Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Off-Grid Electricity

Re: Off-Grid Electricity

The solar guy was here, proposed 22 panels on my house, and 22 on my barn, with micro inverters on each panel estimated annual production, 15,100kw my current average use in 15,500 11.5 year payback, on the $39,500 system, it would combine my house and barn, elimnate the meter on my house, saving a meter charge, and I would hit that magic # every month of usage that give me discount rate, somehting I never thought of, I think I will combine the systems even if I don't go solar

I would have to trench fron the house to the barn, for 2 conduits, one to run the solar out to the barn's 200am panel, and another to run 100 amps back to the house

unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to claim much of the 26% tax credit, as it is a credit against federal income tax, and now that I am retired, my tax liability just aint that big

he also said I could get another 5000kw out of the system if I could cut an oak tree on my neighbor's property, it is directly south of my barn roof, blocking the best part of the day

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Do you know what brand hardware they are pushing? Inverters and micro-inverters? Enphase?
    Our system is SolarEdge with their per-panel optimizers. Everything off the roof is DC. I can't tell if this inverter can do DC tied batteries. I'm hearing nobody does that now with the AC coupled systems like the Tesla battery wall. Still trying to learn about these systems.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

their system is entirely AC, the micro inverters at the panel, convert the individual panel to AC, company was 603Solar, any battery storage would require converting back to DC, or get some eeekspensive new tech AC batteries, about $20k for 5kw storage, it would keep me going overnight without grid, but anymore than that, and I'd be starting my generator. Batteries could be added later on as cost of technology wains

I have a lot to think about, as much as I'd like to be self sufficient, with 11.5 year payback, I might not live to see it, I'll be 80 years old if I do

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123