Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I need a fun summer car

Lifer

Re: I need a fun summer car

That’s a rad car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Left this guy a message and an email

1986 BMW 635CSI - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Make a nice cruiser.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Stay on topic!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Why people are asking more for Z3 than Z4s?
    And the Miata sellers are drunk lol. Rotted, with trash paint, leaking roofs 1999 models asking $4000-5599 lol
    - - - Updated - - -

Lol!!!

0 Not allowed!

This would be worth splurging on

1962 Oldsmobile Starfire - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

0 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Seems overpriced

1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

0 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Lifer

2012 Audi s5 with 71k.

What’s the deal with Audi. Do they really have electrical demons? Or no more than Chrysler. Are they reliable?

0 Not allowed!

I'm on the verge of unloading my two Mk4 Golf TDIs; I've got a decent daily Mk6 TDI so I'm looking at getting something fun for the summer. Figured best time to buy would be around now before people have to store vehicles.

I've had automotive ADD thinking about this. I'm looking for $5-6,000 or less.

Anything from late C4 Corvette (LT1), Maserati Biturbo, Jag XJS or XK8 (coupe), Mercedes SL R129 to Mk2 Supra P Type, Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest, AWD Eclipse/Talon, first gen MR2.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Insults?
    What did you get?

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    2012 Audi s5 with 71k.

Whatís the deal with Audi. Do they really have electrical demons? Or no more than Chrysler. Are they reliable?
    That is a loaded question, with answer largely dependent on your personal expectations.

You're buying a used German performance car and everything that comes with that.

The car when new was an amazing luxury + performance car and hence why it was worth the money.

Once used the both of those, typically speaking fall apart and will take a decent money to bring back. "Stage 0" as many communities call it. It takes a decent amount of money just to bring a used car back to good base. Misc mile interval fixes (timing chain etc), creaking suspension, broken stuff.

Do you want it to drive like new or are you happy with misc bushing/suspension components being "worn in" and it feeling a bit more sloppy? If you want it to behave like new, it will cost a bit for a full suspension kit + labor. , if you're happy with it as is, then obviously no cost other than specific things that will need replacing.

Are you doing service yourself or paying somebody else to do it?

Simple service jobs on Audi's can kill you in labor because you need to take the whole front end apart to reach anything. If you're doing it yourself, no big deal, if you're paying somebody $75 an hour to take it apart, it adds up.

Does a $500 repair bill scare or you or are you okay with it?

Having Chrysler as your baseline comparison isn't really a high par to beat.

It's hard to recommend a used performance Audi to anybody without knowing more info about that person, including their repair cost expectations and whether they will be doing work themselves.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

what about mercedes. When did the over engineered tanks stop. There’s an opinion that it’s around 1996. But I’ve also heard their 4matics are trash, which coincides with me reading that MB tried unsuccessfully to buy Subaru’s design.

I love the old coupes and sl models, and have just created the theory in my mind that an sl320 should be a safe bet because it’s “only” a v6.

What about jaguars. Are the inline six models respectable and it’s only when you get into the v12 that it’s a nightmare? Is it the ford ownership that you should shy away from?

0 Not allowed!

what about mercedes. When did the over engineered tanks stop. Thereís an opinion that itís around 1996. But Iíve also heard their 4matics are trash, which coincides with me reading that MB tried unsuccessfully to buy Subaruís design.

I love the old coupes and sl models, and have just created the theory in my mind that an sl320 should be a safe bet because itís ďonlyĒ a v6.

What about jaguars. Are the inline six models respectable and itís only when you get into the v12 that itís a nightmare? Is it the ford ownership that you should shy away from?
    Part of the "1996" thinking is that anything past 1996 has a lot more codes and sensors that the car has to comply with to pass inspections and it's not shy about telling you that something is wrong.

OBD1 or prior cars will seem a lot less problematic to owners because there just aren't as many sensors to tell the owners that things are wrong with their car. Ignorance is bliss if you will (granted many systems simply don't exist to begin with IE EVAP)

No opinion on Benz other than I wouldn't mind owning an old(er) one but likely never will. Many of these cars are great in rose colored lenses theory of ownership and cruising them on a nice summer day when the reality of annoying rattles, misc repair list and possibly dread of misc body work is much less charismatic. Most of this is coming from personal experience.

I've gotten to the point where I'm happy with one modern(ish) DD car that pretends to be sporty, has plenty of utility for my needs, longevity in chassis and motor and I'll deal with expected misc problems as they come along. Volvo XC70.

For fun I keep it simple with pre-obd2 cars if possible with as few features as possible (can't break if it doesn't exist) (Miata, CRX's, E30's etc) and bikes.

Trying to keep a used luxury performance car upto my standard of what I'd consider "nice" isn't something I'd do again. Granted most of my experience has been with even cheaper and higher mileage cars so take my advice with a grain of salt. Spending $20,000 + on something used I'm sure the cars you get are in much better condition overall.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    What did you get?

2 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Worth noting I blew the budget though

2 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Let me know if you have questions. I had one for a few years and did most of the work myself.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Let me know if you have questions. I had one for a few years and did most of the work myself.
    Mine is just a 99 C2 with a manual and few options.
    How are they from a DIY standpoint? Seems lots and lots of articles on various tasks exist out there on pelicanparts and similar

0 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Mine is just a 99 C2 with a manual and few options.
    How are they from a DIY standpoint? Seems lots and lots of articles on various tasks exist out there on pelicanparts and similar

Obviously access to the motor is a pain for the bigger jobs, but the smaller stuff is easy. Pelican forums are okay, Rennlist forums are better IMHO. Parts prices are really pretty reasonable all things considered.

0 Not allowed!

what about mercedes. When did the over engineered tanks stop. Thereís an opinion that itís around 1996. But Iíve also heard their 4matics are trash, which coincides with me reading that MB tried unsuccessfully to buy Subaruís design.
    I donít believe that for one second.

Because 1.most of Subaruís AWD systems are very simple/rudimentary and B. the 4mstic drive system is extremely capable. I rode in a Mercedes 500 for part of a TON Winter Driving School, and it was every bit or more capable than the VTD drive system in our Subaru 3.0R.

The 4 cyl Automatic Subarus have a simple viscous coupling: they just work better than the pure crap in cute Utes like the CR-V or RAV4. Manual shift 4 naturally aspirated 4 cylinder Subarus have a simple clutch pack, as does the WRX.

The VTD drive system was a robust full-time AWD system, with a center planetary differential and 45/55 torque distribution. The STI adds Automatic or driver control to that system, plus mechanical front and rear differentials.

There were or are any number more sophisticated systems. But the US market demands luxury over performance, so you have situations like Acura, who put a planetary center differential in AWD RLís, then went to a simpler and less capable system in their SUVís. The CR-Vís system is so bad they got sued, the RAV4 system and some others shut off at 25-35 mph, etc.

Grand Cherokees have some extremely capable AWD systems. But they weigh 1,000 lbs more than an Outback 3.6R with the same size engine, so pretty pokey. I still canít find a detailed technical explanation of the system in our Tahoe with high/low transfer case: as far as I can tell the 1/2 ton GM system cannot lock the center differential.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Noice. IMSectomy done?

0 Not allowed!

No. Local Porsche indy said the 99s are unaffected I need a fun summer car
    Something about a bigger bearing?
    He did a PPI on it and gave me a short list of problems. Nothing really too horrific.
    Shift cables, engine/trans mounts, couple suspension bits starting to wear.

But I intend on keeping this for a while. Something about TESLA @ $560/share and NA 996s being worth 70k

0 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

No. Local Porsche indy said the 99s are unaffected I need a fun summer car
    Something about a bigger bearing?
    He did a PPI on it and gave me a short list of problems. Nothing really too horrific.
    Shift cables, engine/trans mounts, couple suspension bits starting to wear.

But I intend on keeping this for a while. Something about TESLA @ $560/share and NA 996s being worth 70k

I think the IMS issue is grossly exaggerated, but to say the 99s aren't affected isn't really true. They have a larger, single-row bearing compared to the later years that used a smaller, double-row bearing. But 99s have failed nonetheless, though I don't know how the failure rate compares to other cars.

1 Not allowed!

Relevant 996 review

YouTube

0 Not allowed!

pee car pics?

0 Not allowed!

They rebuilt one on Wheeler Dealers. The replacement kit they used was quite slick.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Relevant 996 review

YouTube
    My new years resolution is to avoid Doug DeMuro. Seems that went out the winda.

Along with my budget

0 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    pee car pics?
    Needs some cosmetics. Front bumper and engine cover repainted. Some interior bits replaced/repaired. Couple dings on the passenger side that hopefully can be PDR'd. Has some dumb 90s Germany body kit on it. Don't want to mess with that yet.

Wheels are trash.

But it was the cheapest. And it's not a cabriolet nor a Tiptronic.

1 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Edit: before I jump to conclusions....

I don't get what a naturally aspirated Porsche has to do with Tesla's stock price? Are you sure you don't mean 993's being worth 70k?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-28-19 at 07:31 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

My new years resolution is to avoid Doug DeMuro. Seems that went out the winda.
    I mean I don't particularly find him charismatic or anything but he does do interesting reviews of cars I'd never see or found out misc tid bits about otherwise. Means to an end if you will.

0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast