Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Any GoPro experts?

Any GoPro experts?

I've used a ton of GoPros over the years, but finally got my own a few months ago. It's a Hero 7 White. It's by far one of the most frustrating devices I've ever owned. I have tons of issues with it, and would like to get to the bottom of them. Has anyone ever experienced these?
    - Freezes virtually every time I take a photo
    - Intermittently shows "card error" after several minutes of recording video
    - When it records video without errors, sometimes these files don't show up on the card

This is immensely frustrating because I think I'm recording something, and it either freezes or doesn't save. Or I end up fumbling with it while riding, which obviously isn't ideal. My guess is that the memory card is to blame (can't imagine GoPro would still be in business if everyone was experiencing this).

I'm using this card: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Generic 256GB Micro SD SDXC Memory Card High Speed Class 10). Is this a shitty memory card? I know nothing about this space. I forget what it cost, and it's no longer available, but I don't think it was too cheap.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

0 Not allowed!

Re: Any GoPro experts?

did you update the firmware on the camera?

0 Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000R. Past: 2010 Streefighter S, 2006 Monter S2R1000, 2003 RC51

And a good quality memory card does make a difference.

0 Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000R. Past: 2010 Streefighter S, 2006 Monter S2R1000, 2003 RC51

I updated the firmware when I first got it in December, haven't been prompted since.

0 Not allowed!

I'm having some similar issues with my new 7. I bought a sandisk card 256. Might try a smaller card or another brand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Let me know how you make out. I don't remember what I paid for my card, but I think I got sticker shock and bought a cheap/large one. In hindsight, I definitely didn't need one that big (I think it holds ~20+ hours of video). I would definitely buy a smaller higher quality one if that will solve my issues.

0 Not allowed!

I also had intermittent "sd card error" problems with a gopro session hero 4; I then ditched the generic card and bought the one they recommended (SanDisk extreme), and voila! no more card errors

here is what they recommend for you:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/bloc...erations#list1

maybe I should upgrade to the 7...my session 4 is really shaky off road

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I also had intermittent "sd card error" problems with a gopro session hero 4; I then ditched the generic card and bought the one they recommended (SanDisk extreme), and voila! no more card errors

here is what they recommend for you:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/bloc...erations#list1

maybe I should upgrade to the 7...my session 4 is really shaky off road
    Thanks! I'll give a better card a shot and see if that fixes things.

As for the 7, the quality is really good (and I have the bottom end version). When it works, it's great! I think all of my videos from this weekend are too big to upload, but here's a photo.

Any GoPro experts?-g0130258-jpg

0 Not allowed!

I think there have been fake Sandisk cards sold on Amazon which aren't actually Class 10. I'd try to test the speed of your card and see if it's fast enough to record HD.

0 Not allowed!

There are widespread freezing problems reported with the 7 series. I had a hero 5 black that was solid performance wise, until I lost it on track due to a previous collision crash cracking the mount teeth of the case. Will definitely drill a hole in the case for safety wire next time...

I think people are hoping GoPro releases additional firmware to fix the freezing issues I've been hearing about. Until then the 5's are only $180 or so on Amazon.

0 Not allowed!
    '19 Husqvarna FS450 Race
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    2007 Aprilia RSVR Factory (For Sale)

I’ve read of similar issues with the 7 series, and SD card or firmware are usually the suggested fix as mentioned.

I really need to upgrade my Hero3+ black and the 7 Black looks awesome with Hypersmooth, but these issues make me nervous.

My buddy just got a DJI Osmo Action with pretty comparable quality, smoothing, and it has a front screen and supposedly much better interface so I want to check that out first. GoPro is likely dropping the 8 before too long. Not that any of this is relevant to your problem.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350