Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GoPro's vs knock-off's

GoPro's vs knock-off's

In the market for an action cam for trackdays.

GoPro's are big money compared to the highly rated GoPro clones on Amazon such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-EK7000-.../dp/B01HGM33HG

over 10k ratings on Amazon, still 4.5 stars. $60.

I mean really, is a GoPro so much better that one camera is worth FOUR of these?

Anyone have any experience?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Re: GoPro's vs knock-off's

Or this one at more money, but 4k @60fps

https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-Control.../dp/B07J4TNYV8

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The Hero 7 has the stability stuff which is cool for motorcycles. I don’t know if the other ones have that as well, but if not, that’s the only reason I’d spend more.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

For the price it looks like its a pretty low risk experiment.

0 Not allowed!

I have both a cheap gopro clone (akaso ek7000) and a Hero4 Black edition.The audio on the real gopro is much better, the video is a bit better too. Here's two videos I took at a track day showing the difference:
    Hero4 (front facing): https://youtu.be/A9iMDgBmLn4
    Akaso ek7000 (rear facing): https://youtu.be/vffpt0eouNY

They were taken on the same day in the same weather conditions etc. I don't think there's a big difference and I use both whenever I can.

0 Not allowed!
    YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2001 Aprilia Futura - 2002 Aprilia RSV Mille - 1998 Honda Superhawk - 2011 TM Racing EN 250

No experience with the Asko but I have one of the other knockoffs (DBpower). Cheap enough that a crash isn't going to break my heart. As mentioned audio could be better but not terrible. I'm not using it for the sound anyway. What I do find is I'd rather drop the resolution down a notch to get the higher frame rate. That seems (to me) as important as better motion control or higher frame rate. I guess it depends on what you'll be using it for.

0 Not allowed!

I am not 100% up to date on the tech, but the only reasons I would upgrade to a 7 or newer is for the hypersmooth video stability and improved night vision over the Session 4

I looked into the knock off cameras, but I like the size and simplicity of the session, that with an $80 used price tag, it meets all my needs

0 Not allowed!

Hypersmooth is awesome. almost uncanny. But my 7 has had some freezing problems.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Any time you see a huge number of reviews on amazon, run it through www.fakespot.com

It analyzes the reviews and tells you what amazon is cherry picking in the reviews. Sometimes they switch product links around to create falso positive reviews. So your looking for a camera and there are 7,000 positive reviews, but in the questions it's people asking about a pet hair brush or something stupid and all the 5 star ratings reflect some other product and not the camera. This is especially true for chinese knock off products like action cameras.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 09-23-19 at 06:54 PM.