Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

GMAT Exam any tips?

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: GMAT Exam any tips?

Are there any free GMAT practice tests out there anywhere that are realistic in their scoring? Not some watered down "See how you would do on the GMAT" website.

I'm curious how I would do on something like this walking in cold. Not that I would ever consider attempting to get an MBA, more out of curiosity about this test and what it tries to measure.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Are there any free GMAT practice tests out there anywhere that are realistic in their scoring? Not some watered down "See how you would do on the GMAT" website.
    One of the things to note is that the GMAT is delivered on a computer and it is question-adaptive. Meaning that the questions rise and fall with difficulty depending on if you're getting them right or not.

The test is constantly trying to figure out how smart you are by figuring out what difficulty questions you can get consistently right. Even the very best scorers (in the 99th percentile) can get around half their questions wrong and still get a great score, because they're getting only the very hard ones wrong. If anything, the test measures your own decision-making ability of what to skip (well, guess) and what to try and work out.

The test has changed since Imbeek took it; you cannot skip backwards or forwards. So you can no longer do the easy questions and circle back to the hard ones, because once you've answered, it's permanent.

I would try a practice test either from GMAC (the people who administer the test) or one of the big prep shops (Manhattan Prep, Kaplan, Magoosh etc). Being question-adaptive, the test questions will rise and fall depending on how you did on the previous question, so the watered-down sites are useless.

Last edited by number9; 12-22-17 at 11:05 AM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I would argue strongly in favor of a more specialized or dual degree. Something involving data analytics from a good school (not a top school but not some on your list) will have more value than a general MBA.

Look for AACSB accreditation, but also look at the real world experience of the faculty actually teaching the courses.

Sit in on a few classes and evaluate not just the professor, but the peer group of students. You want to be in a place where you are surrounded by people who can make you smarter.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-22-17 at 04:59 PM.

Is it forbidden to ask about career or business paths that make a lot of money with the least amount of school/debt? LOL

Maybe I will make a new thread or check Reddit because I am sure this has already been discussed

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Is it forbidden to ask about career or business paths that make a lot of money with the least amount of school/debt? LOL

Maybe I will make a new thread or check Reddit because I am sure this has already been discussed
    If he's chasing an MBA, he's already there. It's not like he's contemplating J-school...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I would argue strongly in favor of a more specialized or dual degree. Something involving data analytics from a good school (not a top school but not some on your list) will have more value than a general MBA.

Look for AACSB accreditation, but also look at the real world experience of the faculty actually teaching the courses.

Sit in on a few classes and evaluate not just the professor, but the peer group of students. You want to be in a place where you are surrounded by people who can make you smarter.
    I’ll be honest with you. I attended 3 colleges in the USA (Quinsigamond, Worcester State and Nichols).
    I consider 95% of my time there a complete waste. Other than getting a piece of paper that most of the jobs I want consider required I learned very little. Most of the professors (exceptions did exist) were expired business professionals. Almost all the books are insanely outdated (how can they not be with how quickly technology changes).
    I can confidently say that I learned a ton more 1 month at ATT and 1 month at Oracle than in 4 years (took me 5.5) in college.
    That may very likely be due to the schools I attended. But I personally don’t see the value in it. Real hands on experienced cannot be replaced by textbooks (in the business world at least).
    I am going to treat the MBA just like that. Another checkbox to climb up, make money and maybe one day teach.
    I honestly don’t have the time not energy to go take courses and test the waters. For majority that may be the way to go (and I won’t argue, it is probably the best way to go). But I’m my case... not sure.
    I have a full time corporate career, I have my own personal businesses, my family and some more school.. there’s only so much I can allocate to each before I start failing in all of them, and right now I am not willing to let that happen.

All that being said, I really appreciate your (and everyone’s) advice.

I went to a community college with a 3 year program with another 4 year school. I took a 5.5 year break and I spent 5.5 (well 6 if you count summers) in school for a undergraduate degree. $0 in debt. Also helps a ton when your job is paying majority of your school too. Not sure if I would have went back without that.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I’ll be honest with you. I attended 3 colleges in the USA (Quinsigamond, Worcester State and Nichols).
    I consider 95% of my time there a complete waste. Other than getting a piece of paper that most of the jobs I want consider required I learned very little. Most of the professors (exceptions did exist) were expired business professionals. Almost all the books are insanely outdated (how can they not be with how quickly technology changes).
    I can confidently say that I learned a ton more 1 month at ATT and 1 month at Oracle than in 4 years (took me 5.5) in college.
    That may very likely be due to the schools I attended. But I personally don’t see the value in it. Real hands on experienced cannot be replaced by textbooks (in the business world at least).
    I am going to treat the MBA just like that. Another checkbox to climb up, make money and maybe one day teach.
    I honestly don’t have the time not energy to go take courses and test the waters. For majority that may be the way to go (and I won’t argue, it is probably the best way to go). But I’m my case... not sure.
    I have a full time corporate career, I have my own personal businesses, my family and some more school.. there’s only so much I can allocate to each before I start failing in all of them, and right now I am not willing to let that happen.

You get out of it what you put into it. I would not take your 3 school sample as a good representation. But when you've graduated, please be honest with future employers by telling them how much money you spent to check a box with a meaningless degree that taught you less than a month selling cellphones.

See your problem is that your counter is diminishing the work. It’s not selling cellphones and I won’t get into it with you.
    These 3 schools are what worked for me. But having awesome leaders I learned so much more efficient and accurate lesson on business communication, accounting, negotiating, organizing (im sure you get the message) by what the schools provided me with.
    Also do you mean you get what you put in as far as money? Because in regards to effort I completed my studies with a 3.7 GPA, that took some effort at least.

I literally just noticed it’s you Steve that I’m discussing with. Ignore everything I said. You are impossible to discuss with lol

I know you can get to journeyman sprinkler fitter in about 4 years and be making over a hundo before OT.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Are any of the online programs worth it?
    Seems they are a lot more popular outside Northeast. I see many from universities in Texas, Carolinas and Michigan.

See your problem is that your counter is diminishing the work. It’s not selling cellphones and I won’t get into it with you.
    These 3 schools are what worked for me. But having awesome leaders I learned so much more efficient and accurate lesson on business communication, accounting, negotiating, organizing (im sure you get the message) by what the schools provided me with.
    Also do you mean you get what you put in as far as money? Because in regards to effort I completed my studies with a 3.7 GPA, that took some effort at least.
    Grades are only one measure and since your professors had so little to teach you, it's not surprising you got good grades.

All I'm saying is that if you pursue a generic MBA from a lower quartile school you will likely have the same experience but it will cost more money.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Grades are only one measure and since your professors had so little to teach you, it's not surprising you got good grades.

All I'm saying is that if you pursue a generic MBA from a lower quartile school you will likely have the same experience but it will cost more money.
    I think that’s a fair assumption by all means. No argument there.

Tech sales is a good place to start.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

xxaarraa

Dude Sav, like I said before, MBA (most advanced degrees for that matter) is a business. Just the fact that you are talking about what you learned in school tells me that you just don't get it.

It doesn't matter what you actually learn in school. Big companies with big jobs (even small companies that have high paying jobs) aren't going to Worcester state to recruit. They are going to Ivys/similar caliber schools. The better the school, the better the job market you are able to access. And one job leads to another. So 5 years after graduating from HBS, your career is going to be exponentially better than 5 years after Worcester polytechnic. Its not about what you learn man, its about what markets you are able to access, and what your starting salaries are in that market. If you are going to be a prostitute, you are better off working for the best pimp in town than some low level guy at the street corner. Simple business.

There is an argument to be made for peer set also. My boss's son went to Harvard. His girlfriend was the heiress of the Kenneth Cole fortune, his basketball buddy was the son of the former chairman of Staples, he regularly went drinking with foreign princes etc. You get the idea. By getting into that school, he opened himself to a network you are just not going to get at Worcester. And again, better the school better the network.

P.S: Before some NESR tough guy pops up and throws shade at me and says he is making millions with no college education, know that everything I said applies to the majority. There are always going to be exceptions and geniuses that don't need any of this to attain glory. What I said is the most probable way to financial success for most people.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-22-17 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Dude Sav, like I said before, MBA (most advanced degrees for that matter) is a business. Just the fact that you are talking about what you learned in school tells me that you just don't get it.

It doesn't matter what you actually learn in school. Big companies with big jobs (even small companies that have high paying jobs) aren't going to Worcester state to recruit. They are going to Ivys/similar caliber schools. The better the school, the better the job market you are able to access. And one job leads to another. So 5 years after graduating from HBS, your career is going to be exponentially better than 5 years after Worcester polytechnic. Its not about what you learn man, its about what markets you are able to access, and what your starting salaries are in that market. If you are going to be a prostitute, you are better off working for the best pimp in town than some low level guy at the street corner. Simple business.

There is an argument to be made for peer set also. My boss's son went to Harvard. His girlfriend was the heiress of the Kenneth Cole fortune, his basketball buddy was the son of the former chairman of Staples, he regularly went drinking with foreign princes etc. You get the idea. By getting into that school, he opened himself to a network you are just not going to get at Worcester. And again, better the school better the network.

P.S: Before some NESR tough guy pops up and throws shade at me and says he is making millions with no college education, know that everything I said applies to the majority. There are always going to be exceptions and geniuses that don't need any of this to attain glory. What I said is the most probable way to financial success for most people.
    All true.

1 typo, Worcester state and Worcester polytechnic are worlds apart.

For those who cannot get into the top top schools, the mid market players in metro Boston, Northeastern, BU, Bentley, Babson all offer vastly better programs, peer sets and networks than any of the schools Sav is considering.

I know exactly what you mean. But what I’m saying is that for MY goals, and what I (personally ONLY) am trying to accomplish the value isn’t there to go put another mortgage size loan over my head.
    I am in the business that an MBA might get me a promotion/raise a bit sooner or with a better salary.
    Of course the top recruiters don’t go by Woo state, and seeing that several steps above me in the corporate ladder (I’m taking about companies I have worked for or want to work for) leaders don’t have MBAs or have MBA from not so popular schools makes me want to get that edge and advantage. I pretty much don’t want the lack of MBA to be an excuse for them to turn me down one day or not offer me the money that I want to get.

Like I said I also want to teach one day (very long term goal). My understanding is that a Masters is required. So there’s that. And the local state colleges that I will most likely be applying for won’t care much where the degree came for. As a matter of fact, some professors I spoke with even mentioned that it’s easier to work at the university you got your degree from.

But I will end with everything you said is absolutely right. MBA is a business, end of story.

xxaarraa

I know exactly what you mean. But what I’m saying is that for MY goals, and what I (personally ONLY) am trying to accomplish the value isn’t there to go put another mortgage size loan over my head.
    I am in the business that an MBA might get me a promotion/raise a bit sooner or with a better salary.
    Of course the top recruiters don’t go by Woo state, and seeing that several steps above me in the corporate ladder (I’m taking about companies I have worked for or want to work for) leaders don’t have MBAs or have MBA from not so popular schools makes me want to get that edge and advantage. I pretty much don’t want the lack of MBA to be an excuse for them to turn me down one day or not offer me the money that I want to get.

Like I said I also want to teach one day (very long term goal). My understanding is that a Masters is required. So there’s that. And the local state colleges that I will most likely be applying for won’t care much where the degree came for. As a matter of fact, some professors I spoke with even mentioned that it’s easier to work at the university you got your degree from.

But I will end with everything you said is absolutely right. MBA is a business, end of story.
    I hear ya. If you know the path you are on and know what you want (seems you do), then what you are saying makes sense to me.

BTW, if you want to teach, the MBA isn't going to really help. You pretty much need a Phd to even get in the door as an associate professor.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    I hear ya. If you know the path you are on and know what you want (seems you do), then what you are saying makes sense to me.

BTW, if you want to teach, the MBA isn't going to really help. You pretty much need a Phd to even get in the door as an associate professor.
    hmmm none of my last 6 professors have a PhD. Only one of them enrolled in PhD program and she is dropping teaching now because it is too much to do both (she also has a FT job).

hmmm none of my last 6 professors have a PhD. Only one of them enrolled in PhD program and she is dropping teaching now because it is too much to do both (she also has a FT job).
    PhD not required to adjunct @ 3k per course.

PhD not required for term renewable full time positions as long as there is substantial experience and you can work full time for 75k a year.

PhD required for any tenure track positions and for 90% of all full time positions at AACSB accredited schools.

higher ed jobs

PhD not required to adjunct @ 3k per course.

PhD not required for term renewable full time positions as long as there is substantial experience and you can work full time for 75k a year.

PhD required for any tenure track positions and for 90% of all full time positions at AACSB accredited schools.

higher ed jobs
    that makes sense.

Do a thorough search (linked in) and look at the educational background of the people in your company whose jobs you want to have in the next 5 years.

Do a thorough search (linked in) and look at the educational background of the people in your company whose jobs you want to have in the next 5 years.
    oh i have trust me. all the way up to C levels.

seems like luck/hard work, owning your own company, being the best, and doing it for a long time sometimes works. @ Tsorfas, I say skip school - reddit. W2 guys "build wealth over time" but some lucky business owners are straight ballin - my parents' friends own assisted care facilities, several hotels, EMR companies, etc. Heck take a short prep to become an LVN then own/run a patient board and care facility (one I looked at each patient brought in $4,000/month...they had 6 patients); rinse and repeat on multiple + manage it out, and retire in 10 years. Can't imagine MBA folks are retiring in 10-15 years unless they did a top 10 school with a really strong W2 to get a few million in the bank really early and living po'

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-23-17 at 10:13 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast