Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New, fast SUVís

Re: New, fast SUVís

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Hope you like dropping lots of coin on tires.
    Ha, nobody likes that! But I have factored it into the overall expense to lease one of these.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

i'm a big fan of the Acura MDX's as the honda motors are super reliable. i had a loaner a-spec MDX for a few days and that thing was quick. obviously not as fast as the Lambo and some of the high end ones listed, but it was tough for me to return that loaner to the dealer.

EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    i'm a big fan of the Acura MDX's as the honda motors are super reliable. i had a loaner a-spec MDX for a few days and that thing was quick. obviously not as fast as the Lambo and some of the high end ones listed, but it was tough for me to return that loaner to the dealer.
    I mean...you are used to a 1970's gixxer...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Go to an Audi dealer and test drive a few things

The SQ5 is small, agile and drives like a race car. 350hp, 370tg and a DSG trans that shifts fast. 5 second 0-60. not the fastest thing but definitely a lot of fun to drive.

If you can find them they just Release the SQ8 - Which has the 4.0L Twin turbo V-8 stuffed in it. 500hp, 570TQ . . . . . its fucking fast and pretty damn aggressive looking (if im not mistaken its basically a Lambo Uras with a different interior)

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    Go to an Audi dealer and test drive a few things

The SQ5 is small, agile and drives like a race car. 350hp, 370tg and a DSG trans that shifts fast. 5 second 0-60. not the fastest thing but definitely a lot of fun to drive.

If you can find them they just Release the SQ8 - Which has the 4.0L Twin turbo V-8 stuffed in it. 500hp, 570TQ . . . . . its fucking fast and pretty damn aggressive looking (if im not mistaken its basically a Lambo Uras with a different interior)
    do i need to link your own thread on here that says something along the lines of "i'm an Audi mechanic and i'm telling you to never buy an Audi"

EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Lifer

How much do you want to spend and how fast of an SUV does she really want? If you don't want german or american, I kind of like the CX-5 Turbo. The Grand touring select is extremely well equipped and can be had for the average cost of a new car in the US (around $36k). Agree with all the other ones, but how fast really does she want/need? Even a stock X1 BMW does 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Lifer

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

do i need to link your own thread on here that says something along the lines of "i'm an Audi mechanic and i'm telling you to never buy an Audi"
    So just lease

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    How much do you want to spend and how fast of an SUV does she really want? If you don't want german or american, I kind of like the CX-5 Turbo. The Grand touring select is extremely well equipped and can be had for the average cost of a new car in the US (around $36k). Agree with all the other ones, but how fast really does she want/need? Even a stock X1 BMW does 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds
    I donít want to spend six figures or more, and what Im looking at for options is 75-85 +\-.

Weíve had a number of very nice vehicles over the last 20 years but this one will be a step up in terms of luxury and performance. That said, sheíd be perfectly happy with a 0-60 in six seconds car. I would not. My toy box is empty except for an old Aprilia I never ride, I want something that rips. The compromise is she wants an SUV, the rest is up to me.

Iíve already got a newer vehicle thats collects dust in the garage, so buying her a more pedestrian SUV and also buying a serious sports car is not a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    So just lease
    Exactly. Aside from the kids cars all we have done for the past 15 years is lease. Works well for us. We don't do a ton of miles, always under warranty, I donít obsess over dings and nicks and I drive them like I donít give a fuck. Because I donít.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I don’t want to spend six figures or more, and what Im looking at for options is 75-85 +\-.

We’ve had a number of very nice vehicles over the last 20 years but this one will be a step up in terms of luxury and performance. That said, she’d be perfectly happy with a 0-60 in six seconds car. I would not. My toy box is empty except for an old Aprilia I never ride, I want something that rips. The compromise is she wants an SUV, the rest is up to me.

I’ve already got a newer vehicle thats collects dust in the garage, so buying her a more pedestrian SUV and also buying a serious sports car is not a good option.
    In that price range I would get a nicely equipped X3M as someone else mentioned. Honestly, I'm a cheap stake and think the CX-5 turbo looks and drives better than the cost would suggest...With my bikes, I am less interested in the cars. I only put about 4k miles per year on my 2009 335xi/manual and hence have no desire to change that car

He said he was leasing it lol.

And for the record they have come a long way in the 5 years since i made that post

Last edited by Danz19899; 07-13-20 at 02:57 PM.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Hypertarded

Very timely, just popped up on my Youtube page, my favorite car review channel

I leased a 17 SQ5 for 3 years and it was a pure joy. Luckily warranty was in effect because that thing needed love right out of the factory It handled like a sports car (Pirellis) and the exhaust sound was ďaggressively subtleĒ. Used it to haul dirt bikes, road bikes, dogs, babies, etc. Would ONLY recommend leasing though...

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Those were great. My dad had a used car dealership when I was growing up. He had a cyclone and a typhoon pass through. Got to drive both at 13-14 yrs hold. Those were fast as fuck back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Those were great. My dad had a used car dealership when I was growing up. He had a cyclone and a typhoon pass through. Got to drive both at 13-14 yrs hold. Those were fast as fuck back in the day.
    I want to say they were faster than a ferrari at the time?

Didn't those have the GNX engine?

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I want to say they were faster than a ferrari at the time?
    Car and Driver staged a race if I recall correctly. Definitely faster to 60 and then gap narrowed as aero took over and the Ferrari hit it's stride more. Shorter gearing in the GMs helped launch as well.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Definitely based off of it. Same setup, single turbo six. Can't remember the details.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Definitely based off of it. Same setup, single turbo six. Can't remember the details.
    Not sure if it was the same motor as the GNX but it was not the same motor as the Grand National. I'm also not sure if Grand National and GNX had the same motor just in different states of tune.

Grand National motor was a Buick V6 that had all sorts of oiling issues without adding in the heat and additional requirements of the turbocharger. Big contributor to why a lot of Grand Nationals had engine troubles around 50k miles.

Syclone and Typhoon had Chevy V6 that was a decently stout motor in its own right and then they added the turbo and the AWD. Much better approach.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Not sure if it was the same motor as the GNX but it was not the same motor as the Grand National. I'm also not sure if Grand National and GNX had the same motor just in different states of tune.

Grand National motor was a Buick V6 that had all sorts of oiling issues without adding in the heat and additional requirements of the turbocharger. Big contributor to why a lot of Grand Nationals had engine troubles around 50k miles.

Syclone and Typhoon had Chevy V6 that was a decently stout motor in its own right and then they added the turbo and the AWD. Much better approach.
    I just looked it up, you are correct. The Typhoon had the 4.3 V6 turbo charged, not the 3.8 of the GN

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I just looked it up, you are correct. The Typhoon had the 4.3 V6 turbo charged, not the 3.8 of the GN
    Just went and looked for myself as well and found the same info you did lol. Knew they were different just didn't know exactly how.

Interesting thing about the GM 4.3 V6's, they share many common parts with GM small block V8's of the same era. Interesting read...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...2%B0_V6_engine

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Pretty sure but can't say definite, but I believe the 4.3 was essentially the 305 with a couple cylinders missing. Like, literally.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast