Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Fruit Trees to Plant in New England

Re: Fruit Trees to Plant in New England

How do you guys treat for bugs. We have one tree that is a great producer but we mostly use the fruit for pies due to insects.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I've tried a few different home made concoctions, what worked best was a mash of spearmint leaves with vinegar diluted. You want to deter pests, but not bees, but past few years I have done nothing, and it showed in my wormy apples

if anyone wants some spearmint plants to get started I got em, beware, spearmint is invasive

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I use the organic version of BT. http://https://www.planetnatural.com...thuringiensis/

Itís costly, but works very well. Safe for bees, people, pets, etc

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I'm trying to get a couple avocado trees started. I've got 18"ish seedlings now. But from what I've read, it's going to be years before they produce fruit

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    I'm trying to get a couple avocado trees started. I've got 18"ish seedlings now. But from what I've read, it's going to be years before they produce fruit
    Like other trees, avocados will fruit faster from graft than from seed. Also, many avocados are hybrids, so you are taking a crapshoot on how the fruit on the seeds you planted will turn out. That being said, the best avocado tree in my parents yard (they have 5) was one that grew from seed.

0 Not allowed!

I don't know how well it will work up here, but down in Fla we would use Eucalyptus mulch around some trees to keep the bugs off. I'm guessing due to the smell, it would be similar to the spearmint idea Randy mentioned.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

We planted 1/2 a dozen apple trees the first year we were here and another 1/2 dozen last year on top of two peach trees. I haven't had much luck with apples in NH but have been successful with peaches. No need to get fancy; trees from Lowes, Home depot and tractor supply will work and are the cheapest you'll find for prices.

UNH cooperative extension will work with you if you end up with an insect/fungus issue. They're a great resource.

Keep in mind the deer will set you back a few years if they find the trees.

Fitz

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    We planted 1/2 a dozen apple trees the first year we were here and another 1/2 dozen last year on top of two peach trees. I haven't had much luck with apples in NH but have been successful with peaches. No need to get fancy; trees from Lowes, Home depot and tractor supply will work and are the cheapest you'll find for prices.

UNH cooperative extension will work with you if you end up with an insect/fungus issue. They're a great resource.

Keep in mind the deer will set you back a few years if they find the trees.

Fitz
    That's what happened to our apple trees. One of them ended up being eaten down to a stub about a foot high... still alive though!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    No need to get fancy; trees from Lowes, Home depot and tractor supply will work and are the cheapest you'll find for prices.

Fitz
    Not true at all, and probably the reason youíre not having luck with apples.
    Iíve bought the garbage from HD in the past, apple trees donít produce for years, and for whatever reason, the trees are softer and never got strong enough to hold apples, should they ever grow.

I bought some grade A trees from a local apple orchard, bare root when I got them and about 3í tall. Second year, I got a dozen apples from each tree, 3rd year I didnít even bother to count.

2 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Not true at all, and probably the reason you’re not having luck with apples.
    I’ve bought the garbage from HD in the past, apple trees don’t produce for years, and for whatever reason, the trees are softer and never got strong enough to hold apples, should they ever grow.

I bought some grade A trees from a local apple orchard, bare root when I got them and about 3’ tall. Second year, I got a dozen apples from each tree, 3rd year I didn’t even bother to count.

agree 100% big box store plants are not "climatized" they ship in plants and nursery stock from hundreds of miles away.

I had same results, planted a 3 footer I bought at the local home & garden center/landscaping co., exactly a dozen apples the next year, year 3, a bushel

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Cherry Tree? Yes/No?

0 Not allowed!

I use the organic version of BT. http://https://www.planetnatural.com...thuringiensis/

It’s costly, but works very well. Safe for bees, people, pets, etc
    When do you apply it?

Snow should be gone in a couple weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    When do you apply it?

Snow should be gone in a couple weeks.
    There needs to be green leaves, so just after flowering, or the buds start to open.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Cherry Tree? Yes/No?
    Yup!

1 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Any other suggestions? Growing an apple tree from a cutting.

https://www.hunker.com/12339553/how-...-tree-cuttings

0 Not allowed!

About to try this with my Grandfather's quince. It hasn't been doing well the last few years, and then a couple weeks ago the neighbor's maple crushed it after an ice storm. I'm hoping I can get a cutting to take root and preserve some of this tree.

0 Not allowed!

Problem with apple trees, they typically don't produce good roots from a cutting, it starting from seeds. Best bet is to graft the cutting to a root system. I have yet to try a graft tho and I think it falls into a form if art to get it to work.

I have used rooting powder before and it works really good, just never tried with an apple tree.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Hey Mahk! Any chance you have any Rhode Island Greening apple trees on your props? In talking with a local orchard, I learned they were developed down in your area and the oldest known tree may still be kicking down there.

If you haven't tried them, and you like tart fresh eating (out of hand) apples, you don't know what you're missing. They're like a Granny Smith on steroids.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Hey Mahk! Any chance you have any Rhode Island Greening apple trees on your props? In talking with a local orchard, I learned they were developed down in your area and the oldest known tree may still be kicking down there.

If you haven't tried them, and you like tart fresh eating (out of hand) apples, you don't know what you're missing. They're like a Granny Smith on steroids.
    I'm not sure of the type of apples yet, but I do have 4 very old apple trees here, guessing they are about 100 years old. 1 died last year and the other 3 haven't had fruit yet because the gypsy moth caterpillar has set them back by eating all the leaves for the past 2 years. I'm hoping this year they will produce, there are a lot if fat buds, so I'm hopeful.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I'm not sure of the type of apples yet, but I do have 4 very old apple trees here, guessing they are about 100 years old. 1 died last year and the other 3 haven't had fruit yet because the gypsy moth caterpillar has set them back by eating all the leaves for the past 2 years. I'm hoping this year they will produce, there are a lot if fat buds, so I'm hopeful.
    I guess they're known for lasting incredibly long (the trees). Do a little research on them. It seems if you have a tree that sports fruit, some consider it a gold mine.

1 Not allowed!

ya never know, the trees may retaliate the gypsy moth attach by coming back with prolific fruiting. My tree was eaten by my neighbor's goat, the next 2-3years were the most prolific apples I ever had...… then the tent caterpillars found the tree

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I need to have my apple trees pruned, I don't have the time or expertize to do it correctly. I can handle the brush removal . Anyone know of a company near the lakes region that does this work? Had a tree guy who took down a lg. Sugar maple for me look at them and he past on the apple trees. so it must be a specialty?

0 Not allowed!

Whereabouts in the Lakes Region?

0 Not allowed!

Wolfeboro

0 Not allowed!

Itís costly, but works very well. Safe for bees, people, pets, etc
    The web link doesnít work and they are out of stock anyway, but that refined Kaolin Clay seems to be a great approach!

The Kaolin Clay Strategy for Orchards by Michael Phillips

I ordered it from a place in VA, 25lb bag was $61 shipped.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast