Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Entry level software job in MA?

Entry level software job in MA?

I know this isn't a job search site but maybe someone here is looking to hire a recent college grad with a computer science degree?

My son is a UMass Amherst graduate with BS in computer science and a concentration in AI. He's looking for an entry level software engineering or similar position within commuting distance from central Mass. If you or your company is looking for an entry level software engineer/programmer please PM me.

Thanks,
    Tom

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Entry level software job in MA?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    I know this isn't a job search site but maybe someone here is looking to hire a recent college grad with a computer science degree?

My son is a UMass Amherst graduate with BS in computer science and a concentration in AI. He's looking for an entry level software engineering or similar position within commuting distance from central Mass. If you or your company is looking for an entry level software engineer/programmer please PM me.

Thanks,
    Tom
    I graduated with CS concentration in Object orientated languages. And there is plenty in the area/Boston specially a grad from that school he will have no problem at all.

If central ish mass is what you are looking for try this maybe: Possible job. I applied there when I was originally looking. It seems like a cool place to work.

I dont know if I was any help but he will not have a hard time finding one.

2013 Tiger Explorer

I worked at Mathworks for a couple years right outta college. Def a solid place to work. Rated #1 workplace in the US for 2016.

I half regret leaving such a good place to work, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Thanks. I'll pass that on.

Did either of you have any industry experience prior to getting hired? I'm wondering if his lack of an internship or experience is why he hasn't been getting many interviews.

Did either of you have any industry experience prior to getting hired? I'm wondering if his lack of an internship or experience is why he hasn't been getting many interviews.
    I did have experience before getting hired (non internships) My search took months as well in the beginning. but that not might not be why maybe the companies he is applying to. also this is obvious but always follow up. Give them a call.

I think it helps to have an internship under your belt but not required. I had other friends get them without it . Check linkedin as well if he hasn't done so already.

2013 Tiger Explorer

Lifer

There's a lot of factors. Is he applying for jobs that are inline with his experience? Is the resume good? Is he only applying to one place and then hoping to hear back? How long has he been looking?

Is there anyone from the school he can talk with who might have industry contacts? Or he might be able to drop in on an industry day at the school and just tell people he's a recent graduate.

Plan B- if he's got nothing lined up as summer approaches, apply to internships as recent grad. It's not ideal, but tech interns still get paid, puts one on the resume, and gives an opportunity to meet contacts. I'd be kinda surprised if he needed to go this route though.

nedirtriders.com

He's applied to a lot of companies that have entry level software job listings on Indeed, and he's been using UMass career center too. He came really close to landing a job last summer but it fell through at the very end.

IMO there's nothing on his resume that makes him really stand out among other applicants. He may need to take a few more courses in languages that seem to be more in demand than what's on his resume.

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Tom

I had 18 months of coop internship experience before graduating. I landed my first full-time software dev job 3 months before I graduated. I blame the reputation of my school and that coop experience.
    Mandatory coop programs are the shit. Cannot recommend them more.

Downside is no summers "off".

Sorry I can't help with the immediate search. My current shop doesn't seem to hire recent grads. I don't understand why. We should. We should also partner with schools like North Eastern and get more coops in here.

Maybe a tech recruiter/head-hunter? My perception was that there was a shortage of CS grads and finding jobs was pretty easy. Maybe that info is dated.

Mathworks is good but very strict now. No WFH unless there is a Snowpocalypse, which may not be an issue for a person without kids.
    For an entry level software engineer, I would recommend Sapient. They are a consulting company based out of Boston but have projects all over. For new recruits they have a 2 month training program which is like being a freshman again. Pay is competitive.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

He may need to take a few more courses in languages that seem to be more in demand than what's on his resume.
    Most people in software are more interested in concepts/paradigms over specific languages. E.g. if you know object oriented, and maybe did it with Java you can figure out C++ quick enough. And really, you should be able to pick up any major compiled language at a entry level. But if he goes in to an interview, and says 'well, we only did Java in school so I dunno about your C++' then he's underselling or lacking confidence. A CS degree doesn't teach languages, it teaches concepts. Languages change, and so does the way they are applied. Especially now that we're getting away from compiled, installed applications and shifting to web-based 'cloud' stuff.

If he wanted, he could self-teach some more in-demand stuff so he can feel better about speaking to it. Walk through a 'hello world' test to prove to himself he can do it. Also adds buzzwords for the HR crowd or Dilbert's boss. Just don't go too buzzwordy, because if an actual tech person reviews the resume, they'll get the feeling he's a salesman. If going in for an interview, and you know they use some specific thing - say they want JavaScript knowledge but in the context of NodeJS he should give himself a 101 crash course before going in. The goal isn't to pretend he's super experienced, but just so he can say 'yep, I'm sure I can adapt to what you all do here' and have some basic dialog and understanding about their tasks. But in my opinion, a good interviewer shouldn't expect an entry level recent grad to be an expert at their particular process.

nedirtriders.com

I have been a vendor to MathWorks for a few years and that's all that I'll say there.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Most people in software are more interested in concepts/paradigms over specific languages. E.g. if you know object oriented, and maybe did it with Java you can figure out C++ quick enough. And really, you should be able to pick up any major compiled language at a entry level. But if he goes in to an interview, and says 'well, we only did Java in school so I dunno about your C++' then he's underselling or lacking confidence. A CS degree doesn't teach languages, it teaches concepts. Languages change, and so does the way they are applied. Especially now that we're getting away from compiled, installed applications and shifting to web-based 'cloud' stuff.

If he wanted, he could self-teach some more in-demand stuff so he can feel better about speaking to it. Walk through a 'hello world' test to prove to himself he can do it. Also adds buzzwords for the HR crowd or Dilbert's boss. Just don't go too buzzwordy, because if an actual tech person reviews the resume, they'll get the feeling he's a salesman. If going in for an interview, and you know they use some specific thing - say they want JavaScript knowledge but in the context of NodeJS he should give himself a 101 crash course before going in. The goal isn't to pretend he's super experienced, but just so he can say 'yep, I'm sure I can adapt to what you all do here' and have some basic dialog and understanding about their tasks. But in my opinion, a good interviewer shouldn't expect an entry level recent grad to be an expert at their particular process.
    I will add to this, although that is true you learn basic languages like Java, C++, and others as a base to say hey i know a for-loop in Java it is not the much different in X language. I learned languages in school but not everything i use today was learned in school. Also with interviews in general its common for them to say make a program that does 'this' in any language you want because you have the logic and basics that you learned in school.

And additionally with the web stuff.
    go to code academy practice there (while it is good it can be frustrating becasue they really have 1 right answer but with programming multiple ways to skin a cat)

also a good one I like is coding bat .

And in the end he has a degree he will get something its not like he just has a piece of paper he actually knows shit.

2013 Tiger Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I had 18 months of coop internship experience before graduating.

My perception was that there was a shortage of CS grads and finding jobs was pretty easy. Maybe that info is dated.
    Didn't know you were a fellow Northeastern Alum...

Your info is becoming dated, computer science is hot right now.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I have been a vendor to MathWorks for a few years and that's all that I'll say there.
    Kinda jealous of the guy who replaced me when I left. He gets to help design/build their new data center. It's gorgeous.

Apparently shortly after I left there was a lot less fun to be had there. I used to organize and run weekly Friday BBQ's in the back parking lot. It was a good time.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'm not a North Eastern grad. I just know that their is a (good) local example of a program that requires co-op before graduating. I went to school outside of New England then came crawling back.

You're saying the number of grads is out pacing jobs? As I say, we don't seem to hire junior types for whatever reason. But we've been mortified at the caliber of candidates we've brought in for mid and senior level spots.

Skills in a specific set of development tools are paramount if he wants to code. Some places are willing to take new grads and let them get up to speed on their tools (.net vs java, sql server vs oracle) while getting paid, but most would rather have them be able to hit the ground running. The good news is that the market is tight. I don't think anyone has mentioned recruiters, but he should consider getting a resume to a few of the bigger ones with local-ish offices (TekSystems , Robert Half, etc). In addition to stuff MoXzilla mentioned, check out Pluralsight.com . Outstanding sight for learning new technologies. Me and several of my coworkers subscribe. Definitely worth it. When I interview people, I love it when a candidate offers to pull up a data driven website or mobile app that he's built and can then walk me through the code if I ask for details. Doesn't happen often but when it does, it sets them apart.

Thanks again for all of the help guys. I'm definitely going to pass on all of your suggestions. If you have any more please keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    For an entry level software engineer, I would recommend Sapient. They are a consulting company based out of Boston but have projects all over. For new recruits they have a 2 month training program which is like being a freshman again. Pay is competitive.
    +1. i got my start at Sapient back in '99 but on the creative side. i still know and work with so many amazing people from that company. it's no cake walk, incredibly tough and demanding, but they set my career on the right path in a big, big way.

are you a Sape alum, Snoopy?

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    +1. i got my start at Sapient back in '99 but on the creative side. i still know and work with so many amazing people from that company. it's no cake walk, incredibly tough and demanding, but they set my career on the right path in a big, big way.

are you a Sape alum, Snoopy?
    Hey TypeOne, Yes I am. Good, sharp people. Working at the Sapient office is actually a whole lot of fun,especially if you can spend more time at the workplace. Full of talented and driven individuals.

For a starter I think it is an awesome place to jump start your career given that one is exposed to such a broad spectrum of technologies, challenges and roles.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!