Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Fighting a speeding ticket in NH

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Fighting a speeding ticket in NH

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    you are 40 years old and this is your first speeding ticket?if the cop isnt willing to eliminate or suspend the ticket then id take my chances with the judge if i were you.
    the 55 speed limit there, while annoying, is legit. its only 3 lanes for a couple miles. i have it on good authority, from a NHSP trooper who patrols 16 regularly, that 70 is about all he will tolerate.
    with that said, if you do go before the judge, go prepared.
    I think 55 is ridiculous on 90% of 16, not just there... Traffic through that area routinely flows at 75 with no safety issues at all.

2 Not allowed!

Dic on

Speed limits aren't about safety. :-)

1 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

55 is absurd on that newly widened stretch. I don't care if it is "only" a few miles. It is absurd.
    Ditto for the stretch from the Dover Point tolls to the 108 exit. And then again from the Indian Brook road exit to Rochachachester. You know, where the road is as straight as an arrow.

Absurd.

1 Not allowed!

Well, heading to Loudon soon where I won't have to worry about no stinking speed limits for a few days!

3 Not allowed!
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I expected to meet with a Prosecutor or magistrate .
    not the way it works in NH

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    not the way it works in NH

Yup, used to be that you plead not guilty on the ticket and mail it in, then get a court date where you have a trial and that's the only time you need to appear. It was great of you got a ticket from a part time cop in a small town because they would rarely show up for court you you would automatically win. Also, many judges in NH were surprisingly lenient if you had a remotely believable story that essentially said that what you did may have been illegal, but was not unsafe when other factors were considered. I won 75%+ of my court cases when I was younger and ticketed routinely. I got good at it.

Now when you plead guilty you get a "court date" that amounts to nothing more than a meeting with the "prosecutor" who, more often than not, is the cop that wrote you the ticket. He/she will plea bargain to convince you to change your plea to guilty/nolo using either threats of higher fines/suspension or reduced charges, whatever works best for them. They have incentive to get you to plead guilty right then and there, but not that much incentive, so don't go in thinking you have the upper hand. They really want your money and are willing to fight for it in court. If you were pleasant and respectful during the stop, the cop may very well offer to reduce the charge, but I would not expect a big discount.

If you are threatened with higher fines and suspension and still want to fight it, you always have the option of simply changing your plea to guilty moments before you appear and simply pay the fixed fine. The cop may approach you ahead of time and agree to a lower fine on that day. If you still opt to fight it, when the judge calls you up, ask to speak with him/her before the trial officially starts and explain that you were threatened that you would get more than the traditional punishment because you are fighting the ticket and ask him or her if that's true. Hopefully the judge will say no, but if he/she says yes, change your plea to guilty and be done with it.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    haha. Its traffic court. They don't have to prove a fucking thing. They just have to SAY you were doing xyz. Zero proof needed on the officers part. Absolutely zero.

And the last ticket I got on radar was at 1697 feet. I argued the same thing and got told to basically shut up.
    Cops and judges hate people from New Zealand. Sorry Degs.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    I'll have to give something like that a try. Of course, I suspect that you are probably much better than I am at looking all cute, sweet and innocent as you tell your story, so it might not go as well for me...
    It has worked for some men in my life, as well.

That ticket is the only one I have ever contested. I rarely get stopped, and when I do, I usually get warnings. Having a good record has its perks,and being polite and respectful is only one way to maintain a good record. I also drive like a grandma.

0 Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Agree to disagree...55 is legit. I do 10 over 90% of the time.
    You cant honestly expect them to raise the speed limit for 2 miles just because they put in an exit lane. Im hoping after the mess at the bridge in newington is over, the limit will go up to 55 from 50.
    I drive that road daily. Its rare to see any NH plates going over 70. MA plates on the other hand routinely are doing 80+. I found myself doing 75 today and 4 cars went by me clearly doing 85+. All MA plates.

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 KTM 690SM /03 KTM 300EXC
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

They take your money its all its about stupid peasant

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Stromper; 07-27-14 at 07:28 AM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Bumping an old thread!

So I'm pretty pissed off. I got pulled over a few days ago in my car on 16, and the reason I'm pissed is because I believe 110% my car was mistakenly ID'd by the trooper (there was a similar car ahead of me that was driving very fast), but alas, I have a ticket in my hand with a ridiculous "clocked" speed on it. I wouldn't even be posting this right now if I thought I was even speeding at the time, I would have just accepted the ticket, but this is absolutely ridiculous. I have a completely clean record, and I could give 2 shits about the money, I just don't want points that I don't deserve on my license and insurance. I've read over the details in this thread already, but does anyone know if the actual trooper who stopped you has to show up in court? Or is it just a representative like MA? I don't have very high hopes that the ticket will get thrown out, but even a cop friend of mine said I have a pretty good case. I also have a witness that was in the car (who actually laughed when she heard the initial accusation by the trooper). Anyways, if anyone has recently gone through something like this I'd like to hear about how it was resolved. Also, if anyone has used a lawyer for this sort of thing, please PM me because I have no problem hiring one if it means it keeps my record clean.

0 Not allowed!
    -Mark
    2003 Kawasaki 636, 2006 DRZ400SM

Well, here's my update. I did show up for the pre-trial hearing a few months ago. The officer present was not the same that stopped me, since they were taking care of many similar cases that morning. He offered to cut the fine in half and claimed that was all he could do. I took it to get it over with. I don't know if points will be taken away and when I'll know about it. (Next insurance bill perhaps?). Oh, and since then they did bump the speed limit to 65 on that stretch, finally.

Mark, I did get the impression that if I would have chosen to not accept the offer at the pre-trial hearing, the officer who stopped me would have been the one to show up in court.

0 Not allowed!
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Got stopped on 89 after blasting up the hill from 93 in my WRX. But then I pulled into the right hand lane doing about 70. NHSP pulled me over about a minute later.

NH [Female] Trooper: "Do you know why I stopped you?
    "Yes, I was driving like a bonehead."
    She almost lost it laughing. "Wait a minute." Checks ze papers - verbal warning.

I called my [NH Cop] nephew and he said, "People feed us bullshit stories all day, so when someone is honest and/or funny, well, we can always give a ticket to the next guy."

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-20-15 at 10:42 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Well, here's my update. I did show up for the pre-trial hearing a few months ago. The officer present was not the same that stopped me, since they were taking care of many similar cases that morning. He offered to cut the fine in half and claimed that was all he could do. I took it to get it over with. I don't know if points will be taken away and when I'll know about it. (Next insurance bill perhaps?). Oh, and since then they did bump the speed limit to 65 on that stretch, finally.

Mark, I did get the impression that if I would have chosen to not accept the offer at the pre-trial hearing, the officer who stopped me would have been the one to show up in court.
    Thanks!

Like I said, if I was legitimately speeding, I'd own up to it and just pay the ticket, but I know for a fact I wasn't.

Is there a way to get records of the radar detector with dates of calibration for the pre-trial? I wasn't sure if I can just call NHSP and ask them for that stuff or not.

0 Not allowed!
    -Mark

When you get the "pretrial date" in the mail send a discovery request to the prosecutors office with your requested information.

0 Not allowed!

Not sure it would even take something like filing for discovery. I was nabbed for...well, way above 35mph...recently.
    Ticket issued. Sent it back Not guilty. Day in court came and I simply asked for the ticket to be placed on file for whatever amount of time the prosecutor thought reasonable.
    Placed on file for 6 months. Have a nice day.

0 Not allowed!

Fighting a speeding ticket in NH

Quote Originally Posted by AVI8_636 View Post
    Thanks!

Like I said, if I was legitimately speeding, I'd own up to it and just pay the ticket, but I know for a fact I wasn't.

Is there a way to get records of the radar detector with dates of calibration for the pre-trial? I wasn't sure if I can just call NHSP and ask them for that stuff or not.
    Did you mention to the trooper that it might be a mistaken ID? It is important as it might be in the report. I have similar ticket nulled not even going to the court. Good luck

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    Did you mention to the trooper that it might be a mistaken ID? It is important as it might be in the report. I have similar ticket nulled not even going to the court. Good luck
    i had this "conversation" with a trooper one day. there was a car passing me when she "got me on radar doing 73" i had the cruise set for 65. i politely asked if it was possible she tagged the wrong car since i was being passed. she said she knew it was me. i argued that even if i was doing 73 i was being passed. didnt matter. once i realized i was most likely getting a ticket, i got way more vocal about her ineptitude. she came back with a warning and pointed out that she isnt the judge and therefor arguing my case on the side of the road was futile.

0 Not allowed!
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

The gent on the right rode down from VT one November day to buy some Givi boxes from me. He got stopped on Rt 89 doing 93mph and the trooper let him go, because it was cold, or something. You never can tell.
    The guy on the left is Cromag of the Advrider Cromag Rally fame.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    I did not. I told him there was no way I was going as fast as he said I was going because I would never drive that fast, and before I could continue, he walked back to his car. I've heard nothing but bad things with arguing with troopers, and once he cited the speed I knew there was no way he was going to let it go so I figured I'd rather stay calm and take it up in court. Looking back, I should have spoken up more than I did. I'm just glad there was someone in the car with me, not that it'll matter a whole lot but I intend on bringing them to the court with me.

0 Not allowed!
    -Mark

having a witness will help, but stick to the facts.
    you have a clean record and would like to keep it that way. ask to have the ticket held for 6/12 months and see where that gets you

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    having a witness will help, but stick to the facts.
    you have a clean record and would like to keep it that way. ask to have the ticket held for 6/12 months and see where that gets you
    Does anyone know if this will help you with insurance? Because I thought insurance got your record when they pulled info from the state, then retained their own database and made decisions based on that. So even if it expires from the state's DB, the insurance company might still keep it in theirs and bill you accordingly.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

i think the whole "my insurance will go up" thing is a farce. yes, if you get multiple moving violations and the insurance sees it when its time to renew then your rates may go up. if you have a clean record and you get 1 ticket, its not going to affect anything...unless its a DUI or something major.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Does anyone know if this will help you with insurance? Because I thought insurance got your record when they pulled info from the state, then retained their own database and made decisions based on that. So even if it expires from the state's DB, the insurance company might still keep it in theirs and bill you accordingly.
    When they "put it on record", it is done so without a finding, so you are not found guilty and you are not found not-guilty, they just put it aside and let it sit in limbo for 12 months. If you get convicted of another moving violation in that 12 month period, they can (and likely will) find you guilty of the charge that was put on file. If you are not convicted of any moving violations in the 12 months, the filed charges are dismissed.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Ah, RI has something similar. Clean record going back 3 years, and less than 15mph over and they'll drop the ticket pretty much automatically. It was free, now there's a fee. However, I think they keep it in a 12mo holding period. But it is a formal process, and something that is offered to everyone who wants to take it. It sounds like they do basically the same thing in NH, but less formalized? At the prosecutor's discretion? MA has nothing like this as far as I know.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast