Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

I've been learning a bit about music theory as I think I mentioned I would be when I bumped this, and I really can't believe I didn't learn some of this sooner. It was probably my fault as a punk ass kid who said he didn't want to learn any of it in lessons, but man would it have made such a big difference.

I've also been watching and reading a bunch of "What I wish I knew what I started" things, and surprisingly, I'm already vaguely familiar with a pretty large amount of it. I have seen a lot of things I half learned when I was just younger so that's been kind of rad. I think I'm starting out from scratch, or I've been telling myself that anyway, but I have a bit of a head start so that's good.

The twin reverb is pretty great. I wish I had it when I lived in a rural area with no neighbors. I could have cranked it whenever I wanted. Now I keep it pretty quiet.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-20210107_231729-jpg

Built this to hold all of my guitars. Needs some felt and finishing touches still, but I'm super happy with it so far

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That’s neat.

Theory is the math part of music I’d been missing my whole life too.
    The whole what goes with what that your ear doesn’t necessarily tell you is huge.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Yup. We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting to do much better this time than I did when I was younger though. Really I'd say I already am, which is bad, considering the amount of time I have spent in the last month and the amount of time I spent as a kid. I didn't forget everything either though, and my hands could be clumsier.

I also used "neat" to describe the rack lol. It was cheap to build. I think I spent something like 35 bucks on pine boards. I already had most of the tools (I bought a coping saw and wood clamp from harbor freight). I have poly and stain already. I just need some sort of adhesive and felt and that'll be it. Beats spending 200+ for sure.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Yup. We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting to do much better this time than I did when I was younger though. Really I'd say I already am, which is bad, considering the amount of time I have spent in the last month and the amount of time I spent as a kid. I didn't forget everything either though, and my hands could be clumsier.
    Youíll likely do better this time around, especially with more focused practice.

I started playing in 1985 at age 13. Lessons, learned to read music, etc. In 1988 started playing in bar bands, usually 3 weekends per month. Band practice 9 hours per week, every week. Solo practice anywhere from 20-40 hours per week. I did this until utter burnout around 1995. Didnít touch a guitar for 12 years! Iíve been playing on and off again since 2007, and have never been happier with my playing. Iíll probably never be as technically proficient as I once was, but Iím totally ok with that.

Good luck to you, try to keep it fun.