Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Damn. I really wish I had the smarts to figure out even the most basic recording.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    As for gear, the only things I've picked up lately are for the home studio build I'm doing. Sold off my big board, DA-38's and most of the rack gear for the switch to a DAW.

Here goes:
    Avid Eleven Rack
    UAD Quad
    Klark Teknik KT-2A
    Crown K1(I kept a couple bass preamps and cabs)
    Yami acoustic on sale
    Mackie powered monitors and sub
    Fostex monitors and amp
    Small Midas board
    Reaper & Focusrite 6i6(for laptop, Going with Logic X and 18i8 on the to be determined Mac in studio)
    Arturis synth
    more to come...

Very cool. I have helped my youngest put together a home studio (meaning I finance it) and he has done some really awesome things. I like your brothers playing and studio - looks like some nice Gibsonís and Roland in the background!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Damn. I really wish I had the smarts to figure out even the most basic recording.
    YouTube tutorials and (free) Reaper software are GREAT...I got up to speed pretty quickly this way, starting at “no clue” level as far as digital recording, although I do have experience from back in the day with analog multi tracking.

Anyway, it’s easy and all you’ll need is an interface that costs around a hundred bucks, a mic, a laptop or desktop computer (doesn’t need to be dedicated to this particular task) and some time and patience. Basic recording is actually quite easy and very useful as a practice tool, as it’s really easy to create loops to practice to, overdubs, etc. it’s also invaluable to be able to critique your own playing after recording it. The best thing about it is that there is NO meter running for studio time and NO tape cost (which used to be substantial on an old Otari 8 track reel to reel that I still have).

0 Not allowed!

I have all the things, I just couldn't get a dry signal past the sims. I made noise in headphones through my computer, but everything wanted to be run through an amp sim.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    Slide guitar/resonator guitar.

Discuss.

(I'm a bass player who loves the sound of slide and would like to learn. Know pretty much nothing other than that it's open tuning.)
    Iíve been playing dobro (squareneck resonator, so played with slide only, no fretting) for the past 5 years, and regular guitar for thirty or so before that. The most common tuning for dobro is open g, gbdgbd low to high where strings 2,3, and 4 are tuned exactly the same as regular guitar. Blues players often use open D, same as Duane Allman/Derek Trucks open E except down a whole step. Itís a broad topic and Iím happy to answer questions but I suspect you are more interested in roundneck resonators, which are played more like regular slide guitars and can be fretted...I donít know much in that area.

Here are a couple morsels from the dobro world (Booth dropped his low G string down to E):

YouTube

YouTube

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Very cool. I have helped my youngest put together a home studio (meaning I finance it) and he has done some really awesome things. I like your brothers playing and studio - looks like some nice Gibson’s and Roland in the background!
    The two Les Pauls are kinda unique in that one has a hand drawn sketch on it done by Slash and the other was built for Kirk Hammett and used for that Antarctica gig Metallica did a few years back. There is a small headstock inlay with reference to Antarctica and Coca-Cola. It is legit as Kirk and my bro go back a few years.

The Explorer is a '76 reissue that he bought new in Montpelier, Vt in the late '80's. Scallopped the neck from the 12th fret up and played the shit out of it for 10 years before trading it to Daddy's Junky Music in Portsmouth N.H. for a couple Ibanez guitars to tour with. The cool thing about that guitar(to us anyway) is that I found it on Craigslist about 15 years later and got it back for him.

0 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I have all the things, I just couldn't get a dry signal past the sims. I made noise in headphones through my computer, but everything wanted to be run through an amp sim.
    I'd say start as simple as possible, see link below. You'll be able to learn basic recording technique and make some music in a very short time and the learning curve is not very steep. I bought Reaper late last year after using it for a couple months as a free download and will continue to use it but it's got be the worst DAW software for a rookie to learn.

TASCAM DP-008EX 8-track Digital Portastudio | Sweetwater

1 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    I'd say start as simple as possible, see link below. You'll be able to learn basic recording technique and make some music in a very short time and the learning curve is not very steep. I bought Reaper late last year after using it for a couple months as a free download and will continue to use it but it's got be the worst DAW software for a rookie to learn.

TASCAM DP-008EX 8-track Digital Portastudio | Sweetwater

I have a zoom tac-2, which is supposed to be the interface with the least amount of latency, or was when I got it. as I said, I could make noise appear in computer, but garage band always wanted to use an amp sim. The noise was already coming from my own amp, and through the tac2 software, which has some sort of built in preamp, and that's about as far as I got.
    The idea was that each member of the band I was playing with at the time could re-record to their hearts content their own stuff off the live demo tracks we did at our spot during practice and share them back when we were happy with our own parts. It never really materialized that way.

The new thing I have going has time booked at the end of January to record 4 tracks for a demo 7". Hopefully that happens as desired.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I think its time to have my favorite guitar checked over by a pro. Ive had it for 19 years now and never had anything professional done to it. So what should I make sure they check out? Can I just go in and ask for a servicing? And ballpark what does something like that cost.
    There's nothing wrong with it (other than the fact the G string likes go out of tune pretty regularly), but just want to make sure its top notch.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Just ask for it to be checked and setup properly. They will check the neck for straightness, check the level of the frets, nut, bridge, etc.

The difference in my bass, which was basically brand new, after I had a professional set it up was significant. Plus the neck had a bad bow near the end that I didn't notice until she pointed it out within 5 seconds of holding my bass for the first time.

Our rhythm guitarist had his brand new from the factory Gibson Les Paul done at the same time. The playability increased substantially. Every new guitar should be setup by a pro. Don't ever assume just because it's new, it's "right".

Servicing up here by our Fender/Gibson certified luthier ran about a hundred bucks, including pulling the neck and straightening it in a machine/jig.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 12-04-18 at 12:46 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

A setup is somewhere between 60 and 120 generally, including strings, depending on how much work it needs. Most of the labor is in crowning and leveling the frets.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Food for thought - for the price of a basic set up you can buy all the luthier tools you need to do a basic set up on Amazon or similar. YouTube instructional videos galore, and great reference books available. There is no mystery or magic involved, if you can do a simple valve adjust on a motorcycle you can set up your guitar (or at least determine that it does need a fret leveling, etc and have a pro do that). You’ll also have the knowledge to speak intelligently on the subject with your tech, diagnose your guitar and know what set ups you like. Most importantly it’s a zen way to spend a couple hours and you can drink beer while “working” on it.

If you really want the most accurate possible set up for your guitar search out a shop that has a plek machine..

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Just ask for it to be checked and setup properly. They will check the neck for straightness, check the level of the frets, nut, bridge, etc.

The difference in my bass, which was basically brand new, after I had a professional set it up was significant. Plus the neck had a bad bow near the end that I didn't notice until she pointed it out within 5 seconds of holding my bass for the first time.

Our rhythm guitarist had his brand new from the factory Gibson Les Paul done at the same time. The playability increased substantially. Every new guitar should be setup by a pro. Don't ever assume just because it's new, it's "right".

Servicing up here by our Fender/Gibson certified luthier ran about a hundred bucks, including pulling the neck and straightening it in a machine/jig.
    The QC of new American guitars is just awful. I bought a brand new Les Paul about ten years ago special order and it arrived almost unplayable. Never again, I have much better luck with used 80s Japanese guitars and the build quality blows Gibson away.

0 Not allowed!

Guess who now owns a Flying V?
    Not a metal shreddy Flying V, but a vintage-esque Korina Flying V.
    Yeah, I’m psyched.
    I got one of the last epi Amos versions put forth by that famous fancy blooz noodler that is also a vintage guitar hoarder.
    The instrument is really nice, made even nicer by an open box and Black Friday discount.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Guess who now owns a Flying V?
    Not a metal shreddy Flying V, but a vintage-esque Korina Flying V.
    Yeah, Iím psyched.
    I got one of the last epi Amos versions put forth by that famous fancy blooz noodler that is also a vintage guitar hoarder.
    The instrument is really nice, made even nicer by an open box and Black Friday discount.
    Congrats! I love NGD, itís better than Xmas. Whatís in it for pickups?

0 Not allowed!

Stock pickups are pro-buckers or something.
    They’re pretty nondescript, not excessively dope or offensive on any way.
    I think eventually I’d like to get something bright and clear, but I’m gonna play the slow burn with this one.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Stock pickups are pro-buckers or something.
    Theyíre pretty nondescript, not excessively dope or offensive on any way.
    I think eventually Iíd like to get something bright and clear, but Iím gonna play the slow burn with this one.
    Cool, theyíre getting great reviews. Iím contemplating the Epi Ritchie Faulkner V. I need to try one. RF is the second coming of Randy Rhoads (and Iím a huge priest fan!)

1 Not allowed!

Ain't nothing wrong with a flying V. If I could only save one guitar, that would 100% be it. My all time dream guitar.

0 Not allowed!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112