Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New flashlight help

New flashlight help

I know theres a whole hobby of flashlights these days but i dont know whats good out there. Just threw 2 d cell maglights in the trash, allll corroded inside, one end cap wont even come off. Thinking under $50, rechargable

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: New flashlight help

I actually like to upgrade old mag lights with better lights, circuits and cones. It's not the most cost effective way but I really like the feel of a mag. I have a large assortment of them. Some are throwers meaning they light up wide areas and other are beam types that I use on the water mostly. One can be seen over a mile away. It's just a hobby. I grab them whenever I see them at the dump or someone is giving them away and gut them.

For purchasing new lights I have a few favourites but can't remember there names. Pretty sure I buy them at Cabellas. I will look later for you.

0 Not allowed!

I keep a 3 cell maglight in the drivers door pocket of my truck, I have replaced the end cap with a pointed one to break truck windows if necessary. also replaced the original bulb with a led bulb, and replaced the old scratched plastic lense with a glass lense.

my other lamp is not a flashlight at all, it's a cordless work light, works better than ant flashlight I ever had.... one like this, but not the exact one

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WORX-1500-L...ght/1000246093

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

/\ /\ /\
    Yes. That what I like to see. Keep those old mags going.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I actually like to upgrade old mag lights with better lights, circuits and cones. It's not the most cost effective way but I really like the feel of a mag. I have a large assortment of them. Some are throwers meaning they light up wide areas and other are beam types that I use on the water mostly. One can be seen over a mile away. It's just a hobby. I grab them whenever I see them at the dump or someone is giving them away and gut them.

For purchasing new lights I have a few favourites but can't remember there names. Pretty sure I buy them at Cabellas. I will look later for you.
    You want my 2 old maglites?

0 Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Where do you buy the parts to upgrade the maglites? Have one downstairs that could use new lense, bulb and reflector.

0 Not allowed!

I have a Coast that I bought at HD. It uses 3 or 4 AA's and has an adjustable head for beam width/distance. It also has three stages of intensity. It isn't tactical but pretty well built for a $40 flashlight.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Where do you buy the parts to upgrade the maglites? Have one downstairs that could use new lense, bulb and reflector.

pretty sure I got mine from Amazon, it was 2-3yrsago, can't remember fer sure
    here's the end cap https://smile.amazon.com/Bust-Cap-Br...aglite+end+cap

New flashlight help-41yyll5hpvl-jpg

lense upgrade https://smile.amazon.com/NeuLUX-MAGL...aglite+end+cap

led bulbs https://smile.amazon.com/ABN-Maglite...aglite+end+cap

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 01-05-19 at 11:08 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Shake my cell phone twice. BOOM! Flashlight.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    More info than you will ever need for modding a maglite.

Maglite LED and incan mods and drop-ins, Overview

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    You want my 2 old maglites?
    Normally I would dive at the chance but I'm clear on the other side of the world for a while. Thanks for offering though.

1 Not allowed!

Cat herder

I'm amazed at how good cheap lights are these days. If you need something huge and heavy of course you're going to do the Maglite thing, but don't turn your nose up at the ass end of the market.

HF has surprisingly good hand-sized lights for $9.99 routinely, and also equivalent headlamps. Even those free blue hockey-puck lights have gotten a significant upgrade, moving away from the field-of-wimpy LEDs to a single strip illuminator that seems much brighter (I pick up one of the puck lights as a matter of routine, and keep 8 or 10 of 'em in an ammo box for the track. They do a great job of lighting my EZ-up at night).

Not rechargeable unless you want to swap batteries out, but they're so cheap the bang/buck is compelling.

0 Not allowed!

Since I use my flashlight and headlamp daily at work, and I carry my flashlight wherever I go, rechargeable is a must for me.

For a headlamp, I highly recommend the Milwaukee 475 lumen rechargeable headlamp. I got it at Home Depot, and liked it so much, I got another for home. Don't cheap out and get the 300 lumen one--it's not rechargeable. On the second lowest setting, I get nearly all-day use out of it and it's bright enough for working under cars all day at that setting.

If $50 is your budget for a rechargeable flashlight, I can't recommend the one I use, and it's really 10 year-old design and LED tech anyway, so for the $180 price tag, there's probably much better lights out there these days.

At Harbor Freight, I do like my Braun 390 lumen folding slim light for working in my home garage, though it may be mostly replaced by my Milwaukee headlamp. On your budget, I'd happily try the $25 Quantum rechargeable light they have.

On the higher-end brands, I'd go with a Streamlight microstream usb. It's pretty bright and pen-sized so you can keep it on you.

Don't know what you'd do if you wanted the heft and size of a Maglite, but to upgrade a Maglite.

1 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Shake my cell phone twice. BOOM! Flashlight.
    How the fuck does that work?? Can my iphone8 do that? I'm not a phone guy. And I'm old.....

0 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    How the fuck does that work?? Can my iphone8 do that? I'm not a phone guy. And I'm old.....
    There are many flashlight apps you can choose from that use the camera flash.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

I bought a headlamp years ago to use when camping and quickly found I used it for more and more daily life things. It has replaced my flashlight completely for all tasks. I was always tracking down where I'd left it last, so I bought a second one and probably a third soon.

The only purpose I see with a traditional flashlight these days is if you want one of the larger ones with light output that rivals car headlights. Otherwise, a headlamp is wayyyy more practical and can still produce a ton of light output thanks to LEDs. To me, a regular, cylindrical flashlight is analogous to a corded telephone.
    Phones have an accelerometer inside so they know which way is up, down etc. This is how they know to wake up the display when you lift a dark phone from your desk to look at it. The iOS has used 'shake' detection as an 'undo' shortcut for a long time, but I don't think many people know about that. However, for some reason they don't offer it for the flashlight. I'm not sure there's any technical limitation. I'd guess it might involve a patent they don't own.

It has a flashlight in it still though. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to show the panel of gray buttons. Flashlight is there.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    More info than you will ever need for modding a maglite.

Maglite LED and incan mods and drop-ins, Overview
    There really is a forum for everything on the internet.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

It works like this:

1. I shake my cell phone twice.
    2. BOOM!
    3. Flashlight.

As mentioned, there is likely an app. Not sure on the iPhones but on this Droid Turbo 3, it came like that. I don't even see an app on my phone for the flashlight however I still have controls to enable and disable the function.

The phone is set up to enable the flashlight when shaken however I can modify what the phone does when shaken. Doesn't have to be the flashlight.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The only purpose I see with a traditional flashlight these days is if you want one of the larger ones with light output that rivals car headlights. Otherwise, a headlamp is wayyyy more practical and can still produce a ton of light output thanks to LEDs. To me, a regular, cylindrical flashlight is analogous to a corded telephone.
    A handheld flashlight can give you light at another angle that might illuminate something you can see, but a headlamp would be blocked. A handheld flashlight can be used as a self-defense tool--baton or kubaton style. A handheld flashlight can be mounted to a firearm, if that's what you want. Etc, etc.

I do find my headlamp super handy--especially when both hands are needed. I kicked myself pretty hard when I first started using one after 10 years as a mechanic.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 01-05-19 at 09:15 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    A handheld flashlight can give you light at another angle that might illuminate something you can see, but a headlamp would be blocked. A handheld flashlight can be used as a self-defense tool--baton or kubaton style. A handheld flashlight can be mounted to a firearm, if that's what you want. Etc, etc.

I do find my headlamp super handy--especially when both hands are needed. I kicked myself pretty hard when I first started using one after 10 years as a mechanic.
    I take my headlamp off and hold it like a flashlight in the situations where I need a different angle. Or I could grab my second one and use it that way. But I can't think of the last time I really struggled with that.

10 years ago, when everyone had 2 or 3 cell maglites, using it as a baton was a neat bonus functionality since any decent flashlight was going to be large anyway. Today, forget that. If you really want a baton, just buy one. I can't think of the last time I was ever walking around with my headlamp and thought 'boy, wish I had a weapon with me too'.
    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    As mentioned, there is likely an app. Not sure on the iPhones but on this Droid Turbo 3, it came like that. I don't even see an app on my phone for the flashlight however I still have controls to enable and disable the function.

The phone is set up to enable the flashlight when shaken however I can modify what the phone does when shaken. Doesn't have to be the flashlight.
    The iPhone flashlight is not an app, it's a default 'control' like you're describing in Android. We also have a shake feature. What's missing is the ability to change what the shake feature is assigned to. Kinda odd since they have similar options for other things, which is why I suspect it's intellectual property related.

Even if a third-party app could provide flashlight functionality with a shake, it'd have to be open in the background already. So I guess that's handy if you'll be turning the light on and off many times, so you open the app the first time. But unless that's really worthwhile, I'd avoid installing third party apps. Just use the flashlight toggle that already exists with your thumb.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I haven't used my headlamp since I bought my cordless work light

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

While working in the field, I came across someone using one of these and I had to have it. Under $25 at Walmart and it's USB chargeable and can even charge your cellphone in a pinch. It works so well for the price that I've bought several more to keep around the house and my garage.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...mens/654268083

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I like Fenix products myself, although you'll have to supply the batteries. I carry a Fenix E12 on my motorcycle which only takes one AA battery and puts out ~200 lumens on "high" IIRC. Then I have a Fenix LD22 in the car for various uses, which takes 2 AA batteries and puts out 300 lumens on "turbo".

I also have a pair of Black Diamond Spot headlamps for hiking and camping. They take 3 AAA's.

For batteries, I use Eneloop rechargeables. They're the best rechargeable Ni-MH batteries you can buy right now, they're MUCH better than the older rechargeables that would lose their zero point very quickly, and wouldn't hold a charge for long periods of time, and they're a lot cheaper than the lithium rechargeables (18650's).

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 01-07-19 at 07:26 AM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    pretty sure I got mine from Amazon, it was 2-3yrsago, can't remember fer sure
    here's the end cap https://smile.amazon.com/Bust-Cap-Br...aglite+end+cap

New flashlight help-41yyll5hpvl-jpg

lense upgrade https://smile.amazon.com/NeuLUX-MAGL...aglite+end+cap

led bulbs https://smile.amazon.com/ABN-Maglite...aglite+end+cap
    i have a 2 cell mag light in my glove box...i'm def adding that window breaker...i have a window breaker on the end of my knife plus a seat belt cutter...i've had that flashlight since sometime in middle/high school when i was in boy scouts

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Cat herder

That looks like the emitter that's now in the free HF puck light.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    While working in the field, I came across someone using one of these and I had to have it. Under $25 at Walmart and it's USB chargeable and can even charge your cellphone in a pinch. It works so well for the price that I've bought several more to keep around the house and my garage.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...mens/654268083

0 Not allowed!

I need to keep a light in my pocket pretty much all the time and don't particularly like pulling my cellphone out. I also tend to loose things, or leave them inside equipment, or break them, or whatever, so I don't want to pay so much that I'm pissed if it goes bye-bye. I've tested a bunch of different lights over the years and this is the one I now carry every day:
    Redline OC

LED, 100 lumens is plenty, even shining across my 2 acre lot at night. Telescoping lens. Solid or strobe. Striking edge. Magnet base. Fits nicely in the pocket. $20.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast