Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Fluid film.... application

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Fluid film.... application

I have new to me Lexus 07 GX 470 to replace the sold Xterra. (Its the tits compared to the X and will make a great overlander but that's another thread)

Its from TX with no rust, not a bit and I'd like to keep it that way I'd lke to keep this GX for ever

Figuring on Fluid film but trying to ID if its worth it to get a spray gun and compressor vs just buying 7 cans and spraying

Any thought for the best bag for the buck set up?

Currently dont even have a compressor, supposedly the FF in a bucket is more viscous than the spray can allowing to spray a thicker application.

I"m assuming I'll apply 1x / yr maybe 2x ( 1 beginning of winter and then half way thru)

Any thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Fluid film.... application

We use the stuff in a can at work for spot treatment. It works pretty well. I'd have no issue with buying a case and going to town over buying a compressor and the accessories, unless you "need" the compressor for other things.

0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Seven cans won't nearly be enough, although a truly rust free undercarriage won't sponge it up like a rusty dirty one will. I have heard of an electric paint sprayer from HF used with the gallons. I'm trying Woolwax this year, supposed to be thicker. No experience yet.

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Woolwax is fluid film, name change. I bought some last year and half the cans were fluid film and half were woolwax.

Yes the stuff in the gallon can seems to be thicker. I've used both. Here is my take on the procedure.

Initial coating on a car takes a good bit as you want to coat everything, behind wheel well plastic, in the frame (important), pop the grommets on the doors and do inside them, inside the rocker panels, etc. Yeah, spraying the frame outside with the cans is good, but it isn't protecting everything. If you go the spray can route, they do have extensions to allow you to do inside the frame and such.

When I did my Tundra, Armada, and little car, I used about 1.5 gallons the first time. I don't recoat the inside of the doors and rockers every year, I don't think there is any reason to as the material has no where to go. Maybe every 2-3 years on that stuff. But everything else gets it, including inside the frame. I keep a couple spray cans around to touch up through the winter on the leading edges of the frame and suspension components. I've been tempted to get some under body coating for some of those areas as FF isn't really that good at staying put on areas that get heavy water/sand spray.

I use the spray gun kit that you can get from fluid film. The biggest asset to the kit is the two wands, the spray around and the straight through. These allow you to get into the tight areas and up into the frame/doors/wheel wells, etc. In fact, I don't even use the gun alone anymore, I use the spray through wand to do the flat surfaces as it is more controllable. But I do have the convenience of a compressed air system that most do not so air isn't an issue. I have three cans for the spray gun, I fill them all from the gallon and then sit them in a hot water bath. This helps the material spray and then it hardens on the car. Doing it right (and without a lift) can be a time consuming process. You should pull each wheel to get around the suspension (watch the brake pads, in fact, have a can of brake cleaner on hand) and up into the wheel wells. Also, don't discount not pulling any of the under body guards to get up behind them, the salt water WILL get there. In fact, you should pull those guards, run the car through a car wash (which you need to do anyway to get it clean) to get any build up off.

I don't want to discourage you, but I also hate to see you get an hour into it and realize it's more work than you thought. Give yourself time, and be methodical to be sure you hit all the areas. My Avalanche died prematurely due to inside the frame rust, not letting that happen to the new trucks.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Falko; 11-15-19 at 08:55 AM.
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

yup looks like woolwax is the better setup.

Looking at their site they have a standard gun and pro gun ( 3hp compressor seems to be minimum per them)

anyone have insight in the standard vs pro? talked to woolwax they suggested Pro in this weather to get better amtomization and 1 gallon for a large SUV.
    Also reiterated what some of you said.... the first year is takes longer to get inside of frames etc following years just need a respray

I"m prone to going this route vs just cleaning the undercarriage as the GX's tend to rust rot more than other frames but not as bad as the tacos when they went under frame recall

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

I'm not sure which gun I have.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

where are you located? I bought 5 gallons of the stuff last year and have a lift and a sprayer.

0 Not allowed!