Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Getting WiFi into a metal building

Getting WiFi into a metal building

We're trying to figure out how to get a good WiFi signal into an all steel sided and roofed building. If we leave the garage door or the man door open we can get WiFi in there, as soon as you shut the door you lose it all. The location in the house where the modem/router is located is about 80' from the metal building. We tried the WiFi extender that we had in another building and it wasn't able to even pick up the signal from the router. Any idea's on what route to take here? I'd rather no go trenching and running cables underground. Can we attach something to the outside of the metal building and run an Ethernet cable into the building? Thanks for any advice.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Re: Getting WiFi into a metal building

Also interested.

0 Not allowed!

Google cantenna! Might work for you.

0 Not allowed!

My situation is opposite, my router is inside my barn, no way to place router where it doesn't go through the metal roof, or 20 feet of earth berm, I was going to pull a ethernet cable thru a conduit I have, but decided it would be easier to get a direct bury cable and just hardwire another wi-fi router in the house

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07B3ZR6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Can we attach something to the outside of the metal building and run an Ethernet cable into the building?
    My guess would be that this would be the route you would need to take. Possibly build a weather tight wooden enclosure outside the steel faraday cage you are trying to get signal into and then run it inside with cable to another wifi distribution device

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Run two line of sight dishes. Ubiquiti makes good ones. Mount one on your house, the other on the building. Drill hole for CAT5 into the building where you can put a regular access point.

LoS dishes are like running a cable.

Weather proof and POE powered through the network cable. I’ve had one on my roof for years shooting internet to my neighbor 1/4 mile away through trees.

If you live in a densely populated area, go with the 5ghz model.

4 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 11-20-19 at 09:31 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Ubiquiti makes good ones.
    I use a bunch of Ubiquiti equipment in my house and love it all.

The cheapest way out for a solid Ubiquiti based point-to-point link would be a pair of NanoStation AC Locos. They can be had for under $50 each and they are about the size of a large hand. The Loco model doesn't come with a power injector but it can be bought separately for a nominal amount.

Mount one unit on your house and another on your garage. Run an ethernet cable through the exterior wall and use an access point of your choice inside the building.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NN1J4K..._t3_B06Y2JH7PV

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting WiFi into a metal building-nanostation_ac_loco-jpg  

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 11-21-19 at 09:00 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Run two line of sight dishes. Ubiquiti makes good ones. Mount one on your house, the other on the building. Drill hole for CAT5 into the building where you can put a regular access point.

LoS dishes are like running a cable.

Weather proof and POE powered through the network cable. I’ve had one on my roof for years shooting internet to my neighbor 1/4 mile away through trees.

If you live in a densely populated area, go with the 5ghz model.
    This is the sort of info I'm here for!

0 Not allowed!

Would a “WiFi net” work?

I use Google WiFi. The 3 pack. It was inexpensive and I have great coverage throughout my house/garage/outbuildings.

Not sure if it would work on a metal building though.

0 Not allowed!
    Me no likey crash

Quote Originally Posted by Charlief View Post
    Would a “WiFi net” work?

I use Google WiFi. The 3 pack. It was inexpensive and I have great coverage throughout my house/garage/outbuildings.

Not sure if it would work on a metal building though.
    That would be a good way for him to keep the same network in the building as in his house, but getting the connectivity TO the building is the issue.

So yes, use a Google WiFi two pack for access points in both the house and the metal building, and the LoS units to connect the two.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

We’re switching our NH house to wireless. Got an Ellipsis Jetpack hub from Verizon for $30 plus $20 per month for 15 GBPs service. Its the size of a bar of soap so could be used as a vehicle hotspot as well.

Only problem was our Arlo security hub requires an Ethernet connection. So we purchased an inexpensive range extender that comes with an Ethernet jack.

Although we are 1.6 miles line of sight to the cell tower on Sunapee, we don’t always get full bars. So ordered a relatively inexpensive ($150) directional antenna booster to see if that helps. WeBoost seems to be best reviewed but didn’t want to spend $400 if the less expensive one will do the trick.

0 Not allowed!

We can get cell service and Wi-Fi perfectly outside the building, the second you go inside and shut the doors you lose it all. Cell is so bad you can't even get a text and a cellphone won't even find the Wi-Fi signal while searching. I think the plan is a wireless access point attached to the building then we'll run an Ethernet cable inside to a router. We're waiting on propane to be hooked up to get heat in there so the Wi-Fi hasn't been a huge priority right now.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff