Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forgot Bill Of Sale at home, bike got towed :(, what happens now?

Re: Forgot Bill Of Sale at home, bike got towed :(, what happens now?

you can't fix stupid.... ya fucked up with out the right paper work...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    I even said right to him "My friend passed us and he can go get the paperwork and bring it here" but he didn't want to hear it.
    And I said my friend has a pick up truck and we can just take it that way and at first he agreed but then he said but I have no way of knowing you legally own it (after running the VIN) so it's gonna get towed and I said I can go get the paperwork right now and bring it here. Didn't make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I don't think the cop was being a dick to take the bike off the raod, considering the time and circumstances. If he had been more lenient, he could have exposed the department to liability if there had been an accident later.
    This is why I think he was being somewhat of a dick. I wouldn't expect him to let the guy ride the bike away without proving it was legal, but it sounds like the proper paperwork could have been produced in less time than it would take for a tow truck to show up, load the bike and clear the scene. Sounds like more work was created for all in involved when a quick, easy solution was already at hand. Granted, none of us was actually there to see the tone of how it all went down, on either side.

Having said that, I will admit that hard luggage, full gear, gray hair, caucasian parents and respectful "king's english" all stack the deck in my favor.
    I'm beginning to reap the benefits of this as well now. Still not sure how I really feel about that.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post

Yes it does. You have seven days to transfer the reg. AFTER it's registered, you have another 7 days to get a inspection sticker.

Hence the EDIT: I STAND CORRECTED: EDIT under my post...

Last edited by WordTooYoMamma; 08-04-12 at 11:51 AM.

Lifer

This will probably be an inconvenient, expensive mess, no matter what happens. Consider it an expensive lesson in Life Learning. To ride a new bike, with no proof of registration or insurance, at 1 AM, at even 1 MPH over the speed limit, is just not a good thing to do, and you took a huge risk for nothing but a little attention. I guarantee that when you get older, you will look back on this, and say "I was so stupid to do that". We all have a couple of things like this in our past.
    It has been my experience that, in these cases, the punishment rarely fits the crime - kind of like breaking your arm because you forgot to tie your shoes.

This is why I think he was being somewhat of a dick. I wouldn't expect him to let the guy ride the bike away without proving it was legal, but it sounds like the proper paperwork could have been produced in less time than it would take for a tow truck to show up, load the bike and clear the scene. Sounds like more work was created for all in involved when a quick, easy solution was already at hand. Granted, none of us was actually there to see the tone of how it all went down, on either side.

I'm beginning to reap the benefits of this as well now. Still not sure how I really feel about that.
    My tone was calm, FWIW. As soon as he walked up I told him what the deal was, didn't try to hide anything, didn't give him any attitude because I knew I was in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    This will probably be an inconvenient, expensive mess, no matter what happens. Consider it an expensive lesson in Life Learning. To ride a new bike, with no proof of registration or insurance, at 1 AM, at even 1 MPH over the speed limit, is just not a good thing to do, and you took a huge risk for nothing but a little attention. I guarantee that when you get older, you will look back on this, and say "I was so stupid to do that". We all have a couple of things like this in our past.
    It has been my experience that, in these cases, the punishment rarely fits the crime - kind of like breaking your arm because you forgot to tie your shoes.
    To this I respond with Yolo

The parents and gray hair are beyond my control, although the gray hair could be an impediment in some areas, caucasian parents are almost always a benefit in this world.

The gear, luggage and tone are choices. Except for the tone, they aren't choices I make in anticipation of a LEO encounter.

Being polite and respectful and not bullshitting cops is something I learned as a kid in Dorchester. Back then, cops had a much wider latitude with regard to the way they interpreted a citizen's rights...

Now, it's just common sense, which the Internet seems to prove is an increasingly rare commodity.

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

When cops are reasonable to me I'm polite and courteous back. When they are dicks right off the bat I tell them to give me the ticket or not but spare the attitude and they almost always walk away with a smarmy comment and no ticket.

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Here's the MA Law:

An individual, corporation or company may transfer an existing registration from one vehicle to another if the following conditions apply:

The registration is active.
    The owners on the registration will not change.
    Both vehicles conform to the same plate standards.
    Is there a Grace Period for Transferring a Registration?
    If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

You must be at least 18 years old.
    The newly acquired vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle or trailer.
    You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle.
    You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle.
    The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle.
    7 day transfer law FAQ

If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

Garandman has posted what I know to be the law, the facts, the truth.

In court, a clerk magistrate hears it first. He or she may pore over the paperwork to check and see if the date that you "disposed of" the previous bike was more the seven days before you got stopped. That's the first day of being eligible to use the "7 day transfer" provision, which BTW used to be only 3. If the clerk magistrate is being a pleasant person that day, they may consider 7 days starting when you bought the new ride. None of that negates the fact that documents were not "in the vehicle", though if otherwise in order may use discretion and dismiss most charges in view of getting some coin out of you on the speeding.

This is where, when and why an attorney can help negotiate. Yes, they are money but so is paying MA SDIP insurance surcharges on moving violations for six years.

2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS, Crystal White

Quote Originally Posted by rvtjonny View Post
    the tow yard will not release the bike until it is insured and registered, then you have to pay storage (about 20 bucks a day if not more)and a towing fee (around a 100)
    Unless you are trailering it or putting in a pickup.

best advice i could give you is to bring the bill of sale and title(or copy of the title since you will most likely be registering it and you won't have it with you). When you get to court you definitely don't want to blame the cop, take all the blame, mae sure you tell them the officer was just doing his job but somehow you forgot the proper paperwork at home and in your hurry to get home you got pulled over. make sure you act like an innocent guy that made a dumb mistake. That's the best advice i can give you.

Michel Francois

you know you could have had the bike towed to your house as long as you paid for it directly right. the cop would have kept the plate and tell you he would need to use it as evidence in court

Michel Francois

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12