Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Grocery Store Thread

Lifer

Re: Grocery Store Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I went to Hannafords (N.Main Rochester) primarily to get fresh meat and some salad veggies. When I shop for meat, I don't look at price, or for any specific cut. I look for last sale date/freeze by. Usually, I find cuts that are dated at least a week out, but lately, only tomorrow, or the next day, meaning I gotta freeze it, only to thaw it out in a few days
    If the stock person's done their job right, the products with later dates are usually stuffed further up or deeper down. Some meats are packed with nitrogen in place of the oxygen, which means they keep even longer.

I keep a sharpie by the fridge and write the date in big numbers on certain things so when I open the fridge, I can easily spot the order stuff needs to be consumed. Also, far too many Americans are unbelievably wasteful with their food because of ignorance about how food safety works. People inexplicably believe that things like 'best by' dates mean 'unsafe to eat after this date' which is entirely wrong. Sell-by date is similar, but used on things that can actually become unsafe at some point. Just it isn't the sell-by date, it's some time beyond that. It's the epitome of a first world problem, and not very good for the environment either.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If the stock person's done their job right, the products with later dates are usually stuffed further up or deeper down..
    yes, I know how to dig. We also get a few extra days cause we set the temp pretty cold (milk on the back wall will sometimes start forming ice)

I'm gonna be freezing stuff that I normally wouldn't, that adds the step of thawing, and of course, it never tastes as good.

not that I was getting and, the pasta / sauce aisle was empty. only reason I walked down the aisle, is the social distancing one way traffic, so you can't skip the aisle to go in the wrong direction . I'm not used to looking down at directional signs taped to the floor. It's like they are asking me to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

yes, I know how to dig. We also get a few extra days cause we set the temp pretty cold (milk on the back wall will sometimes start forming ice)

I'm gonna be freezing stuff that I normally wouldn't, that adds the step of thawing, and of course, it never tastes as good.

not that I was getting and, the pasta / sauce aisle was empty. only reason I walked down the aisle, is the social distancing one way traffic, so you can't skip the aisle to go in the wrong direction . I'm not used to looking down at directional signs taped to the floor. It's like they are asking me to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.
    Not sure what food you're talking about but people would be surprised to find out how much of their fresh food was previously frozen. Case in point bread.

OH and FYI (not to you randy just in general)
    The lakes region gilford/Belmont/Laconia is well stocked. Thinking we probably don't need to worry about resources.

[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Not sure what food you're talking about but people would be surprised to find out how much of their fresh food was previously frozen. Case in point bread.

OH and FYI (not to you randy just in general)
    The lakes region gilford/Belmont/Laconia is well stocked. Thinking we probably don't need to worry about resources.
    chicken in particular, I can see the ice crystals, I don't buy that stuff

I shopped in Laconia a couple weeks ago cause I was doing a job there, otherwise it's way out of my way I'm kinda centrally located between the 2 Rochester Hannafords and the one in Alton. 6-7 miles from each, also have 2 Market Baskets and Walmart in that circle

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Hypertarded

only reason I walked down the aisle, is the social distancing one way traffic, so you can't skip the aisle to go in the wrong direction . I'm not used to looking down at directional signs taped to the floor. It's like they are asking me to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.
    1st time to the store since the MASK recommendation yesterday, forgot my mask, was getting dirty looks from the people with masks as they walked the WRONG direction down the aisle head on at me

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

chicken in particular, I can see the ice crystals, I don't buy that stuff

I shopped in Laconia a couple weeks ago cause I was doing a job there, otherwise it's way out of my way I'm kinda centrally located between the 2 Rochester Hannafords and the one in Alton. 6-7 miles from each, also have 2 Market Baskets and Walmart in that circle
    Wait the fuck a second they have directional floor markings? You should throw that revolver on your hip, between your look and that hand cannon people will avoid you. (not in an insulting way) my shemagh face covering and 6" 357 does the trick.

[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Wait the fuck a second they have directional floor markings?
    The Shaws near my office has them. I didn't notice until long after I had gone any which way and back again in the store. No one seemed to care.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Yeah, I went to the Shaws near the Mall in Concord today. They had the "floor markers" on most aisles, but the 2 "beer aisles" didn't have any markers.

I walked up one of them, to meet a kid dust mopping the floor, who informed me I was going the wrong way down (or up, who knows) the aisle. He agreed that the aisle had no markers. "People who come to the store a lot have figured it out".

Most everything was in stock. Eggs seemed low, but there were some. OJ was also very picked over. I didn't go down the paper aisle.

I can barely navigate a grocery store as is, now we have one way aisles I'm definitely going to starve.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

Yeah, I don't really shop that much. I generally found myself at the wrong end of any aisle I needed to be on, so I found myself walking down a bunch of aisles uselessly.

There's also a non discussed no passing rule, so if there's someone in the aisle, you just need to wait on them to finish.

Lastly there were distance markers on the floor in front of the registers. Once those got full people would stand in the end of the aisle, preventing others from entering / exiting.

If they want to discourage me, mission accomplished.

I also went to the Sam's club near there. No such rediculousness. People kept their distance, but without the formality. I used the app to scan my stuff as I shopped. No hassle.

Lifer

It's a nice idea that I don't think can really work in the strictest sense. More of a guideline/reminder to try and work together to keep spread out whenever possible.

nedirtriders.com

Wife just went to Target in South Bay Plaza and they had just about everything. She bought a 12 pack of TP as well.

My family used to think I was odd for stashing TP in our “prepper rack.” And having a dozen N95 masks. Now we’ll add more.....

Hannaford's in Laconia yesterday afternoon, No lines, they had the directional maze thing going on some people followed it others didn't. Can goods picked over, no TP some paper towels, meat poultry well stocked. Pasta was low but there was some choice same with sauce. Didn't check eggs.
    State liquor store Gilford NH they were monitoring how many people they were letting in the store and there was a small line. Well stocked no problem getting bourbon!

Arrived at Costco Everett MA yesterday at 2:30 to get tires. Tire shop was closed. Three people in line.

Left at 2:45. Line was at least 30 people.

Went to S&S South Bay Plaza this morning and they have almost everything in stock. Multiple brands and sizes of TP. Only thing not seen as disinfectant wipes. Limit on most chicken and meat packages to two per person but large packages available) . Opinions vary over whether ther will be a meat shortage due to processing plant shutdowns,.

But JFK there are some dumb people around! Old geezer, no mask, standing in the middle of a one-way aisle looking at stuff. A couple who park both carts in front of the entire egg section while they argue about their shopping list. Get off my lawn!

Last edited by Garandman; 04-17-20 at 04:51 PM.

As posted by a guy on Twitter: Trader Joe’s on Rt 114 in Danvers at 3pm Saturday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grocery Store Thread-609af27f-ad69-4ac5-852a-81d5e6af4a58  

Yeah, shop during the week if'n you're able.

Longest wait I've had in the two times I've gone shopping since this limitation on shoppers in store occurred was just enough time to get my ear buds put in.

Moon Hooch makes shopping during this time so much less stressful.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    But JFK there are some dumb people around! Old geezer, no mask, standing in the middle of a one-way aisle looking at stuff. A couple who park both carts in front of the entire egg section while they argue about their shopping list. Get off my lawn!
    Old people are DUMB about this.

75% of couples I see in the store are old couples. Not two carts. Not divide on conquer. Just "let's both go and stare at each other blankly the whole time while deciding what type of bread crumb to buy" shit. Did they pay someone to do their shopping previously? Are they scared to go alone? Are they just that dumb?

I shop at a MB where it is mostly construction trade people shopping. Guy shows up while I'm in line. MB employee points him to the end of the line (4 people) when he tries to walk right in. Guy is BULLSHIT. Starts talking to everyone he can about "how crazy is this, never seen anything like this" etc etc. Of course he gets into the store close to when I get in. Guy won't follow distancing guidelines. MB employees at the deli have to tell him to step back to the taped line at the floor. Won't go in the direction of flow down isles. Etc. BUT, can muster the attention/energy to approach ANYONE he can in the store to vent about how bullshit all of this is. Mask? Nah. Just concrete work boots. Dude thinks he's a fuckin martyr. YOU ARE SHOWING UP THE MAN, THAT'S FOR SURE!

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I've seen people behave in similar fashion also. They seem lost in a store and probably didn't do a lot of shopping on there own in normal times (BFC19) but Confusion can be a symptom of Covid!
    https://bgr.com/2020/04/02/coronavir...-19-infection/

Or there just idiots ?

BJ's in Manchester had plenty of paper towels and toilet paper this morning.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Supposedly the next shortage will be women’s hair coloring....

Big Shirl hit the Rochester Ghetto Basket late last week. They were pretty well stocked except for TP. The TP thing is still fuckin' ridiculous!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Big Shirl hit the Rochester Ghetto Basket late last week. They were pretty well stocked except for TP. The TP thing is still fuckin' ridiculous!
    It doesn’t even make sense. One large pack will last the average family 4+ months. Who the hell still hasn’t found 1 pack?

- - - Updated - - -

How? The salons that are closed are packed with it.

Yeah, I'm seeing A LOT of home dye jobs lately. They should just stick to natural until they can have a pro do it!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

It's reference to a total Karen at the "freedom rallies" explaining how we should open the county up because she can't go get her hair dyed.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I like jumbo, or at least extra large, today's choice at Rochester N. Main Hannafords was medium brown, or large white. or $7/doz organic free range cageless eggs they had extra large, fuck that, $3/doz is bad enough

Monday mid morning/late morning is good to shop, relatively few shoppers, they were well stocked for the most part

RandyO
    IBA#9560