Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fighting with ebay/ paypal

Fighting with ebay/ paypal

Hang on, this is a weird story. I'm not a big gamer but since there's nothing going on during the winter I bought a PS4 to play a few new games and have the ability to play old games like metal gear solid and get my nostalgia on. So here goes....

Bought a BNIB PS4 from a seller in CT. Paid 200$ shipped for it on 12/24.

On 12/30 the tracking number shows as delivered. Tracking says "left with individual". It was most certainly not left at our house. I have camera footage of the carrier stopping at our mailbox and continuing straight to the next house. The next day I ask him about it and he's adamant it was delivered to our house. I'm not going to argue with the guy, so I just say okay thanks.

Next day I go to USPS and they are of no help at all.

Give it a few days and nothing turns up.

Go back to USPS and talk with a manager. He's able to see the signature and address it's left with. It was delivered to a commercial address in town and signed for by someone. He can't give me copies of the paperwork but let me see the signature and address.

I head up to that address which is a hotel. The guy who signed for it is working and he says "Yup, I signed for that" He says it was a 1oz signature required envelope. He said there was no name on the parcel so he opens it up. It contains pages of a book (WTF?). So he says, WTF is this? And sends it back to the sender.

So as of now, I'm out 200$, have no product and everything I'm reading says ebay will pretty much automatically side with the seller since the tracking number shows it as delivered.

Anyone have any advise? I'm going to try to call Ebay and talk with a human being. Not sure if that will be of any help either. I checked the sale page on ebay and there is nothing nefarious about the seller trying to pass off a picture of the product or an empty box. It very clearly lists the product number, console, accessories etc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Fighting with ebay/ paypal

If it's any consolation, PayPal usually sides with the buyer. At least, that's been my experience on more than one occasion.

We've been having a town-wide problem of certain parcel carriers dropping off people's packages at the Dollar General in town. As such, whichever service gets a delivery signature so as far as the carrier service is concerned your package has been delivered. It's fucked up.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Usually that scam happens with international transactions. What you need to do is talk to Paypal, not ebay, assuming that you paid through there. In my case ebay wouldn't get involved at all. I had that happen to me, I talked with UPS and they were able to provide me with a document showing where the package indicated by the tracking number went. I uploaded it to paypal as prove in the dispute and they ruled in my favor.

Not much help with eBay but I will sell you my PS4 for $200. I bought it when it came out, used it for a couple of hours, it's been sitting in a closet since then.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Contact paypal.

I sold an older broken mac book computer years ago in college, shipped it, had delivery confirmation and everything. Buyer said they never got it, paypal gave him the money back and that was it. I lost my computer and they gave the money back to him. It was pretty devastating. I was so broke.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

If I go through PayPal for resolution will ebay ban my account?

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    If I go through PayPal for resolution will ebay ban my account?
    No! I've had to resolve a bunch. You want to open a dispute with the reason "I didn't receive the item." Each side only gets to communicate once per round so put all the information and supporting documentation you can into your message and you should be OK.

Lifer

Tracking will show it was delivered to the wrong address. Sounds like USPS messed up. The seller should have insurance on the package. Have them file a claim on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Tracking will show it was delivered to the wrong address. Sounds like USPS messed up. The seller should have insurance on the package. Have them file a claim on your behalf.
    I'm not sure if they have access to more info than I do. The tracking number I was sent just says delivered left with individual and the time. Doesn't list an address or anything. I had to speak with a usps supervisor to find out the address it went to.

I'm gonna try calling PayPal tonight and see how I make out.

Go back to USPS and talk with a manager. He's able to see the signature and address it's left with. It was delivered to a commercial address in town and signed for by someone. He can't give me copies of the paperwork but let me see the signature and address.

I head up to that address which is a hotel. The guy who signed for it is working and he says "Yup, I signed for that" He says it was a 1oz signature required envelope. He said there was no name on the parcel so he opens it up. It contains pages of a book (WTF?). So he says, WTF is this? And sends it back to the sender.
    To clarify, this is a common ebay scam. The seller provides a tracking number to the same zip code as yours which fools the first level of the paypal dispute process. Unfortunately they're a bunch of morons and then you're stuck proving that it didn't go to you. On the bright side it's easy to "win" it just takes some legwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    To clarify, this is a common ebay scam. The seller provides a tracking number to the same zip code as yours which fools the first level of the paypal dispute process. Unfortunately they're a bunch of morons and then you're stuck proving that it didn't go to you. On the bright side it's easy to "win" it just takes some legwork.
    Dammit. Thought I was up on all these scams. Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We've been having a town-wide problem of certain parcel carriers fucking up continually
    FIFY ... huge problem in my town, too. past few months has been real bad ... i blame the Flakka

Beta 200RR

Hang on, this is a weird story. I'm not a big gamer but since there's nothing going on during the winter I bought a PS4 to play a few new games and have the ability to play old games like metal gear solid and get my nostalgia on. So here goes....

Bought a BNIB PS4 from a seller in CT. Paid 200$ shipped for it on 12/24.

On 12/30 the tracking number shows as delivered. Tracking says "left with individual". It was most certainly not left at our house. I have camera footage of the carrier stopping at our mailbox and continuing straight to the next house. The next day I ask him about it and he's adamant it was delivered to our house. I'm not going to argue with the guy, so I just say okay thanks.

Next day I go to USPS and they are of no help at all.

Give it a few days and nothing turns up.

So as of now, I'm out 200$, have no product and everything I'm reading says ebay will pretty much automatically side with the seller since the tracking number shows it as delivered.

Anyone have any advise? I'm going to try to call Ebay and talk with a human being. Not sure if that will be of any help either. I checked the sale page on ebay and there is nothing nefarious about the seller trying to pass off a picture of the product or an empty box. It very clearly lists the product number, console, accessories etc.
    I guess my confused on some of the details...

1. So your "shipping address" that you okayed with purchase was a "random address"? Doesn't paypal need a verified shipping address?
    2. Did you do a transacation through paypal or was it "gifted"? If gifted your SOL.
    3. so USPS can take your "approved shipping address" and have any address sign off?
    4. I understand some "warm body" can sign a signature receipt but doesn't it have to go to the correct address?
    5. If USPS sent to wrong address then aren't they at fault (they documented they delivered to random address).
    6. Also how is a 1oz required signature equal to a Playstation? I don't think the manual and empty box weighs 1 oz.
    7. Also have you threatened the ebay seller with negative score unless he resolves it?

Just dispute it with Paypal. Don't bother leaving negative feedback until you get your money back.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Sidavong View Post

1. So your "shipping address" that you okayed with purchase was a "random address"? Doesn't paypal need a verified shipping address?
    2. Did you do a transacation through paypal or was it "gifted"? If gifted your SOL.
    3. so USPS can take your "approved shipping address" and have any address sign off?
    4. I understand some "warm body" can sign a signature receipt but doesn't it have to go to the correct address?
    5. If USPS sent to wrong address then aren't they at fault (they documented they delivered to random address).
    6. Also how is a 1oz required signature equal to a Playstation? I don't think the manual and empty box weighs 1 oz.
    7. Also have you threatened the ebay seller with negative score unless he resolves it?
    My shipping address is saved in paypal. I have never changed it and had hundreds of things sent to me by checking out via paypal. So when I payed for the item, my shipping address (My home address) was sent to the seller.

You can't do a friends and family transaction through ebay AFAIK. I paid/ checked out using the ebay checkout process which directs you to paypal.

I'm guessing (see above post about this being a scam) that the seller looked up a random address in my town and sent some junk there. What this does is it generates a tracking number, and they know that I won't be able to see the address it was shipped to, only that in tracking I can see it was "delivered" Hence why I needed to go to a supervisor at USPS to obtain the actual address it was sent to.

The seller did send it to the correct address. In this case they chose a hotel. So the hotel recieved a signature required envelope that had no name attached to it. They signed for it, said WTF is this, and sent it back.

The 1oz package is what the scam is. There was never a PS4. They sent pages torn out of a book, which is what the 1oz sig. required package was.

Finally, I opened a dispute with paypal today. What I didn't realize, and should have been more diligent about, is that the sellers account was only two weeks old. Usually when I buy stuff on ebay it's from either an authorized seller. In this case I forgot to check and it looks like I got burned.

Hope that clears things up. This is a scam I didn't see coming which was partially my fault for not doing my homework on the seller.

Last edited by 01xj; 01-10-20 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidavong View Post

I remember once I sold something on eBay and the buyer added a note, “my PayPal address is old, ship to here instead...”
    I was able to change the shipping address before printing the label, but it prompted me with a “are you sure? you’ll lose whatever seller protection if you change this” message

-Matt

Just got my first attempted ripoff in nearly 700 transactions. Wanted to buy a Garmin 24K Topo map on memory card. A lot of those sold on eBay are counterfeit copies.

Asked the sellers and one guy assured me it was an original Garmin product he was no longer using. And in the mail I got a ScanDisk copy dated 12/29/19, that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Just got my first attempted ripoff in nearly 700 transactions. Wanted to buy a Garmin 24K Topo map on memory card. A lot of those sold on eBay are counterfeit copies.

Asked the sellers and one guy assured me it was an original Garmin product he was no longer using. And in the mail I got a ScanDisk copy dated 12/29/19, that doesn't work.
    If you're comfortable using bittorrent, you can probably find an image of the SD card online...

'08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

So I opened a claim with Paypal on Friday the 10th. They said the case would be open until Friday the 17th. Just got an email that says the claim was escalated by the seller and immediately denied.

I don’t know what escalating a claim means, but assuming PayPal has washed their hands of it..?

Did you pay with a credit card through PayPal? If so I’d try and file a claim with the credit card company.

Lifer

Is the “seller” still on eBay?

So I opened a claim with Paypal on Friday the 10th. They said the case would be open until Friday the 17th. Just got an email that says the claim was escalated by the seller and immediately denied.
    You can talk to one of their reps in India over the phone, just choose contact us on paypal's site and have them call you.

I called twice. They have me an email to send them supporting documents that show it was sent to the wrong address. Hopefully the post office will release them. Last week when the manager gave me the address and signature confirmation he said they were not allowed to make copies for me.

I did pay with a credit card but I'm afraid if I do a charge back or dispute it, either PayPal or ebay will lock my account. This is my first go round with this kind of thing and I've heard horror stories of perfectly normal people having their account locked and there is basically zero arbitration that happens after that.

Last edited by 01xj; 01-15-20 at 10:53 AM.

So what?

They lock your account. You make a new one.

You pay for their protection. If they don't provide it, fuck them.

Dispute that charge at every level.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Just make sure to revoke any bank account access they have so they can't try to pull funds back from you.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast