Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Cool. Although I hope to Christ you’re a lefty or at least ambidextrous, otherwise you’re probably building wall art! Looking forward to your project updates
    Hey, if Hendrix can rock a righty strat and do what he did, I can rock a lefty tele and make the noise I make.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    you hate teles, no?
    Yup, but why not.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Anybody tried the new Ernie Ball Prodigy picks? I havenít been able to find any, but the sharp bevel on them looks like they might work well. I got a pack of Snarling Dogs recently with similar bevel but they are thin for my taste (1.14)
    Iíd like to have similar in 1.5 or heavier.
    Dunlop nylon. The grey one for acoustic and the light grey one for electric.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Hey, if Hendrix can rock a righty strat and do what he did, I can rock a lefty tele and make the noise I make.
    Doh! I was too nerd to consider that motive. Very cool.

0 Not allowed!

these 2 I use exclusively Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-img_1530-copy-jpg
    These have been used for years. Also chewed on. I chew on picks when I switch to finger picking and or when thinking/writing/recording and dealing with pro tools.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jayspeed; 05-17-18 at 08:49 PM.
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Well things for my project was going well until now. Have it painted and test fitted. As I was popping the nut out to change it, it managed to snap off a chunk of the fretboard behind the nut. Im going to try and glue it back together, but I dont know if it will hold or Ill need a new neck.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Not sure if this is Guitar geekery, but this kid is obviously into guitar. This is my friend's son, just graduated from Berkeley. He's trying to make a go of it in the music world now. Heavily influenced by 80's and 90's rock, so if you aren't into the older heavier guitar laden rips, it wouldn't be for you.

The Ben Cote Band | Free Listening on SoundCloud

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Well things for my project was going well until now. Have it painted and test fitted. As I was popping the nut out to change it, it managed to snap off a chunk of the fretboard behind the nut. Im going to try and glue it back together, but I dont know if it will hold or Ill need a new neck.
    Super glue the chunk back in. Then get a scrap piece of rosewood and sand it into a little pile of dust. Fill crack with dust and glue (skip dust if neck is maple, just use glue). Sand flat with progressively finer paper. Done. String up and play!

0 Not allowed!

I'd get some urethane glue, very strong.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Sweetwater delivered this on Friday, I've been in guitar heaven all weekend. With seven 12AX7's in the preamp this thing has got gain for days, but has an amazing clean channel as well.

Looks like my Marshall days are probably over.
    EVH 5150iii 50w combo

Update:

After 9 months or so, still in love. The green channel has classic snarl but cleans up glassy rolling off the volume. The blue channel is pure balls. Saturated but still articulate, it just feels good to play. Never use the red channel, itís a bit unwieldy and overkill. The amp sounds huge at any volume, and when pushed it delivers. I never run pedals through it and rarely any of the amps reverb. Huge bang for the buck. Havenít fired up either of my Marshallís since it showed up.

1 Not allowed!

Those firefly 335’s are back on amazon for $140.
    Because it’s amazon I just had to. It wouldn’t be the first guitar I sent back.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Those firefly 335’s are back on amazon for $140.
    Because it’s amazon I just had to. It wouldn’t be the first guitar I sent back.
    I can’t even look.....The amount of guitars I have that don’t get played....Tempting because of the reviews and always wanted a semi hollow body.

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

None of the words in the ad say semi hollow, they’re just calling it a hollow body. If it’s a full hollow (unlike the dot/335) it’s going back. The last thing I need is a feedback box. But for $140, that’s a tough one to resist.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I believe it’s semi hollow body, but the pickups might not be the most feedback resistant. The dude with the YouTube channel review replaced the pickups on his, for $45 if memory serves.

I played the one I got for less than an hour, total, and it played and sounded good, but I didn’t attempt high volume...I’m on a serious acoustic instrument kick for the last few years (and very little of that is guitar, even acoustic)

1 Not allowed!

It is in fact a semi hollow, but they changed the body a little. It isn’t a straight 335 clone anymore, the two lobes/ears,bouts are less lobey, and a little pointier. Some dude mentions this from the last batch on yootoobs, but the picture on amazon showed a rounder 335 style. It’s going back. I certainly don’t NEED it.
    Otherwise, it’s pretty neat. Pots are small (to be expected) and I’m sure the pickups are crap, but you buy a $140 with the intent on upgrading all that anyways, right?

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Goin back? Confucius say: who cares, you don’t play the robes

0 Not allowed!

Ahh yes, but I have to look at it hanging on the wall the rest of the time.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Ahh yes, but I have to look at it hanging on the wall the rest of the time.
    What about an Epiphone? I have no experience with semi's but had a friend who had a 335 look alike and I can't remember the brand but I liked the different tone. If I were to want one, I'd try out different woods like how maple body sounds opposed to a heavier wood like mahogany.

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Oh sure, if I could find a dot in a reasonable burst I’d grab it. I’m not a snob, really. Most of the stuff I play I assembled myself, and has no label on the headstock.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Oh sure, if I could find a dot in a reasonable burst I’d grab it. I’m not a snob, really. Most of the stuff I play I assembled myself, and has no label on the headstock.
    Ahh..so looking for a semi hollow body chassis?

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

I’m not really looking for anything. Somebody here mentioned the firefly and I just caught a fresh batch on amazon. Because it was amazon I went for it. They’d sold out again that afternoon I had caught it too, so people know of them, I guess.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I’ve been trying to unload the shit out of this with no success.
    68 Bandmaster Combo/Head - musical instruments - by owner - sale
    I know it’s pretty solidly priced and not even a nibble.
    These are weird times.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

For you band types, what sort of quality do you expect for demo material? We're getting close to playing out, have some somewhat decent recordings, but one of our guys is insisting on perfection.

Demo would be used to show what we sound like to venue managers.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Depends on the person doing the hiring I guess but personally I’d lean towards getting the merely decent demos out now while lots of outdoor (and indoor) gigs are available. I wouldn’t wait for perfection; the manager is going to want or see if his clients would like your music and buy more drinks, not whether you have the patience and attention to detail of steely dan in the studio. No harm in continuing to work on the perfect ones and using those later...

My suspicion though, after being in a few bands, is that the perfection-seeking band mate really wants to see the band attain the improvement that striving for perfect recordings generates, before he or she plays out with the band (even if they didn’t say that). I have a band mate who insists on recording in great detail, even if no one else will listen to the recordings, just because it forces decisions and practice of the finer point of arranging (especially with harmonies). It also sets a audio benchmark for arrangements, so that if all band members practice on their own to the recording, everyone is on the exact same page live.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    For you band types, what sort of quality do you expect for demo material? We're getting close to playing out, have some somewhat decent recordings, but one of our guys is insisting on perfection.

Demo would be used to show what we sound like to venue managers.
    Won't you be using a booking agent? I've been out of the gigging lifestyle for many moons, but we always used an agent except for the oddball gigs where somebody knew somebody who knew somebody...

A good agent should be able to help with putting a portfolio together and advise on what the demo needs/doesn't need.

One other thing is that a "perfect" demo is going to demand a "perfect" performance if you're hired based on the quality of the demo.

0 Not allowed!

Our frontman does a ton of solo stuff, he's already been talking to the powers at be at a couple local(ish) rock venues. Our likely first show will be at The Raven in Worcester. Couple other options for festivals near us that might work out as well.

We aren't looking for paying gigs at this point, more just get out there with our stuff, make sure everything works live as it does in our jam space, see how people react. Some of our material has been done by our frontman solo, to which it was well received.

This is my first time in this world, all three other band members have played out a lot previous. Our drummer toured with an opening act for System of a Down for 14 cities in a previous life.

Our stated and agreed upon goal is to make and perform music we like, and play it for people. We aren't looking to quit our jobs or do two gigs a week. Having a good time and possibly covering our expenses is the goal at this point.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; Yesterday at 12:30 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport