Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How do we feel about Volvo cars?

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Re: How do we feel about Volvo cars?

They are on my short list.

What'd you spend, all said and done?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    They are on my short list.

What'd you spend, all said and done?
    I had a lot of extra work done, but for starters figure $2,000 for labor (remove, dissasemble, reassemble, reinstall), $1-2,000 for machine work, and $2,000 and up for parts.

For example just the crank and forged pistons were $1,000: you might not need or want the hardened crank which was $300. Forged pistons are almost $700. The Killer B oil pan almost $500, windage tray $200, and STI oil cooler almost $300.

I also had the alternator (just bad luck), fuel and oil pump replaced with new, all new hoses, new Group N engine mounts, etc. You could spend much less, or quite a bit more, depending on what you want to do.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 04-19-17 at 01:47 PM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

After talking with Jay at Wicked, I understand how he will end up quoting 5k for my particular build. He is accounting for the worst case scenario. Still, that's a hefty number that I might try working with them on to whittle away at.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

So, after meeting with Dana from CL I've decided to give him the work. For the money, I will get more out of him by comparison and he warrantees his work for 2 years. Looked over the agreement today and it's very reasonable.

He owns the machine shop that inspects the critical components and has direct control over the rebuild process.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

What's the shop?

0 Not allowed!
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

He is not advertising services​ through the machine shop so "the shop" is Dana from CL.

Not gonna lie....This engine is going to be built by a guy in a shed.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

:

Not much longer now...

Assemble intake​ manifold, route vacuum lines and install in the blue car then sell.

Assemble engine, route....Uhhh.... everything.....and install in the white car then drive​.

Interesting​ to see a VF40 in the 05 and a VF45 in the 08. Looking forward to having the build completed in the 08. Gonna have some nice hardware in there.

How do we feel about Volvo cars?-img_20170424_064327827-jpg

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

White car is done, sans turbo.

Since the VF45 currently installed is from China (and the seals were on their way out anyway), the builder and I elected to replace the turbo with a VF52 so I'll be acquiring one of those then making an appointment with Tuning Alliance for a base map. Depending on what TA suggests, after engine break-in the longer term plan right now is to add injectors, fuel pump, intercooler and some exhaust work then back to TA for final tune. All in all I'd be extremely pleased with 300 to the wheel but the order of priority is reliability then power so the final HP number ultimately is not all that important.

The blue car is for sale if anyone is interested. 2005 Legacy GT Ltd Auto 153,xxx miles. It runs and drives however a vacuum nipple broke off the intake manifold so I purchased a replacement that still needs to be installed.

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123