Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grocery Store Thread

Grocery Store Thread

Let's face it: there will be a time or two these next few weeks when we'll all have to run out to grab something we either overlooked or simply ran out of ahead of time planned. Let's use this thread as a way to try to keep members from similar areas up to date on how things are looking in terms of groceries & supplies & whatnots.

Let's keep this on topic and keep the "you shouldn't be going anywhere" arguments in another thread. It's practically inevitable that someone will need to stock something, especially those of us who don't "panic" buy. Just a quick time, location & store rundown of what you recently witnessed to keep people up to date. And let's keep this to first-hand experiences too - none of this "I heard".

3/24 about 4:00pm, Hooksett Market Basket: Very well stocked, even paper products. Although they only had smaller packages of TP, there was still plenty to chose from. Canned veggies & instant processed-type stuff was wiped out, but plenty of fresh produce and freezer items. There was a good stock of other canned & dry goods. Plenty of chicken and pork products, and plenty of red meat as long as you weren't hoping for ground beef. Lots of bread & dairy products and plenty of hygiene items.

3/25 about 7:00am, Manchester Market Basket: About the same as Hooksett the day before, but there is at least limited ground beef.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Re: Grocery Store Thread

Overall I would say go early as there are less people out and about and most stores restock over night. Other then paper products and eggs, we have not had any issues in the lakes region so far!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Overall I would say go early as there are less people out and about and most stores restock over night. Other then paper products and eggs, we have not had any issues in the lakes region so far!
    Actually, I've found that now with their reduced hours, getting to the Hooksett Market Baskets around 4:00-4:30 works out good. They had TONS of staff stocking shelves. And I'd say there were just as many stockers there as there were shoppers at that time.

Not so much with the Manchester one at 7:00 or so this morning. The seniors did a good job getting their groceries there these last couple early morning runs they're getting.

Where about in the Lakes Region? It could be helpful to point out locations & stores you have first hand experience with.

0 Not allowed!

Wolfeboro went to the Hannaford's in Alton. Local stores in town have supplies, other then paper goods and eggs thank god their are no issues with Beer!!!

1 Not allowed!

Wolfeboro went to the Hannaford's in Alton. Local stores in town have supplies, other then paper goods and eggs thank god their are no issues with Beer!!!
    Ahhh..okay, so you're right up the road from me. Yeah, the local stores all seem to be doing pretty good. Even the DG's seem to be keeping good pace. And I still can't wrap my head around the toilet paper effect.

Beer seems to be plentiful no matter where I go. NH state liquor stores are doing an incredible job staying stocked.

0 Not allowed!

Weekly run to Price Chopper on 3/25. St. J, Vermont.
    No rice, flour, bread, ramen, chunky soup, spray disinfectant, bleach, or baby wipes.
    Limited pasta, sauce, frozen veg, ground beef, paper towels, canned beans. Options exist, it's not like they're low on food.
    All the beer, wine, and chips you could want.
    Tape markers on the floor for 6 ft intervals at the counters and checkouts. Wipe dispenser at the door.
    I thanked all the employees I saw, god knows they don't get paid enough to put up with this kind of exposure and product volume. Everybody seemed to be cool, except the one lady in the frozen aisle telling the stocker she would now have to COME BACK because they didn't have her stuff. I gave him a shrug of solidarity.

2 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I thanked all the employees I saw, god knows they don't get paid enough to put up with this kind of exposure and product volume. Everybody seemed to be cool, except the one lady in the frozen aisle telling the stocker she would now have to COME BACK because they didn't have her stuff. I gave him a shrug of solidarity.
    These fuckin' people freaking out on teenage stockers because the store is out of something should get banned from the store indefinitely. I'll never understand that. I get the frustration but they're hardly the people to be snapping on.

I also made sure not only thank them but also asked how they were holding up.

0 Not allowed!

We've had a hard time finding eggs, till tuesday morning senior hours at market basket at the Ridge in Rochester, they had plenty of eggs.

Sunday I had occasion to stop at the Vista Market in Laconia.... awesome choice of quality meets (I wasn't planning on going there, but a client recommended them for meat)

I have heard that Arthur's Market in Rochester is also a good place for meats

Diamond B Farm in New Durham is advertising they still have meat

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    We've had a hard time finding eggs, till tuesday morning senior hours at market basket at the Ridge in Rochester, they had plenty of eggs.

Sunday I had occasion to stop at the Vista Market in Laconia.... awesome choice of quality meets (I wasn't planning on going there, but a client recommended them for meat)

I have heard that Arthur's Market in Rochester is also a good place for meats

Diamond B Farm in New Durham is advertising they still have meat
    Mike's Meat and Dani's in Pittsfield seem pretty well stocked with meat & dairy too. Eggs are something that's easily had locally, at least for us. A few beans more, but always worth it.

0 Not allowed!

same at one on North Main St in Rochester, haven't been to the Milton Road Hannafords, or the Market Basket on that side of town

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I got gas at BJs in Manchester after work and decided to go in because there weren't many people there. They have an actual security guard posted by the entrance now.

All paper products were picked over except for industrial paper towels and fancy printed napkins.
    Eggs were well worked over but still available.
    Frozen products were well stocked.
    Tons of bottled water.
    Plenty of cleaners on hand that don't claim to be "sanitizers."
    No raw chicken or ground beef but plenty of inexpensive to higher grade beef and roast chickens from the kitchen.
    No hand sanitizer.
    No vinyl/latex/nitrile gloves.
    Plenty of bulk pasta.
    They had half a skid left of 12lbs bags of flour.
    Plenty of bread by the bakery.

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Went to the Stop & Shop at South Bay Plaza this morning (you can see it from 93S).

No eggs, which was a surprise. Plenty of milk, meat, bread etc. Out of most household cleaners. Some paper goods, I believe they have a purchase limit. Without commuters living in a Boston is grand.

Haven’t been to Costco for a couple of weeks, wed just purchased a bale of their TP anyway.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Went to the Stop & Shop at South Bay Plaza this morning (you can see it from 93S).

No eggs, which was a surprise. Plenty of milk, meat, bread etc. Out of most household cleaners. Some paper goods, I believe they have a purchase limit. Without commuters living in a Boston is grand.

Haven’t been to Costco for a couple of weeks, wed just purchased a bale of their TP anyway.
    I think stoppie only gets three egg deliveries a week unless they ramped up for this.

You could call and ask to talk to the receiver and ask what days and I’m sure they would tell u

0 Not allowed!

I'm wondering how there can continue to be a food shortage. Have the manufacturers slowed production with reduced personnel? Are people that are stocked up continuing to stock up? Are there other supply chain factors that are going on?

0 Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

After I went to PolymerSource to pick up face shields, drove to Costco Nashua as it was only 4 miles away.

They have a line outside the store. They wipe off the cart handle with disinfectant and they let you in as someone leaves. They had a list of items out of stock at the door. In the checkout line you handled all the items, holding it up to scan. Very long lines for checkout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grocery Store Thread-77d520d6-5ad5-4c5b-9865-31a01174ac08  

0 Not allowed!

Really irks me they can't spell sanitizer.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Really irks me they can't spell sanitizer.
    Really irks me that you been all talkin bout eggs a bunch and I've been on the first diet of my entire life for the last nearly 3 weeks and I just want to fry up like 10 eggs and eat them with toast.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I'm wondering how there can continue to be a food shortage. Have the manufacturers slowed production with reduced personnel? Are people that are stocked up continuing to stock up? Are there other supply chain factors that are going on?
    I'd assume many employers are short-staffed due to people staying home sick, or people who needed to self-quarantine due to someone else in the household who is at higher risk. Then there's new tasks and slow-downs due to any attempts at distancing and disinfecting.

On top of that, many shoppers are likely buying larger quantities to limit trips to the store, and because too many Americans act like they 'must have' certain items in tough circumstances.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Really irks me that you been all talkin bout eggs a bunch and I've been on the first diet of my entire life for the last nearly 3 weeks and I just want to fry up like 10 eggs and eat them with toast.
    It irks you dozent it?

10 would be impressive in one sitting...

0 Not allowed!

Oh, I could do it.

I'll be heading back to the store next week. We'll see how my local Market Basket is. Fresh produce/dairy/meat was all fully stocked last week (minus BURGER MEAT for some strange reason).

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

That was me with the avocados today. None of the ones at the store I was in are going to be ripe anytime this century.

Lee NH Market Basket, 2 PM today. Moderately empty. About on par for what I would have guessed for that time of the day. About 20-30% of the customers were wearing masks. One woman in a hat, sunglasses, mask, gloves and dressed as to cover 100% of her skin. Others just doing whatever. I wiped the kart down for the first time ever.

Had everything in stock I wanted except hand-sanitizer (kind of figured that one was unlikely) and flour. I didn't look for "burger meat" but they had pork and chicken. I bought ~6 lbs of shoulder to make some more pulled pork. Found a decent recipe and have the wife hooked on pulled pork sandwiches at the moment. No problems on my dairy, meat and produce needs. Freezers appear fully stocked again, or close to it. I think the paper products are still cleared out, but I didn't remember to look that closely. Had the baby-wipes I thought might be a stretch goal.

No beer specials at all. Had to pay full price for some Sam. Chip selection was bunk too. Wound up taking a chance with store brand "wavy" chips.. which aren't too bad believe it or not.

Woman working the checkout was acting like it was any other day.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That was me with the avocados today. None of the ones at the store I was in are going to be ripe anytime this century.
    That's the story of the bananas I bought a week ago. They were so green that only now am I seeing any black spots just starting to form on the peel.

I went to the Manchester Hannafords just off of exit 9 on 93. They were out of flour, sugar, eggs, normal butter, most pasta, and most paper products. Everything else was fully stocked including produce and all meats. Yes, chicken too.

0 Not allowed!

Market Basket on 114 Lawrence/North Andover line. Very full customer wise as of 1:30pm. Plenty of just about everything at this point minus paper products. Stark contrast from a week ago. Eggs are limit 2 and are twice as much money though. Plums are 1/2 of what they were a week ago.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

I just went to Shaws in Hooksett New Hampshire and they had absolutely everything except for paper products.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I just went to Shaws in Hooksett New Hampshire and they had absolutely everything except for paper products.
    Shaw’s are usually dead. I would try the often forgotten Londonderry store.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast