Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AN example of why Religion is a Problem...

AN example of why Religion is a Problem...

People wonder why I sometimes take a hard anti-religious position....

Here's an example of why... TheStar.com | Ontario | Watchdog backs motorcyclist in turban battle

And its not a Muslim thing either. A Catholic could just as easily claim his faith in God protects him from harm and, thus, should't be forced to wear a helmet....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: AN example of why Religion is a Problem...

The land of the fr.....O wait, it's Canada.

My religion is hookers and coke....do I risk discrimination too?

If he doesn't have to wear a helmet but others do, thats discrimination too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    If he doesn't have to wear a helmet but others do, thats discrimination too.
    Exactly. No one says he has to wear a helmet, but if he rides his motorcycle he does, just like everyone else regardless of religion. Wearing a turban in a restaurant doesn't affect life or death like on a bike.....

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

You mean "turbin" right?

He should let his god pay the fine in his stead?

Religion. It's like an imaginary friend for stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    He should let his god pay the fine in his stead?\

GREAT IDEA!!!!

Religion. It's like an imaginary friend for stupid people.
    I heard it as... "Religion, an imaginary friend for adults!" just recently too...somewhere...I forget where!

I REMEMBER... Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

"I know it is for safety, but people die in car accidents all the time,"
    Let him kill himself.

ya hes an idiot. its a law. so dont ride your motorcycle if the religion is that important to you. what a douche. i agree with CMG.

Tuono

Long live Darwinism!

Another issue, locally, is how Harvard is setting aside a gym for a number of hours a week for muslim women to work out because their religious practices dont allow them to use it in mixed company.
    In both these subjects its not really a big deal, doesnt affect my life at all, but at what point is the line drawn? Thats what worries me the most. Whats to say some nutjob cult is gonna start claiming religious discrimination and things like this? THats what scares me.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Another issue, locally, is how Harvard is setting aside a gym for a number of hours a week for muslim women to work out because their religious practices dont allow them to use it in mixed company.
    In both these subjects its not really a big deal, doesnt affect my life at all, but at what point is the line drawn? Thats what worries me the most. Whats to say some nutjob cult is gonna start claiming religious discrimination and things like this? THats what scares me.
    this drove me insane when I heard about it.

id be pissed if that interferred with my gym schedule. im all for accepting other cultures and religions BUT there is a point where it is unfair to everyone else to make exceptions and rules to better suit someones customs.

They have all womens gyms for women who dont want to work out in a coed environment. Theres no reason people cant build a gym for muslim women who cannot work out in a public environment. Fuck Harvard for being a bunch of push overs.

Tuono

Ehh Im torn, I dunno how I feel. They did pick one of the least used gyms on campus, not like the only one. And its 6 hours a week, so whatever. But what concerns me is like before, where is the line drawn? What if I'm uncomfortable with my body and want to work out without women around? Would they make special accomidations? Of course not, thats sexist. But they can have women only gyms, and muslim women only times. Theres no definite place for the line to be drawn and thats what disturbs me.

My favorite quote in this situation " Student Ola Aljawhary, who is Muslim and works out elsewhere on campus but is not one of the women who requested the change, rejected that argument.

"The majority should be willing to compromise," she said. "I think that's just basic courtesy. We must show tolerance and respect for all others."

So because 6 people request things it should come at the majoritys cost? Of course, that happens a lot in this country, but is it really the way it should work?

Zip Tie Alley #505

this gym issue is bullshit. First off the all womens gyms are a completely different situation. They are in a facility that someone paid for, and are a private business. i have no problem with that. its actually an excellent idea. A gym that caters to a specific group of people. They also have gyms that cater to olympic style and powerlifting lifters. Again their own facilities, private business.

BUT this whole setting aside hours just because of their religion? I dont care if the the gym was in a basement on the farthest side of campus, it still doesnt make it any different. Why cant they be like the all womens gyms etc, and build their own gym without interfering with a public gym?

that girl's quote is funny. We all should be more tolerant and accepting of their religion? That makes no sense. Sounds more like special treatment to me.

Tuono

My favorite quote in this situation " Student Ola Aljawhary, who is Muslim and works out elsewhere on campus but is not one of the women who requested the change, rejected that argument.

"The majority should be willing to compromise," she said. "I think that's just basic courtesy. We must show tolerance and respect for all others."
    And this is why its a religious problem. Take religion out of it and you have a rational discussion between rational people. But when people feel obligated to follow their fucktard religious teachings religiously you end up with situations like this. And by the way, this isn't about Muslims...its about all religions. I'm old enough to remember when you had to eat fucking fish in the cafeteria on Fridays.

Muhammad Ali.

Im just saying that if you tried to open a mens gym, youd be run out of town because its sexist. Lookit the Augusta golf club. ITs their choice not to admit women, yet they're constantly protested and stuff cause they dont. Where is that line drawn that its ok for women, and ok for muslims but not ok for men?

And I cant wait for one muslim woman to complain that the set aside hours interfere with her schedule and they need to extend it to better meet her life. I bet thats when soem people start coming around to the other side.

Zip Tie Alley #505

well with or without religion its still a situation of special treatment. lets say Catholics had something in the religion that said that "when exercising, one must be grunting and making loud and obnoxious noises. think they would close down the gym for x amount of hours for them? probably not, they'd probably be told to leave.

Tuono

Im just saying that if you tried to open a mens gym, youd be run out of town because its sexist. Lookit the Augusta golf club. ITs their choice not to admit women, yet they're constantly protested and stuff cause they dont. Where is that line drawn that its ok for women, and ok for muslims but not ok for men?

And I cant wait for one muslim woman to complain that the set aside hours interfere with her schedule and they need to extend it to better meet her life. I bet thats when soem people start coming around to the other side.
    There are plenty of gyms that are specialty gyms, i.e womens, power lifting, olympic lifting, all mens etc.

i agree with your second part though. when they start requesting more and more is when the shit will hit the fan.

Tuono

At least the towel can soak up the blood...

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Student Ola Aljawhary, who is Muslim and works out elsewhere on campus but is not one of the women who requested the change, rejected that argument.

Am I the only one that sees the irony in her statement?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I'd like to rip his turban (otherwise known as a Diaper) off of him, throw it on the ground and stomp on it, and then take a shit on it.

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Am I the only one that sees the irony in her statement?
    How so? You mean how her religion dictates that she is not equal to men, and must be hidden from plain view even when in public? Thats fairly tolerant isnt it?

Zip Tie Alley #505

MidMassGsxr

Maybe I heard the story wrong on the news, I know some of the poeple who complained where muslim but I thought the major complain was women where not working out because they were uncomfortable around men in "gym clothes" Now far be it for me to see the liberal view but Harvard has like 6 gyms, couldnt they just make one all women, make one all men, and the other 4 co-ed? Then that would be fair to everyone? no? I dont know I dont really care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast