Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Experience with a 3-legged dog.

Experience with a 3-legged dog.

A couple years ago, my girlfriend wanted to adopt a 3 legged red healer named Bucky. She would open up the page and actually cry. I was somewhat against it because we live incredibly active lifestyles and we have a very active chocolate lab. We would hate to leave one of the dogs behind while the other went out and did cool shit. That said, my girlfriend still regrets missing out and looks at Bucky's facebook page regularly.

Fast forward to now. There is 6 month old, 3 legged, blue healer up for adoption. She is missing a front leg from a car accident. Our current lab is 6.5 years old and starting to slow down ever so slightly.

How debilitated are 3 legged dogs? Our dog loves to ski with us...that is likely going to be out of the question now with only 3 legs to disperse the weight. Post holing is no fun for anyone. But what about hiking? And by hiking, I mean fast paced mountain hiking. Running? Can they run for extended periods of time? And swimming?! We can't get our current dog out of the water. I would hate for the new dog to be unable to enjoy swimming.

Future medical expenses? Would missing a leg lead to further problems down the road? Maybe hip or shoulder issues from from favoring the one leg?

What about the end of its live? When this dog gets into its teens, is it going to be completely debilitated? I know all dogs get to this at some point, but I would hate to put down a dog 3 years before its ready because it can no longer walk.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: Experience with a 3-legged dog.

typically, dogs arent affected too much by the loss of a limb. but based on your questions/concerns it sounds like a "handicapped" dog isnt for you.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Most dogs adapt pretty quickly. But they do have some hindrances, endurance is affect a bit, they only have one leg to move one so they can get tired after a while. Most people can't wear a normal dog down and many don't do enough to wear out a three legged one. Sounds like you might, but hard to tell with the dog in question. If used a lot, the front leg joints could wear quicker and therefore in the later years see some issues earlier than those with four legs. Swimming wouldn't be affected, probably good for them overall.
    I think overall, if you are that active, it might not be a good fit.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Believe it or not, she wasn't as in love this this 3-legged dog as the prior one...so it was a pass. Looks like I was the one that got attached this time around.

Meet Osa, a Petfinder adoptable Australian Cattle Dog / Blue Heeler Dog | Portland, ME

Now we're going the normal rescue route. I have a yard and a house now, so should be easier than prior failed attempts.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.