Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forgot Bill Of Sale at home, bike got towed :(, what happens now?

Forgot Bill Of Sale at home, bike got towed :(, what happens now?

Picked up a CBR900RR a few days ago and rode it to a friends house to show it off and in my hurry to get there I forgot the B.O.S from the previous owner As luck would have it I got pulled over and the bike got towed.
    Officer wrote me up for: 90/23 Attaching plates, 90/34 Uninsured Motor Vehicle, 90/9 Unregistered MV and 50 in a 40.
    Obviously I have to go to court, do I even have a defense? Can I get the bike from the tow lot tomorrow if I bring them all the paperwork I Have (B.O.S., title) ?

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Forgot Bill Of Sale at home, bike got towed :(, what happens now?

Go to court, bring all the paper work. Tell them the story. They usually either let you off or reduce the ticket. They won't make you waste your trip to court for nothing. They figured you learned your lesson already.

I assume I'm still gonna pay for the speeding though right? Lol
    Will the attaching plates etc go on my insurance?

Last edited by Garrett; 08-04-12 at 01:25 AM.

Between storage and tow, you are already talkin $$, fix it quick is all I can say.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Lifer

The speeding is still on, but, you can always explain that it was a new bike you were a little unfamiliar with and it slipped up easily. You should know that you will be admitting guilt by saying this, so that might be all they want to hear. But it is true, a different vehicle is easy to make a little mistake on. It's not like you blasted past them with the throttle pinned.

Despite forgetting the BOS, was it insured and just not registered? If so, I think that might help your case a lot. That's really the big deal here, no one wants an uninsured vehicle on the road. When you have your date, be sure to bring all the paperwork to prove what you say.

Pretty sure all of those are considered 'moving violations' and will count towards your insurance rates.

Last edited by aldend123; 08-04-12 at 01:51 AM.
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

the tow yard will not release the bike until it is insured and registered, then you have to pay storage (about 20 bucks a day if not more)and a towing fee (around a 100)

2006 RC51/RVT1000R - 1993 Yamaha TW200
    Past. 2000 RC51/RVT1000R *1308 - 1989 CBR600F1 'Hurricane"

Be respectful, honest and sincere.
    Every Judge that I ever stood in front found it a refreshing change to the usual liar scumbags they have to deal with.

and if he gives you a break, remember to thank him/her...

Last edited by gadget; 08-04-12 at 05:51 AM.
    Sam

Best bet is to show up and plead stupid (not stupidity.) They might take a little mercy on you.

I'm not going to preach, but unregistered, with invalid plates attached (this is a big one to police,) uninsured (which, by the way, the insurance company would not honor in the event of an accident even if you were insured because the unregistered vehicle should not have been on the road) and speeding.....Sometimes you have to pay to play.

You didn't say where you lived, but those look like MA laws.

Did you take plates off another legally registered bike that you just lost posession of? If so, you have 7 days to transfer the reg over to the new bike. Those charges should just go away (minus the speeding) when you explain yourself in court.

If you just slapped plates on consider it a very expensive lesson.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

You would have been better off with no plate than attaching plates. Hopefully you'll get an understanding judge. Attaching plates is a major no-no. Good luck.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Picked up a CBR900RR a few days ago and rode it to a friends house to show it off and in my hurry to get there I forgot the B.O.S from the previous owner As luck would have it I got pulled over and the bike got towed.
    Officer wrote me up for: 90/23 Attaching plates, 90/34 Uninsured Motor Vehicle, 90/9 Unregistered MV and 50 in a 40.
    Obviously I have to go to court, do I even have a defense? Can I get the bike from the tow lot tomorrow if I bring them all the paperwork I Have (B.O.S., title) ?

Thanks
    I fail to see how the bill of sale would have helped here? Still missed the whole go to the RMV part. You are going to have a hard time saying you misunderstood the rules by throwing a random plate on there, also why speed on an unregistered uninsured bike? I'm not going to go into the ramifications of you doing that Go there and admit you were just impatient and want to make things right.

Go to court tell them your a dumbass.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Lifer
    If you were in nh you can plead ignorance to the plates violation. The rest you're guilty of, wouldn't make a bit of a difference if you had a bill of sale with you.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    You didn't say where you lived, but those look like MA laws.

Did you take plates off another legally registered bike that you just lost posession of? If so, you have 7 days to transfer the reg over to the new bike. Those charges should just go away (minus the speeding) when you explain yourself in court.

If you just slapped plates on consider it a very expensive lesson.
    Yes, MA. And yes I Just sold my GSXR. E30addict huh? What do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by WordTooYoMamma View Post
    I fail to see how the bill of sale would have helped here? Still missed the whole go to the RMV part. You are going to have a hard time saying you misunderstood the rules by throwing a random plate on there, also why speed on an unregistered uninsured bike? I'm not going to go into the ramifications of you doing that Go there and admit you were just impatient and want to make things right.
    The bill of sale would have made the plate attaching legal because I Have 7 days to register it from the date of purchase. Was not a random plate, it was a currently registered & insured plate off a bike I sold. When you go from a 750 to a 900 it's a bit of a jump, it was 1am and I just wanted to get home.

Last edited by Garrett; 08-04-12 at 10:04 AM.

Wirelessly posted (Infuse)

Yea it doesn't work like that. The vehicle has to be registered and insured. Plate means nothing. Just because you have 7 days to register and insure doesn't mean you can ride around without both done. As a matter of fact are you sure your not confusing the inspection rules with registration? 7 days and riding around sounds like inspection to me. The things you were cited had nothing to do with your bill of sale. I got pulled over in February 1/4 mile from the registry on my bike. Bikes registration was expired. So bike was unregistered.

EDIT: I STAND CORRECTED: EDIT

Last edited by WordTooYoMamma; 08-04-12 at 10:44 AM.

The 7 days is a grace period. It's perfectly legal to ride around with the plate, provided you have the proper paperwork. It says so right on the back of your registration.

Is there a Grace Period for Transferring a Registration?
    If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

You must be at least 18 years old.
    The newly acquired vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle or trailer.
    You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle.
    You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle.
    The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle.

Please note, there is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.

Last edited by Garrett; 08-04-12 at 10:32 AM.

Talk to the storage company and ask what they need from you...that I would consider step one because
    you are paying storage for it....

As long as your plate story is what is as described, you should be off the hook as long as you play it right

99 R6 track bike

The 7 days is a grace period. It's perfectly legal to ride around with the plate, provided you have the proper paperwork. It says so right on the back of your registration.
    I just don't buy the fact he cited you for the unregistered, uninsured even without the bill of sale if you could produce it eventually.

Lol I can photocopy the citation and post it :p
    I even said right to him "My friend passed us and he can go get the paperwork and bring it here" but he didn't want to hear it.
    And I said my friend has a pick up truck and we can just take it that way and at first he agreed but then he said but I have no way of knowing you legally own it (after running the VIN) so it's gonna get towed and I said I can go get the paperwork right now and bring it here. Didn't make a difference.

Perhaps insurance works differently in MA (well, obviously) but if I sold my bike now and bought another one tomorrow, my current insurance (state farm) would still cover me. If I hopped on your bike my insurance would cover me and the bike.

I guess if your insurance works like that, you need to print the part of the policy that states that and bring it with you to court, that should get the no insurance charge knocked off.

It was 1AM.

Nothing good ever happens at 1AM.

Fair or unfair, he lacked the paperwork to prove the bike was his, insured and within the grace period.

On the good side, since it appears he did everything legally except have the BOS with him, I would expect the magistrate to be reasonable if he's honest, polite, contrite and reasonably well-dressed for his appearance.

Plead "irrational exuberance" at having acquired a new bike.

Lol I can photocopy the citation and post it :p
    I even said right to him "My friend passed us and he can go get the paperwork and bring it here" but he didn't want to hear it.
    And I said my friend has a pick up truck and we can just take it that way and at first he agreed but then he said but I have no way of knowing you legally own it (after running the VIN) so it's gonna get towed and I said I can go get the paperwork right now and bring it here. Didn't make a difference.
    I am not saying you aren't giving us the truth. I meant I can't believe he would do that, seems like a waste of all time involved.

Yes, MA. And yes I Just sold my GSXR. E30addict huh? What do you have?
    Had 7 or so E30's. I still have the first one I ever bought, it's a 1990 325is with a J-Stock suspension and Massive brakes. I just sold a 91 318is that I used as a daily driver for a few years and miss it already.

The bill of sale would have made the plate attaching legal because I Have 7 days to register it from the date of purchase. Was not a random plate, it was a currently registered & insured plate off a bike I sold. When you go from a 750 to a 900 it's a bit of a jump, it was 1am and I just wanted to get home.
    Just go finish transferring the plate over. When you go to court show a copy of the BOS and new registration, explain you transferred the plate legally and simply forgot to bring it with you on the ride. If you're polite I'm sure they'll dismiss those charges. You might even get lucky and explain the new bike thing and unintentionally was going faster than you realized.

Wirelessly posted (Infuse)

Yea it doesn't work like that.
    Yes it does. You have seven days to transfer the reg. AFTER it's registered, you have another 7 days to get a inspection sticker.

I just don't buy the fact he cited you for the unregistered, uninsured even without the bill of sale if you could produce it eventually.
    Eh, side of the road at 1 am? I'm sure he's heard "I just bought this" before. Without proof he pretty much has to do something. He could have been nicer about it and just said to call someone to come pick it up. Some cops are dicks though. That's what court is for.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Cops can do what they want..as SteveM said, 1am is a suspicious time.
    In the cop's mind, he is playing safe, bike could have been stolen, just not reported yet

Last edited by j4eric; 08-04-12 at 10:55 AM.
    99 R6 track bike

I don't think the cop was being a dick to take the bike off the raod, considering the time and circumstances. If he had been more lenient, he could have exposed the department to liability if there had been an accident later.

Expecting cops to cut someone a break and labeling them dicks whenthey don't is unreasonable. Expecting them to do their job professionally and being appreciative when they do let something slide is a better perspective.

Unfortunately,it seems to me that more motorcyclists instantly regard the police as the enemy in any encounter. They're not your friend, they've got a job to do, respect that and almost all encounters go pretty well.

Having said that, I will admit that hard luggage, full gear, gray hair, caucasian parents and respectful "king's english" all stack the deck in my favor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast