Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the whole getin g mugged in paris story

watch out, it's LONG:

ok, 18 tiny ninjas jumped out of nowhere all of a sudden.. no, wait,

I was walking back from my friend's hotel to mine (about a block and a half, reasonably well lit area), it was probably around 1:30 AM. As I passed a dark area around the base of a bridge (not a sketchy littly bridge or anything, just in the shadow of a big bridge) a tall white guy passed me and asked for a cigarette. I slowed down and said I didn't have any, and whenb I turned back to continue on my way a black guy about my height was right in front of me. He put his hands out and stopped me, and started tapping my pockets and saying "money" which appears to be the only english he knew. I pulled away a couple times but he kept grabbing my arm and pulling me back. Finally he found my wallet in my right ass pocket and started trying to get it out. It's hard to get out, and he started to get pretty pisswed off, so I pulled it out (not wanting to get the shit kicked out of me) and tried to give him the cash (about $200 in various currencys) and keep the wallet, but he yanked that out of my hand too. Then tyhe 2 of them took off towards the nearest metro stop, and I tyook off for my hotel, which was about 150 feet away. When I got there, I found out that the regular night guy was out and there was a fill-in guy who spoke no english, wouldn't let me use the phone, and wouldn't let me into my room (the key was in my wallet). Needless to say, I was a bit distraught. I jogged back to my friends hotel (right past where I just got mugged) and fortunately the night man there spoke english and was very helpful, he called my hotel and got the guy to let me in and unlock my room, etc. I borrowed some cash from my friend and took a cab back to the hotel, at which time I smoked like a half a pack of cigarettes and went to bed. Worthy of note is the fact that the french police were basically closed for the night so they didn't help me at all (in the us I firmly believe that the cops would have at least come and given me a ride to my hotel and made sure I was alright and everything, I mean I hate traffic cops, but it's nice to know they're gonna be there if you need them).

So that's the long exhaustive story of how I got mugged in paris, and why I france, except for like a total of 3 nice people we met. The thing that sucks is that there really wasn't much I could have done to prevent it, I mean, If I had brought my friend back to the hotel he would have had to walk home alone, if I had taken the metro, I got mugged between the nearest stop and my hotel anyway, I could have taken a cab but they're expensive and you have to call ahead most of the time... I could have been carrying a gun, but that would have been tough since I came and went through london.

-Matt K

0 Not allowed!
    "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

That's real shit luck, but at least your still in one piece. Next time carry a roll of quarters and when your walking keep it in your hand. Someone tried to pull the same thing on me in a parking garage in New Haven, Ct. My hand was holding onto the roll of quarters and I hammered the guy in the jaw. It's amazing how litle your fist compresses with the roll in hand. Hurts like a fuck too.

And fuck the French, frog eating motherfuckers.

0 Not allowed!
    John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

Guilt a USELESS emotion SEVENSGT's Avatar

Originally posted by need4speed

And fuck the French, frog eating motherfuckers.
    I told you the French Suck!!!! Fuckin rude stinky fuckers

0 Not allowed!

You should have just kicked him in the balls then kicked the shit outta him as he doubled over.... fucking French pussies... soon as he started touching you ya should have let him have it... personally I'd risk getting a beaten before letting someone take something from me... but that's me.. I have no problems with fighting.... because of the traveling you were doing I understand not being able to carry a gun but what about a small Mace canister? Maybe that's something you can have with you next time around.... well at least you're in one piece and it wasn't a whole lot of money... if you do alot of traveling like that there are plenty of quick self defense courses you could look into or if you're not into that defineatley check out the legalities of the Mace or pepper spray options.. just make sure you point it in the right direction and be aware of the wind direction when using it....good luck

0 Not allowed!

I thought about mace or something like that, but you have to declarte it and shit to take it on a plane, and I didn't want the hassle. As far as legality in that country, who gives a fuck? I'm not gonna hang around and wait for the cops, if I had mace I would have maced the fuckers, kicked 'em a couple times while they were down and gotten the hell out of dodge... oh well.

As far as fighting goes, I wasn't really eagre to spend the rest of my vacation in a french hospital while my parents tried to figure out how to wire money to me to pay for it, then the hassle with the health insurance company when I go home, etc. etc. If it was here in the US I would have been a bit more assertive, I think.

0 Not allowed!
    "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

you're also a much bigger guy than me, I'mm not particularly intimidating, being all of 5'8 160lbs.

0 Not allowed!

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

It Ain't the Size of the Dog in the Fight...

...it's the size of the fight in the dog! Lookit Stonner - he's a runty git, and he's still a heck of a scrapper! I could see him confronting those Frogs "I may get my ass kicked, but somebody'a leaving here with a limp or missing an ear, I can guarantee you that!"

0 Not allowed!

Re: It Ain't the Size of the Dog in the Fight...

Originally posted by Blade
    ...it's the size of the fight in the dog! Lookit Stonner - he's a runty git, and he's still a heck of a scrapper! I could see him confronting those Frogs "I may get my ass kicked, but somebody'a leaving here with a limp or missing an ear, I can guarantee you that!"
    Stoner kick his ass! He fuckin' called you a runty git! Aw fuckit, just toss some dead carcass in the road, he'll hit it.

0 Not allowed!
    -Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

"I brap with a clear conscience." - nhbubba

I'd Hit It!

MUCH less chance of being maced when it's a dead animal... I'm just trying to get Jay's attention. If he is going to Penguin, he's gonna need leathers, and I have 2 sets I'm not using, and he and I are about the same "runty git" size.
    Actually, I have Derek to thank for the "runty git" term. It's an Irish thing, I guess...

0 Not allowed!

Re: I'd Hit It!

Originally posted by Blade
    MUCH less chance of being maced when it's a dead animal... I'm just trying to get Jay's attention. If he is going to Penguin, he's gonna need leathers, and I have 2 sets I'm not using, and he and I are about the same "runty git" size.
    Actually, I have Derek to thank for the "runty git" term. It's an Irish thing, I guess...
    HAHAHA! I think Jay got a full suit already? ....Jay? SPEAK UP BEATCH!!!!!!!

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by MattK you're also a much bigger guy than me, I'mm not particularly intimidating, being all of 5'8 160lbs
    Matt, just remember that dynamite comes in a small package too.

0 Not allowed!
    John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

here's the thing lovecat, and I don't mean to sound like an ass here. Seeing as I don't live in france, I've only been exposed to the french people I met on my trip in paris. And as far as that goes, only one (yes, exactly ONE) of them was at all nice to me. And no, I didn't go in like an asshole, it just seemed that the english people in london, for example, were just of a more pleasent demeanor. Now, I know this doesn't make all french people assholes, but it does make me, on the whole, more of a fan of brits than french, so I'm gonnna more wary of french people than of british, untill they give me a good reason to do otherwise. Purely based on my own experiences. You see where I'm coming from? Of course this doesn't mean that all french people suck. It just means if they're gonna be uncool toward me, I'm just gonna be uncool back, because since I absolutely never plan on going there again, I really don't care if they like me or not. And don't tell me that just 'cause I don't speak french that gives them the right to be asses to me, that's not the way it is in any other non-english speaking country I've been to , and I don't believe that's the way it is here (at least it's not the way I am)

One final point, which I feel is worth mentioning here: I know a LOT of americans/canadians/whatever who are of french descent, and I DO NOT consider them to be in the same category as living-in-paris style french people. I have a lot of french american and french canadian friends, and I don't dislike them, because they aren't mean to me.

I dunno, nowhere I've ever been have people been so decidedly unhelpful/uncool toward me.

0 Not allowed!

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

And dammit need4speed. who said anything about a small package? I just said I'm not very tall...

0 Not allowed!

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Matt,

Nobody said you were small, I said that dynamite comes in a small package. Hell I'm 5'8" and 175 lbs and have kicked the crap out of guys bigger than me.

0 Not allowed!
    John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

I agree with the others.. alot of it is in your attitude and how you carry yourself.. not necessarily how big you are.. although that doesn't hurt.... as far as the mace goes do you have to declare it if it's in your bags? (I have never flown outta this country) I'm sure there is some way to get it in and out.. or if not how much of a hassel is it to just declare it? Worst come to worse you'd only lose it right? What's 10-20 bucks for one can if it gets taken oh well at least ya tried.. but either way the important thing is you didn't get hurt or in the hospital as you said.. but I know if would TOTALLY piss me off then to have the idiot at the door not want to let you in! That'd piss me off just as much I think..

0 Not allowed!

I'm 6'5" and about 250lbs, but I'm a fuckin' pussy! I'm an asshole too, so it's a wonder I don't get my ass beat down more often.

Big sacks of shit come in big packages!

Now 'scuse me while I mix another jack n' coke.......

0 Not allowed!

need4speed: it's a joke, you know?
    you said good things come in small packages, I said I don't have a small "package" see? funny! Maybe it's just that I have the general maturity level of a 4 year old. oh well

0 Not allowed!

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

I Dance With Will

<One final point, which I feel is worth mentioning here: I know a LOT of americans/canadians/whatever who are of french descent, and I DO NOT consider them to be in the same category as living-in-paris style french people.>

you mean HARDCORE?

<I dunno, nowhere I've ever been have people been so decidedly unhelpful/uncool toward me. >

goto to Thailand. less bad apple there.

0 Not allowed!
    "fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

wtf.. the quote got screwed up.

no message

0 Not allowed!
    "fuckit!"

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

FWIW... big tourist / financial centers in MOST countries seem to have more than their share of assholes. glad you liked Londoners, Matt... but they were-- as a rule-- my least favorite of the Brits I got to know while I lived there. Paris seems to have a pretty high prick-to-human ratio, too... but I met some pretty cool folk in the NW and along the Normandie coast. couldn't stand a lot of the Germans I met in Frankfurt... elsewhere, I found 'em to be great.

just imagine what a visitor's impression of us Yanks would be if their only contact was being dropped into NYC...

note: these are just general rules I've found; don't bother flaming me if your girlfriend's from London, your cousin is from Frankfurt, etc... I've known a few cool folk from all of these places. they just seem to be in a minority...

0 Not allowed!
    WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Matt, just remember that dynamite comes in a small package too.
    And dammit need4speed. who said anything about a small package? I just said I'm not very tall...
    Now THAT was funny!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

Unhappy Now That Hurts My Feelings...

As a Parisian, LoveCat, I take great umbrage at your comments. You need to be more sensitive to the plights of the people from the City of Lights.
    Satire - not to be taken seriously. Merely an attempt to have someone hoist by their own petard.
    In the common vernacular - lighten up, Francis!

0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: I'd Hit It!

Originally posted by JC
    HAHAHA! I think Jay got a full suit already? ....Jay? SPEAK UP BEATCH!!!!!!!
    Okay, okay! First...YES, I have a full suit for racing...

Secondly...you're right Capt'n. I woulda gone down swinging. But that's me. I've got a general attitude of "..I'm not getting taken without hurting the fucker..." I'm not afraid of pain, and I've had enough brushes with death to not be afraid of it anymore...

But to each their own, and each will handle shit differently. I'm glad you're relitively okay, Matt. Things coulda been much worse...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

a fuckin bell goes off

2 the death its like riding you aint got time 2 think . after you have time 2 think you might say i could have got killed you ever see a wind mill in a noreaster

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by beet; 12-04-02 at 02:53 PM.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I need leathers

0 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast