Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    Charvel XL650, best playing neck I've owned. Just a hair better than my Time customs.....

If anyone is intersested(except Chipper as there may be some squealies.....) my bros latest live facebook live link is here: https://www.facebook.com/cjteffner/v...707078464/?d=n
    Cool video.

The XL650/750 were awesome, the evolution of the model series. The necks on those 86-91 Charvels are sweet. Iíve got most of the model series, including a model 88, but always looking to put a 650/750 in the collection. Mint ones donít show up often.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh, his isn't mint any more....... Scallopped neck, front humbucker, custom wiring, EMG 80/81 or Gibson Tony Iommi pick ups.....

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Oh, his isn't mint any more....... Scallopped neck, front humbucker, custom wiring, EMG 80/81 or Gibson Tony Iommi pick ups.....
    Well, theyíre meant to be played! I look for minty ones to collect, but Iíve got several with beauty marks and battle scars. The pointy headstocks on the old Charvels just beg to be beat up.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Well, theyíre meant to be played! I look for minty ones to collect, but Iíve got several with beauty marks and battle scars. The pointy headstocks on the old Charvels just beg to be beat up.
    It also has the big screw holes from where a Dodge Duster emblem wad screwed to the front above the pickups.... ;-)

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

It also has the big screw holes from where a Dodge Duster emblem wad screwed to the front above the pickups.... ;-)
    Ha thatís awesome! The model 88 I have looks like someoneís girlfriend dumped nail polish remover on the body and headstock. Finish was fucked. Itís currently stripped, but Iím leaving the headstock as is. The polyester coating on the body was a fucking nightmare to strip, heat was the only way and the fumes were unholy. It still needs a finish sand, but itís a gorgeous African Mahogany ( before it was banned). Itís getting a tobacco burst finish, new Floyd Rose to replace the JT6 and a bare knuckle Warpig pickup.

I should work on that today...

Sounds cool!

I have an Ibanez somethingorother 770(??) explorer shaped 4 string bass that we tried to get through the finish with Aircraft Stripper and it didn't even dull the finish..... My buddy that draws tattoo flash painted it up with skulls and bullets and shit. Over the pick ups and bridge so it looks totally Halloween! Skull knobs and everything! I'll look for a pic over the weekend.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Bump because I'm showing off my new purchase!

I used to play when I was a teenager. I took enough lessons that I should be pretty great, but I'm terrible. I did like collecting junk though so I've got a bunch of guitars (a few neat ones) and a Marshall solid state head left from that time in my life. I decided recently that I wanted to start trying again, and I needed an amp. I settled on this

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-20201219_194342-jpg

Also pictured, a les Paul kit guitar that I bought on ebay and assembled when i was 13. It's had a bit of work done since, including the hot rod gold top, emg 81 and 89, and grover tuning pegs. I love it.

The amp is a 78 twin reverb that's in decent shape. Sounds great. I'm a huge fan already.

My fingers hurt now.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh bummer, I dunno why it rotated the picture. Sorry guys lol

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post

I used to play when I was a teenager. I took enough lessons that I should be pretty great, but I'm terrible. I did like collecting junk though so I've got a bunch of guitars (a few neat ones) and a Marshall solid state head left from that time in my life. I decided recently that I wanted to start trying again, and I needed an amp. I settled on this

Also pictured, a les Paul kit guitar that I bought on ebay and assembled when i was 13. It's had a bit of work done since, including the hot rod gold top, emg 81 and 89, and grover tuning pegs. I love it.

The amp is a 78 twin reverb that's in decent shape. Sounds great. I'm a huge fan already.

My fingers hurt now.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks like a solid set-up right there! No better time than now to blow the rust off if you havenít been playing much.

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-9a7cea91-a772-4489-bb48-fa714b100d5e

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post

My fingers hurt now.

- - - Updated - - -

you can't really go wrong with a twin reverb, unless you're trying to carry it!
    your neighbors might hate you if you turn that thing up loud enough to roar, but man I'm sure it sounds glorious at full song.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Nice bump! I've got EMG's in my ESP Eclipse (60 in the neck and 81 at the bridge). Love that guitar to death, but I'm with you. Lots of time, effort, lessons... Little progress.

My background is more audio engineering than musicianship.

In the category of "other musical whatnots" I just finished a new set of studio (er, office) monitors and I'm kind of bored, soooo for those that like to geek out:

The goal for these was midrange detail, low distortion and flat frequency response, kind of in that order. Size and cost were not considered

The midrange is the show-stealer. It's a 10" diameter stiff paper cone made by Faital in Italy (10PR-410). The cone itself not only stiff , but it's also really light with a giant motor behind it. Kind of like the Kramer 890 of speaker drivers.

That stiff, light, high power combination means that the driver can change directions really quickly and precisely. That, coupled with the fact that a 10" diameter is quite large for a midrange driver means that this thing moves a lot of air, and it excels in moving that air in the 200Hz-3,000Hz region where most of the music we all love resides.

Sitting above the midrange driver is another Faital product, a 1" diameter high-frequency compression driver(HF10AK). It's like the tweeter that we all know from any modern speaker, but unlike a traditional tweeter it needs to be mounted to a waveguide (that rectangular shape in at the top of the speaker). Basically, it's like a funnel-shaped housing that does a few important things, not the least of which is that it gives you control over the directivity of the high-frequencies coming out of the guide. It also plays REALLY loud without a hint of distortion. In my case, the directivity allowed me to widen the "sweet spot" at my listening position without bouncing these sound waves off of the ceiling, floor, etc... Ideally, in a critical listening environment you'd only want to hear the sound coming from the speaker and not the competing sound waves bouncing off of the walls/ceiling, etc.

