good for hard cider let it ferment

then freeze it the stuff that dont freeze is apple jack that shit will loop ya & it dont even taste bad

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

watch it comrad

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

How about winos?

Never made beer, but had fun making wine this year. Finally turning clear & becoming drinkable

http://media.andrewcosta.com/~andrew...ciendo-Il-Vino

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650