Any one experienced with older BMW cars

I am looking at buying a 1982 BMW320i for cheap cheap money, it has high milage (285k) but the body is perfect, interior has wear you would expect in a cage with 285k, It is a 5 speed, sunrook, brand new tires. I can get it for winter bomb prices, but this cage is in nece enuf shape, that unlike the volvo I bought 4 years ago as a winter bomb that wasn't worth keeping in repair, (but still is a dependable beast)

Are there any maintenance issues that I should be aware of, I know some cars it can be dangerous to go past the recommended interval for changing the timing belt?

Particular components of the body or suspension that are suseptable to metal fatigue/wear?

Electrical/Computer/FI glitches that may be common.

I'm going to test drive it on monday, If it drive anywhere near as good as it looks (I am looking at it in an unreconditioned state) I will be buying it.

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

beem good stuff

. should b good car

0 Not allowed!

A.D.D or too much coffee?

RE:BMW

Hi Randy,
    Check the strut towers(where the shocks bolt into the car)for rust. When these rust out it can cost you plenty to have them repaired. Check the front(under the hood) and the rear(inside the trunk) where the shock meets the body. Also check any spot where the suspension connects to the body and where the transmission mount is. These all tend to rust out on northern BMW's. I'm not sure but I think this may have a chain driven cam instead of a belt, But don't take my word for it check it out. The clutch has a slave cylinder and sometimes not always they leak after some time. This is a great car when you can find a good one, I had a '75 2002 with the same block and it ran fantastic! I just sol it last year with almost 300,000 on it! Oh yea, one more thing is the bearings in the differential will start to make a loud whirring noise, I didn't change mine but the noise drove me crazy, It never failed or anything. Take it out for good test drive and make sure the engine is cold when you get there to drive it so you know if it has a problem starting or whatever.
    Good luck,
    Danny

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh, Dukey Wookey hurt his wittle hand, I'm the king of this gang now!

2001CBR 929RR
    Lightly customized

Thanx Danny, A quick look the other day there sisn't appear to be any rust and it also looks like original paint, I will certainly take a look at the points you mentioned

pertaining to the hydraulic clutch, is there any high pressure rubber line between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder to account for movemnt between the transmission & body linke the rubber brake lines that go to the calipers? Ou company Jeep recently had a clutch problem, the rubber portion of the line was getting weak and bulging and needed to be replaced.

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

A.D.D or too much coffee?

Master-Slave relationship

Yes there is a rubber hose(line) between them. When I bought my car it was leaking (the hose) and I replaced it with a stainless braided one, The clutch was sooo fast after that!!!LOL
    Good luck,
    Danny

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh, Dukey Wookey hurt his wittle hand, I'm the king of this gang now!

2001CBR 929RR
    Lightly customized