Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fruit Trees to Plant in New England

Fruit Trees to Plant in New England

After growing my own vegetable last year I want to plant some fruit trees this year.
    Not many. Tops 5, most likely 2-3. Id like something that produces fruit failrly easy, I think peach?
    I also read there are some trees you can plant in buckets and move in the shed/garage Id be very open to that.
    I would also consider a couple of nice trees that dont generate fruit but are nice to have around the property, very open to recommendations.

0 Not allowed!

Re: Fruit Trees to Plant in New England

apples are easiest to maintain

pears, you need at least 2 trees

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 02-24-19 at 09:30 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

We had a little orchard as a kid - mostly apples and pears. Think we also had a plum and peach but don't remember getting much fruit from it. We had apple trees everywhere, I actually grew up in a town called Appleton so I guess it would have been weird if we didn't.

Last year we got a small lilac tree and it grew a surprising amount. Hoping it is hardy enough to get a foothold - they are awfully pretty.

1 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

I have a peach tree. It does well.

0 Not allowed!

Apple, cherry, peach, blueberry, plumb, grapes, raspberries, all easy to grow in the northeast. I’ve never seen a potted fruit tree do well while living in a pot, they need to send tap roots deep in the ground, which doesn’t happen while in a pot.

Keep in mind with fruit trees, you’ll still need to spray them multiple times in the growing season to keep insects away.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

We have a Kanzan cherry tree (non-fruiting) for aesthetics in the yard. Very nice tree to look at, especially when blooming. Doesn't get overly large, 14-15' high.

As for fruit trees, more hassle than they're worth in my eyes. Had apple trees on the farm, PIA to keep the insects away and then the fruit just lays on the ground and rots. Unless you are going the full on off the grid scenario, I don't like fruit trees. Better off getting some blueberry and raspberry bushes. Friend of mine grows grapes on his boundary fence, make his own jelly every year. I've seen some lemon trees potted that provide some fruit, but I guess about as many lemons as you'd want.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

We have a couple of apple trees... the one produces fruit every year, the other is every other year. We have a few blueberry bushes too that produce a bunch every year. Next will be a peach or nectarine tree

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

We practically have a forest of blackberries. Absolutely delicious for a few weeks of the year, otherwise an intensely invasive bush with giant thorns that will grow like mad and suffocate all other plant life out of existence. Other than that I love having them.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

we have 1 cherry tree, 2 apple trees, a ridiculous amount of blueberries (the good/small/low bush kind, not that big berry bullshit), raspberries, and blackberries.

Hard to get some of it before the birds do, especially the cherries. Apple trees have only been in a few years so I'm sure it will be a few more years before we see apples.

0 Not allowed!

With the exception of one full-blown "peach farm", I've never seen peach trees do well up our way. And even the "peach farm" ended up throwing in the towel because it was too much work.

As others have said; raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries all do well up our way too. There's a great many people I know that do very well with apple trees. Also as others pointed out, some fruit bushes can be rather obtrusive and invasive if you're not careful.

We'll be planting three apple trees ourselves soon. Specific varieties to harvest at different times of the year so we have them from summer until winter. We don't cook much with them other than apple bread & muffins. I'm not a fan of cooked fruit. But I can eat five of those fuckers a day straight up outta hand. A fresh, good apple is like crack to me. I feel like part of me has died over the winter because I can't get truly fresh apples to get me my fix.

1 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Olive? for the greek

1 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    With the exception of one full-blown "peach farm", I've never seen peach trees do well up our way. And even the "peach farm" ended up throwing in the towel because it was too much work.

As others have said; raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries all do well up our way too. There's a great many people I know that do very well with apple trees. Also as others pointed out, some fruit bushes can be rather obtrusive and invasive if you're not careful.

We'll be planting three apple trees ourselves soon. Specific varieties to harvest at different times of the year so we have them from summer until winter. We don't cook much with them other than apple bread & muffins. I'm not a fan of cooked fruit. But I can eat five of those fuckers a day straight up outta hand. A fresh, good apple is like crack to me. I feel like part of me has died over the winter because I can't get truly fresh apples to get me my fix.
    We live a bit south of Boston - a peach tree down the street from us gets loaded every year. It is kinda sad, their driveway gets covered and I'm not sure any of them get eaten.

0 Not allowed!

. A fresh, good apple is like crack to me. I feel like part of me has died over the winter because I can't get truly fresh apples to get me my fix.
    I have a Cortland apple, it produced good till the tent worms got to it, the tree is not salvageable, Ideally, I want a Cortland (good cooking and eating apple) a Northern Spy (good winter storage apple) and a pair of Bartlett pairs.

Last good apple I had on my tree was couple years ago (a tree full of buggy apples and one nearly perfect apple) and Stoneman snagged it

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

consider becoming a beekeeper, for best fruit production

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I have a Cortland apple, it produced good till the tent worms got to it, the tree is not salvageable, Ideally, I want a Cortland (good cooking and eating apple) a Northern Spy (good winter storage apple) and a pair of Bartlett pairs.
    We're thinking Summer Treats for an early variety, Cortland or Macoun for mid-season, then Honey Crisp for late season because they store incredibly well.

Last good apple I had on my tree was couple years ago (a tree full of buggy apples and one nearly perfect apple) and Stoneman snagged it
    And it was AWESOME! Although your straggly ol' tree has had some good years.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Olive? for the greek
    Actually, I *DO* know of a couple people that grow grapes successfully. In fact, the farmer next door can't get rid of them now. His grandfather planted them for wine WAY back when. Now they're a nuisance.

0 Not allowed!

We're thinking Summer Treats for an early variety, Cortland or Macoun for mid-season, then Honey Crisp for late season because they store incredibly well.

And it was AWESOME! Although your straggly ol' tree has had some good years.

almost all apple trees today are mature branches grafted to root stock, (the reason you get fruit within 2 years of planting) and some nurseries even sell trees that have multiple varieties on a single tree

I am not familiar with Honey Crisp. The Northern Spy is an heirloom variety, getting hard to find, I like em cause they have a unique spicy flavor

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I have five very old apple trees in my yard they produced a lot of fruit the 1st year we owned the house. This past year we got nothing? Is that normal? And how far back can I prune these as they have been neglected. Would love to save them as they appear to be heirloom varieties and we made some very tasty pies and crisp.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    I have five very old apple trees in my yard they produced a lot of fruit the 1st year we owned the house. This past year we got nothing? Is that normal? And how far back can I prune these as they have been neglected. Would love to save them as they appear to be heirloom varieties and we made some very tasty pies and crisp.
    Apple trees are pretty consistent and produce fruit every year, unlike some other fruit trees. If there's no fruit on an apple tree, the cause is typically a frost or freeze during apple blossom. They also could drop their fruit during the growing season if there's a drought, it's a natural defence mechanism that saves the trees life.

I used to prune fruit trees as a side gig, rule of thumb is never cut off more than 1/3 of the branches and always prune in the winter season. I was tought to trim in sets of 3, 3 branches off the main trunk, 3 mains off the saved branch , etc. Old growth is what produces fruit, never the prior seasons growth.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by R7; 02-26-19 at 08:19 PM.
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

almost all apple trees today are mature branches grafted to root stock, (the reason you get fruit within 2 years of planting) and some nurseries even sell trees that have multiple varieties on a single tree

I am not familiar with Honey Crisp. The Northern Spy is an heirloom variety, getting hard to find, I like em cause they have a unique spicy flavor
    Honey crisp are my favorite!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    There are some apple varieties that are known to produce only every 2nd or 3rd year. I can't think of them off the top of my head. But Burgandies come to mind. Which, incidentally is THE best out of hand apple if you like tart apples.

0 Not allowed!

There are some apple varieties that are known to produce only every 2nd or 3rd year. I can't think of them off the top of my head. But Burgandies come to mind. Which, incidentally is THE best out of hand apple if you like tart apples.
    You're like really into apples it would seem....

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Yeah? Well I got his number, How do you like THEM apples?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I already kind of said that!

I can eat five of those fuckers a day straight up outta hand. A fresh, good apple is like crack to me. I feel like part of me has died over the winter because I can't get truly fresh apples to get me my fix.
    I'm only truly familiar with what's readily available to me fresh & locally. I don't want to give the impression that I know more than I do. But I've done a bit of research on what grows good around me and at what point they're ready to harvest.

0 Not allowed!

Our Fuji Apple tree produces every year but the Red Delicious that we have is every other.

We didnt treat for bugs at all and we still did great last year

As for blueberries. I built frames out of PVC and we net the bushes. Keeps the birds away and we hauled in gallons and gallons and gallons of berries from 6 bushes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast