Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GM's 3.0L diesel

GM's 3.0L diesel

Apologies if this has been discussed before and I missed it, but I'm picking up a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 today, decently spec'd out vehicle which I'll be using mostly as a people mover with some light truck duties. It seems to me that my needs are exactly what this engine was made for. 28+ mpg, very roomy inside and good enough towing capacity. It's a relatively new design and I've done a moderate amount of online digging, not finding anything very concerning at all, but I'm curious if anyone here has any first hand experience with it? Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Re: GM's 3.0L diesel

I work at the GM Mazda dealer, i havent seen any issues yet and its still pretty new. I couple customers I've talked to with the 2.7L in the Colorado have been pretty happy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    couple customers I've talked to with the 2.7L in the Colorado have been pretty happy.
    I really wish the Colorado could have worked for us, I much prefer a smaller vehicle but with 5 of us it just wasn't quite big enough.

Hyper

Lifer

All the review about this engine say it is a peach - smooth and powerful. If I remember correctly it came from GM Europe. Iím happy that the additional price for this engine is not outrageous.

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

New diesels scare the hell out of me. I really want to like this one, but some of the tech is "concerning" and this one really doesn't have many miles racked up by people yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFNsg7bCtdA&t=590s

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    New diesels scare the hell out of me. I really want to like this one, but some of the tech is "concerning" and this one really doesn't have many miles racked up by people yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFNsg7bCtdA&t=590s
    It really can be disconcerting seeing all the extra emissions related crap, seems fair to think there's simply more stuff that can fail. But so far only complaint I have seen with any consistency is the location/serviceability of the oil pump chain. They guy in the video tells the dude about how it's easy to service but then describes how you have to back off the transmission from the engine...

Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    It really can be disconcerting seeing all the extra emissions related crap, seems fair to think there's simply more stuff that can fail. But so far only complaint I have seen with any consistency is the location/serviceability of the oil pump chain. They guy in the video tells the dude about how it's easy to service but then describes how you have to back off the transmission from the engine...

It's a belt for the oil pump. Back off the transmission every 150K

Do you do a ton of mileage? My math says 30k a year is 5 year return on engine cost vs gas just basing things on fuel savings. Increased maintenance changes that as well. Haven't really looked into fuel filters or sump capacities to figure those out.

I love the idea of this engine, but keep circling back to the 5.3l as a more rational choice, or at least less of a roll of the dice.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

It's a belt for the oil pump. Back off the transmission every 150K

Do you do a ton of mileage? My math says 30k a year is 5 year return on engine cost vs gas just basing things on fuel savings. Increased maintenance changes that as well. Haven't really looked into fuel filters or sump capacities to figure those out.

I love the idea of this engine, but keep circling back to the 5.3l as a more rational choice, or at least less of a roll of the dice.
    I consistently do about 15-17k annually, so ROI in that respect won't be coming anytime soon. And is the consensus that diesel engines are more maintenance intensive? It's my first diesel, and I'm pretty much an idiot, had assumed diesels were LESS expensive to own...

Another challenge is that it's hard to quantify value with driveability, which is a big positive with this engine, people seem to love driving it. When I took it for a test drive I enjoyed it much more than the gas version I drive, albeit I didn't drive the 5.3l.

Oh, and it's a diesel, chicks dig them, amiright!!??

Hyper

Lifer

The smaller "new diesels" are not always new. Some of these have been used in Europe for some time and are just slightly modified. I am not excited about the one that was previously in the Grand Cherokee. I don't trust the Fiat diesels as much. It would be nice if they struck a deal with Renault as they have made some excellent diesels in the past two decades. You do need the tech to support it which would be my concern. I am not sure that they are popular enough for the service department to the that familiar with them. After buying my daughter a used Golf TDI as our first diesel, I am sold. I love that little car and the characteristics of the diesel for daily driving

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

I consistently do about 15-17k annually, so ROI in that respect won't be coming anytime soon. And is the consensus that diesel engines are more maintenance intensive? It's my first diesel, and I'm pretty much an idiot, had assumed diesels were LESS expensive to own...

Another challenge is that it's hard to quantify value with driveability, which is a big positive with this engine, people seem to love driving it. When I took it for a test drive I enjoyed it much more than the gas version I drive, albeit I didn't drive the 5.3l.

Oh, and it's a diesel, chicks dig them, amiright!!??
    I get the driveability, which is why I keep gravitating back to it. Diesels are amazing to drive and I fucking love 'em. It's really nice to be able to do whatever the fuck I want when I want and they cruise effortlessly.

As for maintenance, my older diesel holds 10 quarts of oil vs smaller sumps for gas motors. Fuel filters are $30 and need to be changed every 15k per GM but most people I know say 7500 is best if you don't want issues. I just change it once per year. Fuel additives, especially in winter can add up to. Plenty of people don't bother, but I want zero issues with the cold and I like the idea of extra lubricity for an expensive fuel pump.

Emissions have been the big nightmare. When that shit breaks you're fuel savings evaporates in repairs. The harder and longer you run them the better they seem to do.

It really boils down to an emotional purchase vs a financial one in my eyes at this point.

I love/hate that you can get one of these trucks with the diesel in lower trims too. It makes me consider it a lot more since the pricing is so close. If I had to pop for one of the higher trim packages I'd just write it off and go 5.3l

Last edited by e30addict; 02-13-21 at 11:08 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Put about 120 miles on the truck so far, couldn't be more different than what it's replacing, my BMW 3 series wagon, but I am really enjoying this vehicle. Almost all the miles were highway and I gave the adaptive cruise control a try, pleasantly surprised how inobtrusive it felt, I have nothing to compare it to but the cruise control combined with the lane assist meant for a really relaxing ride. On that note, the truck has the X31 Offroad Package, nothing I need at all and I think it contributed to a bit bouncier ride on the highway, not awful but definitely noticeable.

Pretty funny too, I left the dealership with a full tank and the truck calculated that I'd travel 296 miles on that tank, just pulled into the driveway after 100+ miles and it's showing 340 miles to empty. I had cruise set at 70, seems like that's a pretty efficient speed!

Crew cab is super super roomy with loads of storage in and under the rear seats, bunch of space in the center console too.

And on the oil change discussion, my first google search popped up a oil and filter "kit" (7 quarts of dexosD and an AC Delco filter) for $60, crossing my fingers I can get it for cheaper than that but who knows.

Great first 24 hours with my new ride!

GM's 3.0L diesel-sierra-jpg

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Nice looking truck. Congrats. Mileage should keep going up as it breaks in and weather gets warmer. Curious where you end up real world.

I just noticed that thing has grill shutters too. Neat trick that makes things easy. I forgot the cold front on mine once and started towing. It took a bit to figure out why the fan was screaming and it was only 60 degrees.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Looks great! Curious to hear how it does towing. Keep us in the loop!

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Looks great! Curious to hear how it does towing. Keep us in the loop!
    I was just teasing my wife that now we're really going to have to get a camper (I freaking hate camping...), so if that becomes a reality I'll definitely give some input. The only towing I have done, and anticipate doing in the near future, was with a 4x8 utility trailer loaded for trackdays or dump runs. I was doing that with ease with my Beemer, I'm thinking I may not notice, or even see, the trailer on the back of this truck.

Hyper

And on the oil change discussion, my first google search popped up a oil and filter "kit" (7 quarts of dexosD and an AC Delco filter) for $60, crossing my fingers I can get it for cheaper than that but who knows.
    Truck looks awesome.

As the guy that works in a service dept, don't take this the wrong way, but you just spent $50-60,000 on a truck and your cheaping out on a possible $60 oil change for a beast that takes 7 qt of oil plus filter. ffs

Also with GM stuff I think your first 2 services are picked up by GM warranty.

Truck looks awesome.

As the guy that works in a service dept, don't take this the wrong way, but you just spent $50-60,000 on a truck and your cheaping out on a possible $60 oil change for a beast that takes 7 qt of oil plus filter. ffs

Also with GM stuff I think your first 2 services are picked up by GM warranty.
    Oh I totally agree, I only meant that I didn't spend any time looking for a better price so I assumed I can get the proper oil and filter cheaper. And since you'd know better than me, is $60 the going rate for 7 quarts of quality dexosD and an AC Delco filter?

Hyper

That seems absurdly cheap. I'm on the Mazda side so i really don't see much, but I know for an V8 we are $79.99, Any small print on that coupon?

Dmax store has the AC Delco kit for $60.

No comment on if I'd use OEM lubes though

Edit: probably not a lot of options that meet that spec yet

Last edited by e30addict; 02-15-21 at 08:28 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

That seems absurdly cheap. I'm on the Mazda side so i really don't see much, but I know for an V8 we are $79.99, Any small print on that coupon?
    I'd have to double check, but that price you gave is helpful as a reference.

Hyper

I think the Tundra takes like 8 quarts. lol.

Dmax store has the AC Delco kit for $60.
    Bingo, that's where I found it.GM's 3.0L diesel-screenshot_20210215-090332-jpg

Hyper

so thats just the kit wholesale not counting labor so to have it done your looking 80-120 bucks for a LOF, and tire rotation.

then also since its a diesel, most dealers to not refill DEF fluid, so if thats being topped for figure more for that

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I think the Tundra takes like 8 quarts. lol.

Seems like the sump sizes are similar. Chevy's 5.3l is 8 quarts too. Changing it every 7500 or less seems to be the biggest difference, assuming you're already using decent oil.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

then also since its a diesel, most dealers to not refill DEF fluid, so if thats being topped for figure more for that
    Never owned anything that uses DEF, but the cost doesn't seem too crazy for it. Going into limp mode when you're low sucks balls though.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

agreed on the cost, and ive seen reststops on the highways have def available right at the pump which is super convenient. but people will bitch about everything. even when its free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast