Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Exhaust drone

Exhaust drone

So the new truck ('16 Tundra) has some horrible exhaust drone at 14-1800 rpm when it starts to load a bit. I haven't had a chance to crawl under it to see what the PO did to the exhaust, maybe aftermarket don't know. Anyway, anyone know of a fix for this that doesn't involve a $1100 borla system? I've read a bit people install hemholtz (SP?) resignators with success, but I would need someone to hold my hand on that one.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Re: Exhaust drone

Sorry I can't help with your situation. But I had something similar recently happen in my '16 Silverado. Seems they use a passive exhaust valve so there'd be no distinguishing exhaust tones between the V8 & V4 when it kicked down. Had it replaced under warranty and can't stand the "drone" of the exhaust now at certain loads/RPM's. And I've lost a mile or two overall in the MPG department. Although I DO let the truck warm up a bit more now with the colder weather, so I'll have to wait 'til spring to really check that...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

When i got my BAM system it came with an additional pipe assembly to address the Drone. it is very simple yet effective. This goes on after the axle and before the spare tire.

I drove around for a month before attaching to see "how bad could the drone be." yea . that bad. adding the to the exhaust made a world of difference!
    Exhaust drone-tundra-drone-pipe-jpg

Dirty Deeds Industries - Performance Sound without the Drone

Standard 8" System - DIRTY DEEDS INDUSTRIES

Helmholtz Resonator - DIRTY DEEDS INDUSTRIES Helmholtz Resonator for $150 and how to install!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nt650hawk; 11-28-17 at 03:50 PM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    When i got my BAM system it came with an additional pipe assembly to address the Drone. it is very simple yet effective. This goes on after the axle and before the spare tire.

I drove around for a month before attaching to see "how bad could the drone be." yea . that bad. adding the to the exhaust made a world of difference!
    Exhaust drone-tundra-drone-pipe-jpg

Dirty Deeds Industries - Performance Sound without the Drone

Standard 8" System - DIRTY DEEDS INDUSTRIES

Helmholtz Resonator - DIRTY DEEDS INDUSTRIES Helmholtz Resonator for $150 and how to install!
    Yep, this is what everything is leading to. I'll call them to see if I have to buy a system or if I can just get the resignator. The drone is awful, the exhaust sounds good under power, but slight load at lower rpms and it has become unbearable.

My Toyota V6 has an intake howl

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

My '15 doesn't have a noticeable drone anywhere in the rev range. Although mine has the TRD cat-back exhaust, from the factory, as part of the TRD-Pro package.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    My '15 doesn't have a noticeable drone anywhere in the rev range. Although mine has the TRD cat-back exhaust, from the factory, as part of the TRD-Pro package.
    Yeah, different exhaust system. The duals don't have the issue. Looks like I can do a resonator to alleviate the issue for now. I really want to get the Borla system for the truck, or possibly the TRD duals. I wish they did the duals into a one side exit.