Lastly is the bass driver, which, understandably looks like the focal point (but, really, I built these around that 10" mid). This driver is also Italian, but manufactured by a company called B&C (Model:21SW152-4). It has very low distortion and ridiculous power handling, employing some cool technologies like a demodulation ring to keep the distortion at bay. The result is a 21” diameter bass driver (with a 6” voice coil!!!) in a tuned 8 cubic foot enclosure that will move enough air to make the hair on your legs feel “funny.” Back to power handling... It'll take 4,000 watts comfortably, but I have no idea what that would do to my office. I started at 2,000 watts and determined that excess is really fun in the design phase, but in reality it means the neighbors WILL call the cops. So, I'm feeding them about 900 watts each and I'd call the low "sufficient."

More pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7883354&type=3

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tricky Mike; 12-19-20 at 09:38 PM.

I'll let you know when I finally turn it up. I gave it a tiny bit of sauce while my wife was walking the dog and I love it, but it'll be a bit before I'm really able to try it out. After she goes back to in person classes haha

I wouldn't say I'm rusty so much as I was never good to begin with. I never tried hard enough, so I'm going to start from scratch and actually work at it this time. What little I know should help me through the beginning

Holyshit, turkey. I’ll settle for a pair of apple earbuds.

Also, I have the same rug. No shit.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post

Also, I have the same rug. No shit.
    You need to come up here for a stoner rock session or something.

The rug! Ikea, admittedly. I have two of the same rug. They really tie the room together and, of course, the new puppy has pissed on both at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    You need to come up here for a stoner rock session or something.

The rug! Ikea, admittedly. I have two of the same rug. They really tie the room together and, of course, the new puppy has pissed on both at this point.
    I do have a baritone sitting here doing nothing...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Latest addition to our Charvel collection is Orange Crush. Carmelized neck, compound radius board, gotoh two point trem, and a set of SD pickups that really do a huge variety of tones. Contoured Dinky body. It's a weapon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-img_3362-jpg   Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-img_3404-jpg  

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

[QUOTE=Tricky Mike;1587717]Nice bump! I've got EMG's in my ESP Eclipse (60 in the neck and 81 at the bridge). Love that guitar to death, but I'm with you. Lots of time, effort, lessons... Little progress.

Those speakers are beautiful, nice work.

I have been lusting for an Eclipse for some time, have not pulled the trigger on one. Yet. Gorgeous guitars, exceptional quality. You like the EMGís? I have an 81/85 set in a Gibson LP (avatar pic) and they crank, but they seem a bit sterile to my ears. Iíve been meaning to yank them and put a set of Bare Knuckles in it (warpig bridge and a nailbomb in the neck was the thought) but I rarely seem to play that guitar and havenít been motivated to invest in it.

[QUOTE=gixxer72;1587763]
    Nice bump! I've got EMG's in my ESP Eclipse (60 in the neck and 81 at the bridge). Love that guitar to death, but I'm with you. Lots of time, effort, lessons... Little progress.

Those speakers are beautiful, nice work.

I have been lusting for an Eclipse for some time, have not pulled the trigger on one. Yet. Gorgeous guitars, exceptional quality. You like the EMG’s? I have an 81/85 set in a Gibson LP (avatar pic) and they crank, but they seem a bit sterile to my ears. I’ve been meaning to yank them and put a set of Bare Knuckles in it (warpig bridge and a nailbomb in the neck was the thought) but I rarely seem to play that guitar and haven’t been motivated to invest in it.

I do like the EMGs quite a bit. I was a little hesitant about the 60/81 combo at first but ended up loving it. The 60 is a really sweet sounding pickup.

This may be a place for this. The GF's cousin is a finish carpenter and more rock and roll than anyone I've met in a few decades (cocaine machine is the name of one of his amps). His side business is custom cabinets. Take a look if you care. https://www.facebook.com/nomadcabinets/

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    The GF's cousin is a finish carpenter and more rock and roll than anyone I've met in a few decades

To be honest, I'm not so sharp and I initially thought you were saying that your GF's cousin is a Finnish carpenter. I was surprised to see his profile pic was from the Middle East upstairs and my first thought was "damn, this dude from Finland gets around."

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 12-20-20 at 09:58 PM.

To be honest, I'm not so sharp and I initially thought you were saying that your GF's cousin is a Finnish carpenter. I was surprised to see his profile pic was from the Middle East upstairs and my first thought was "damn, this dude from Finland gets around."
    Well his band is 70s fuzz heavy metal so he probably is de facto scandanvian.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

So I "built" a project P Bass from a kit, used the kit and replaced the hardware. Did Fender Custom Shop '62 pickups and a StewMac PreWire kit; https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-pro...or-p-bass.html . It all works, but the sound is like SUPER quiet. I basically have to turn the amp all the way to get any punch at all. I'm guessing there's something wrong in the electronics. Any ideas where to start? And how to diagnose?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Check all the grounds and polarities on the pickups.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

All looks good on those fronts. Guess Ill just pay someone to take a look at it. Or just buy a damn P Bass.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

It’s probably a real simple fix, and should cost peanuts from a local guitar tech.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet