Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

GMAT Exam any tips?

Re: GMAT Exam any tips?

Sav if you're looking at the exec ed type programs (mostly online with some in-person workshops) they often do not require GMAT because most of their applicants are more experienced work-wise. I was looking at one of those programs but switched to an evening program because I wanted the classroom experience. But if you are looking at other formats and/or want to be safe, taking the test is a good idea.

I had to rush to take the GMAT during the summer within ~1 week because I changed to do the non-exec ed version. I showed up without studying at all and got a 99th percentile score like imbeek so I'm not going to be much help to you there. I've always done well on standardized tests. But most important I'd say is to be familiar with the different parts of the test - particularly the integrated reasoning part as that is new-ish (imbeek wouldn't have had that). Understand also that if questions seem like they are getting harder it means you're doing well - since the test is adaptive and is trying to hone in on your score.

My work support got pulled partway into my program so I ended up having to do it ~90% on my own dime anyways. If I could go back and do it all over again I would have just quit my job and gone full time to HBS or Sloan - the best programs do not offer evening/exec versions.

BTW you are right that HBS is expensive. But when you come out of it making 150+ (believe stanford starting average pay is the highest at ~165) and then 30-50% bonuses on top of that, and many companies now giving you an additional ~50k to help with your loans, you don't really care about the program cost.

2 Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Thanks CEO. I know you went through it, just didn’t know details.

Unfortunately for me the opportunity to be full time student ended when I was 15. Not that I’d ever wanna do that again lol.

It d be nice to experience something like HBS but I don’t see that ever happening. Who knows...

I am exploring some online only programs now with state schools

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    seems like luck/hard work, owning your own company, being the best, and doing it for a long time sometimes works. @ Tsorfas, I say skip school - reddit. W2 guys "build wealth over time" but some lucky business owners are straight ballin - my parents' friends own assisted care facilities, several hotels, EMR companies, etc. Heck take a short prep to become an LVN then own/run a patient board and care facility (one I looked at each patient brought in $4,000/month...they had 6 patients); rinse and repeat on multiple + manage it out, and retire in 10 years. Can't imagine MBA folks are retiring in 10-15 years unless they did a top 10 school with a really strong W2 to get a few million in the bank really early and living po'
    It’s not all about money. That sounds cool but I’d never survive working a care facility.

I love what I do right now. Do I wish I made more? Yes, who doesn’t? But I love my team, my day to day and my team.
    Just trying to plan and build the future. One thing I know is the MBA will NOT hurt me.

0 Not allowed!

I will throw in my $0.02 here as I'm going through something similar. You would have to write this in your application, so I'll just ask it here: what do you want to do, and why do you think an MBA is going to help you do it?

There is a world of difference between mediocre and top-tier programs, and the cost difference between them is going to be substantial -- but so are the benefits of a better program.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

FWIW, I'm looking at the Wal-Mart of colleges for my MBA, SNHU; between work and parenting I need to be able to do it online. If anyone has a better suggestion for an online program, I'm all ears. My experience is my greatest strength in where I want to go (industrial project management) but there are opportunities that won't be available to me without an advanced degree.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Some Grad schools do waive the GMAT given sufficient work experience. What kind of degree are you pursuing? Cheers

0 Not allowed!

Found out this morning that I got in to school starting this Fall. If anyone needs info on the GRE and/or GMAT, let me know!

Also if anyone wants to buy a KTM, or a Honda, or a Kendon trailer...

2 Not allowed!

Congrats!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Found out this morning that I got in to school starting this Fall. If anyone needs info on the GRE and/or GMAT, let me know!

Also if anyone wants to buy a KTM, or a Honda, or a Kendon trailer...
    Where are you headed?

0 Not allowed!

Thanks guys. I'm going to Dartmouth

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123