Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Garage Heat Suggestions

Garage Heat Suggestions

Question for the masses.

I've got a large 1 car garage on the house Im renting. think its probably 14' x 24'.

Currently have a home gym in one side of it and like to do projects in the other half. Set all that up in the summer but now its getting mighty cold out there. Was wondering what my best option for getting some form of there is?

Only have 110V accessible out there, (not my house) its not insulated, does have good seals around the garage door so its not drafty

Electric sounds easiest but I also don't want to wait 2 hours for it to warm up enough to work out.

Propane heaters sound effective but dangerous, sketched out about using them indoors.

any recommendations?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Re: Garage Heat Suggestions

Without being able to install a proper heating system out there since you don't own it, you don't have much for options. Space heater will take forever to heat the place up, but it will take the chill out of the air somewhat.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I use this https://www.newair.com/products/5000-watt-g73
    You need to run a dedicated 30amp circuit to it. Heats my currant 10x18 space just fine and I used it to heat a 20 x 24 space before took more then the chill out. only draw back is that It will make your electric meter spin faster! I connected it with a dyer cord and outlet to make it portable.

Last edited by MUZ720; 12-20-19 at 01:44 PM.

Get a Big Buddy. Scroll towards the bottom where Amazon bundles things and get the Buddy + bulk cylinder hose + AC adapter. You'll want to connect it to a 20 lb cylinder or you'll be running the little green bottles. The AC adapter is for the on board fan (yes, fan) to run off a wall outlet rather than I think 3 or 4 C or D batteries.

I've had one of these for about 10 years, it is excellent. The one I linked will do up to 450 sq ft, and can run at 18k, 9k, or 4.5k BTU's.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I run a 125k btu kerosene heater in my garage. Heats 25x25 from 30f to 75 in about 15 minutes. No complaints other than noise when it’s running. Built in thermostat so I usually turn it on set at 80 and go in the house until I hear it shut off. I’ll post a link in a minute.

This one but 12 yrs ago it was 125k
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4BKKVD..._V4u.DbRNTZEP3

Last edited by jimmycapp; 12-20-19 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I run a 125k btu kerosene heater in my garage. Heats 25x25 from 30f to 75 in about 15 minutes. No complaints other than noise when it’s running. Built in thermostat so I usually turn it on set at 80 and go in the house until I hear it shut off. I’ll post a link in a minute.

This one but 12 yrs ago it was 125k
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4BKKVD..._V4u.DbRNTZEP3
    that is what I recommend for getting it up to temperature, once up to temp, you may be able to maintain temp with something smaller, even a Coleman mantle lantern, puts out a surprising amount of heat along with the light.

I do however, recommend using a CO detector as well, if the canary don't die, yer all set

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    that is what I recommend for getting it up to temperature, once up to temp, you may be able to maintain temp with something smaller, even a Coleman mantle lantern, puts out a surprising amount of heat along with the light.

I do however, recommend using a CO detector as well, if the canary don't die, yer all set
    100% agree. I have a co in my garage now. I havenít had any issues in 3 different garages so far, but itís easy enough to monitor.

1500w Quartz radiant space heater, aimed at you. Keep it close by and you won't need to wait for the whole space to warm up.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

I have a pretty good size 2 car garage that is not insulated. I use a propane torpedo heater, combined with a CO2 monitor. Garage is so drafty CO2 has not been an issue but I would not suggest running one inside without it.

When I lived on a boat I used an indoor safe propane fired heater with an adapter to run it off of a grill tank rather than burning up the small expensive ones. Something like this:
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Mr-H...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

For a bigger space like a garage I'd go to the big brother... https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...RoCaV4QAvD_BwE

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

my buddy uses a heater for a mobile home, its propane powered but since its designed to heat a whole house, it keeps his garage pretty comfortable and can put on a thermostat so it doesnt sweat you out either. he said he found it for short money on CL. they are usually about the size of locker.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    The AC adapter is for the on board fan (yes, fan) to run off a wall outlet rather than I think 3 or 4 C or D batteries.
    Fun fact. I fell down a rat-hole looking at these and discovered that they no longer come with this fan. Something about an import tariff change.

MH18B Big Buddy: Due to recent governmental changes to import tariffs, Mr. Heater has removed the fan on some models of the Mr. Heater Big Buddy (MH18B). We apologize for the inconvenience and confusion this has caused some customers.
    Also cannot be sold in MA.