Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Feedback on 3 row SUV options...

Re: Feedback on 3 row SUV options...

Quote Originally Posted by joshk1025 View Post
    What's the advantage of that? I'm a noob who has never owned a truck or suv
    when you said towing. i was thinking you were towing something more substantial in weight. in that case. carry on. any of the midsize crossovers will do you well.

if your feeling extremely cheap, can you find a minty chevy trailblazer/enovy out there.
    boom

Pre-Owned 2004 GMC Envoy XUV SLE 4D Sport Utility in Lawrence #K9319A | Commonwealth Motors

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jhawley; 02-27-19 at 04:10 PM.

Lifer

My bad, I thought they werenít due out til 2021, Iíve only seen one write up about them and figured they were going to be dragged out like the Ford Bronco.

Garandman, you werenít a fan of the Sequoia? I really like them but have never driven one.

I do think the traditional ride height of full size SUVs does equate to not the most ideal use of space. I have to say it, but if I was going to be carting around a handful of adult buddies, say to concerts and such, and only had to do a little towing... wouldnít a Honda Odyssey suffice? Didnít someone here post a pic of a minivan compared to a Tahoe and it is very telling. Nice step in and ease out of, pimp captains chairs in the second row... just get pst the stigma.

Fuck it, Iím buying a Ford Aerostar!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    new ones have 9 passenger option

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    My bad, I thought they werenít due out til 2021, Iíve only seen one write up about them and figured they were going to be dragged out like the Ford Bronco.

Garandman, you werenít a fan of the Sequoia? I really like them but have never driven one.

I do think the traditional ride height of full size SUVs does equate to not the most ideal use of space. I have to say it, but if I was going to be carting around a handful of adult buddies, say to concerts and such, and only had to do a little towing... wouldnít a Honda Odyssey suffice? Didnít someone here post a pic of a minivan compared to a Tahoe and it is very telling. Nice step in and ease out of, pimp captains chairs in the second row... just get pst the stigma.

Fuck it, Iím buying a Ford Aerostar!
    My wife has an odyssey, I hate the transmission. I have thought about buying her a newer van and taking hers, but I kinda just want an SUV...

Also, my use case is carting around kids and stuff when our minivan is otherwise occupied, not adults on a regular basis. Sliding doors are a winner for minivans.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by joshk1025; 02-27-19 at 04:31 PM.

Lifer

I can dig it. I have no use for a Tahoe, but I still want one.

I learned today the size of Smart cars is purposeful (I didn’t get it since they are tiny but don’t get much better fuel econ than my civic) so that you can back into a parallel spot?!? They are as long as a normal car is wide?that is a game changer in Boston, so now I kinda want one of those too!
    My wife has an odyssey, I hate the transmission. I have thought about buying her a newer van and taking hers, but I kinda just want an SUV...

Also, my use case is carting around kids and stuff when our minivan is otherwise occupied, not adults on a regular basis. Sliding doors are a winner for minivans.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Whats wrong with the explorer?

My wife drives a '16 twin turbo explorer sport with the third row and the thing is amazing.
    '16 sport here as well, and I love it.

0 Not allowed!
    -Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

"I brap with a clear conscience." - nhbubba

//Garandman, you weren’t a fan of the Sequoia? I really like them but have never driven one.

I do think the traditional ride height of full size SUVs does equate to not the most ideal use of space. I have to say it, but if I was going to be carting around a handful of adult buddies, say to concerts and such, and only had to do a little towing... wouldn’t a Honda Odyssey suffice? Didn’t someone here post a pic of a minivan compared to a Tahoe and it is very telling. Nice step in and ease out of, pimp captains chairs in the second row... just get pst the stigma.//
    The Sequoia was really thirsty. MPG for those things sucks in city use (they are based on full-sized pickups), but the Sequoia averaged 13mpg. Also hard to find used with a tow package. A lot of Tahoes are sold with the max towing package and we averaged 14.5-15. Even compared to other Toyotas the Sequoia is pretty bland, while the Tahoe is a much better styled vehicle. We are towing 6K or it would make no sense: Acadia has 98 cu ft of space vs 95 for Tshoe. Both much less than a minivan.

My wife has an odyssey, I hate the transmission. I have thought about buying her a newer van and taking hers, but I kinda just want an SUV...///
    Does your Odyssey have the six speed? If so there is a button on the shifter that turns it into a four speed for around town use. Much more responsive.

Crossovers are quite practical. Most of thrm are basically AWD station wagons. Minivans are awesome but having options is preferable.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 02-27-19 at 06:17 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The Sequoia was really thirsty. MPG for those things sucks in city use (they are based on full-sized pickups), but the Sequoia averaged 13mpg. Also hard to find used with a tow package. A lot of Tahoes are sold with the max towing package and we averaged 14.5-15. Even compared to other Toyotas the Sequoia is pretty bland, while the Tahoe is a much better styled vehicle. We are towing 6K or it would make no sense: Acadia has 98 cu ft of space vs 95 for Tshoe. Both much less than a minivan.

Does your Odyssey have the six speed? If so there is a button on the shifter that turns it into a four speed for around town use. Much more responsive.

Crossovers are quite practical. Most of thrm are basically AWD station wagons.
    Yeah if you disable overdrive it is considerably better. No awd though, not that I've ever needed it on the roads we drive. Basically just don't want two minivans but kind of want minivan like capabilities. An elevated station wagon fits the bill

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I donít have an opinion on them. Not a huge Jeep fan. Just not my thing.
    Trick question... same vehicle as the Durango... slightly longer wheel base and third row.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Whats wrong with the explorer?

My wife drives a '16 twin turbo explorer sport with the third row and the thing is amazing.
    A $10k Explorer will be a wretched POS

1 Not allowed!

I can dig it. I have no use for a Tahoe, but I still want one.

I learned today the size of Smart cars is purposeful (I didn’t get it since they are tiny but don’t get much better fuel econ than my civic) so that you can back into a parallel spot?!? They are as long as a normal car is wide?that is a game changer in Boston, so now I kinda want one of those too!
    BTD, being the pricks that they are, will probably ticket you if you back it into a spot meant for parallel parking. I was stopped for mere seconds and those pricks wrote a ticket.

Did I mention they're pricks. Yup, they're pricks.

2 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    '16 sport here as well, and I love it.

I call it the spaceship, cause it just floats down the road so smooth and quiet, it is easy to accidentally speed in it!

0 Not allowed!

We are getting rid of our 2016 Tahoe this Summer.

Anyone own an MB GLS450? If so how do you like it?

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

buy an comprehensive extended warranty.

0 Not allowed!

I used to have a 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 and I loved it before a damn branch fell on it and it got totaled.

I know there are mixed reviews on it but I think if you were to find a good one, you would love it. It is pretty luxurious, great 3rd row seats, very comfy and I actually like the old boxy look a lot. I miss mine big time.

Here is one for the 3.2V6 Used Volvo XC90 For Sale Naugatuck, CT - CarGurus
    Or a V8 Used Volvo XC90 For Sale Foxboro, MA - CarGurus

I actually have my old roof load bars for it if you end up picking up one. I have no need for it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by virtualbong; 06-21-19 at 08:22 AM.

Our friends had one. It’s my wife’s car, Volvo is o-u-t regardless of virtues.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    buy an comprehensive extended warranty.
    Which one did you own?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-21-19 at 12:15 PM.

I was at Lexus at for several years and had a lot of customers wanting out to trade them in because they were sick of driving service loaners moreso than their cars. Also have a close family friend that had an older lex gx470 and needed something newer and got a GL and dearly missed their gx.

I want to like the thing but the values fall of a cliff shortly after new, The firebreating AMG version is a blast but drinks gas like a drunken frat boy. If your getting a new one than your okay as its in full manufacture's warranty. Otherwise unless you dealing with out of warranty repairs out of pocket. I would advise the extended warranty.

0 Not allowed!

The new Lexi are just so damned ugly! Typical Japanese overstyling.

0 Not allowed!

predator.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

CX9 has an automatic (not CVT) have to check it out.

1 Not allowed!

Have you found anything yet?

0 Not allowed!

Another candidate came to mind: Acura MDX. Very popular around here so lots of off-lease and CPO options.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Have you found anything yet?
    If you are asking about us, just started looking, and need to find some knuckle-dragger to buy the Tahoe. The Sprinter can tow the sailboat trailer so we don’t need it anymore.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-24-19 at 06:44 PM.

MDX Is a solid choice. but i think the tow rating is only about 5000 lbs. The QX60 is a fancy pathfinder and a little bigger, but the transmission is questionable.

0 Not allowed!

We don’t need towing capacity anymore. I bought a Sprinter US rated 5,000 lbs. We gave the boat a test pull (actual weight is somewhere between 5,000 and 5,600 lbs) and it’s no problem, we only have to move it once or twice a year.

My wife likes the driving position height, so we need something SUV-ish. Third row isn’t even necessary: if it was we’d go back to a minivan.

* in Europe Sprinters are rated from 2,000kg to as much as 3,500kg: 4,400 to 7,700 lbs. Ours is the lightest version and in most of Europe is rated for at least 5,500 lbs.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-25-19 at 08:07 AM.

That boat sounds like a great investment...

MDX is higher price tag than the other options you were looking at. Certainly a very solid car. Not too much of fan of the center console but that’s just personal preference

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12