Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

You know that's like saying Quaker state sucks, penzoil is better right??
    Try some flats. No twang.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I had D'addario's on an acoustic I had, I hated them, they just never felt right. Right now I run Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (giggity). They're not too twangy out of the box, and it goes away pretty quick, but then again, I never change strings unless one breaks. I dont play / get sweaty enough they rust or anything.
    Elixirs for the acoustic, expensive but worth it. Hybrid slinkys for all my electrics, stretch the shit out of them before you tune up and they are ready to rip!

0 Not allowed!

Daddario j-42s for the dobro, bought in groups of 10 sets and changed weekly. "Fast fret" works miracles for string noise on guitars and dobros

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Twang is easily squashed with the tone knob.
    I like a tele for its brutal simplicity, its honesty as an instrument, and ruggedness (i.e. No detachable headstock).
    I guess you can get rid of the twang
    Jim Root - Psychosocial [Slipknot] Studio Performance - YouTube

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Bought one of these today

Ibanez SR505 5-String Electric Bass Guitar | Guitar Center

I had to. The model number is 505.
    Plays fantastic. Its my first "good" bass, I have a cheap-o, and a mid range one. This thing plays so amazingly. I can't get used to the 5th string yet though. Mainly cause I read off tab, so as Im going I have to remember that the low string isn't represented, but oh well, that will come with time. Its just so good, I love it.

1 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

On another note, I need to find a new way to organize all these instruments, Ive officially run out of space on the wall.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Thats kind of the my hangup, it looks awesome (fits right in on the wall) sounded great, and other than it just being an extra "thing" I loved it.

I highly recommend you cobble together a tele out of cheap used parts over xxx time. It won't really effect the budget that way, and you can get exactly the stuff you want in it. They're so modular (any bolt on neck fender really) it's like a choose your own adventure.
    If you look hard enough, you can probably find some stuff for free (or just ask here).
    Picked this up on my way to Boston yesterday, finally got a tele and my favorite brand - these model 7's are getting difficult to find. It's in great shape for 30 years old! Fret polish and full set up tonight, can't wait to rip on it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-img_0308-jpg  

1 Not allowed!

Nice. What does that have for pickups?

0 Not allowed!

Jackson USA J100 neck and J120 bridge (hot single coils). Looks to be all original except for control knobs and switch tip.

1 Not allowed!

Speaking of pickups, what would you cool cats recommend for a somewhat decent set for a J-Bass clone?

It's an MCI Intertek HP2000 (company was founded by a couple ex-fender employees and made Fender clones in Texas). Decent maple neck, body is solid, plays well. Had to shim the neck 1/4 degree to get the action right, but not that it's in decent playing condition, I want to price out replacing the crap electronics in it with something a little hotter.

Needs dials/caps too. May as well replace it all.

This is a freebie bass, so not looking to toss a big buck set in it, but given that I'm into it for $0 so far, spending a bit to make a nice playing bass is fine with me.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Speaking of pickups, what would you cool cats recommend for a somewhat decent set for a J-Bass clone?

It's an MCI Intertek HP2000 (company was founded by a couple ex-fender employees and made Fender clones in Texas). Decent maple neck, body is solid, plays well. Had to shim the neck 1/4 degree to get the action right, but not that it's in decent playing condition, I want to price out replacing the crap electronics in it with something a little hotter.

Needs dials/caps too. May as well replace it all.

This is a freebie bass, so not looking to toss a big buck set in it, but given that I'm into it for $0 so far, spending a bit to make a nice playing bass is fine with me.

I don't really know much about bass, but you probably wouldn't go wrong with Seymour Duncan's. A set of Quarter Pounders is about $120 and a new wiring kit with pots for J bass is around $25.

Or you could get a little crazy and order some Bare Knuckles...I am going to order a set of BK Warpigs for my Charvel So-Cal soon.

0 Not allowed!

Behold this thing that I want:

Hendrick Generator – Carter Vintage Guitars

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tricky Mike; 05-16-17 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Behold this thing that I want:

Hendrick Generator Carter Vintage Guitars

Wow, that's cool. Very Kramer-ish banana headstock, and I love those old original Floyds. Serious price tag on that beast!

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I could never justify the price, and I'm not real crazy about the red, but damn.

0 Not allowed!

Looks like an explorer and a blacklund had a baby.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

This thing really cleaned up nicely, it was loved. Plays great, sounds great, a little tweaking and I think it's a keeper. My wife gave me the strap in the pic, it's a Couch, handmade in USA. The blue fabric is NOS headliner and trunk liner from I believe a 1969 GTO. Lots of cool options, cheap prices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-img_0311-jpg  

0 Not allowed!

Couch have some rad stuff. I'm a huge fan of original fuzz straps out of nashville too.
    I even had them custom make one for my Nebs guitar, and even that was reasonable, i felt, for a one off.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I was in carter vintage for about an hour last November. That place is cool! Gruhn's too

For all new pickups, pots, and wiring for a whole bass, I just recently learned you can buy a harness type set...in other words, pots and pickups, in whatever combo you want (that's offered by the supplier) totally wired except for a couple joints to solder where wires have to go thru body holes. It was a supplier mentioned in a you tube video, don't know the name but the guy was raving about the sound and low expense when he retrofitted them into a Chinese (chibson) les Paul. Claimed it sound better than his real one. The you tuber was named taggert

0 Not allowed!

So along these theme, I have a shitty Yamaha bass. I love the way it feels, but of course, it sounds pretty terrible. Is it worth upgrading the pickups? Would I need to change anything else. Or just acknowledge its shiftiness and save for a good bass.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

If it feels good and plays good, everything else is superficial. Electronics and pickups are easy to swap out, so much so, that every instrument is essentially a blank canvas as far as I'm concerned, with the very rare exception.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I mean, it doesnt sound great, but I like the way it feels and plays (physically). Would changing the pickups make that much of a difference? Or just let it be and deal with it. Its never getting played anywhere except my room.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

I mean, it doesnt sound great, but I like the way it feels and plays (physically). Would changing the pickups make that much of a difference? Or just let it be and deal with it. Its never getting played anywhere except my room.
    Careful you don't get sucked into a black hole here..play through a decent amp first of all. If your instrument is dusty and crusty give it a thorough douche, new strings, set it up the way you want it to play. YouTube is your guide if needed. It's fucking amazing what a good musician can do with 'lesser' gear.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Careful you don't get sucked into a black hole here..play through a decent amp first of all. If your instrument is dusty and crusty give it a thorough douche, new strings, set it up the way you want it to play. YouTube is your guide if needed. It's fucking amazing what a good musician can do with 'lesser' gear.
    Fuck it, Ill just leave it and chalk it up to good enough then.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Fuck it, Ill just leave it and chalk it up to good enough then.
    Hope I didn't discourage you, and I don't want to minimize the improvement you might find in a new set of pickups. But people tend to get hung up on a 'tone quest' and throw money at something they never seem to find. Not sure what you have for an amp, but even the best instruments are going to sound like shit through most low budget amps.

You might be pleasantly surprised with what a new set or different brand/type of strings does for your sound, and that is super short money and minimal effort. Most importantly play the shit out of it and have fun!

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Hope I didn't discourage you, and I don't want to minimize the improvement you might find in a new set of pickups. But people tend to get hung up on a 'tone quest' and throw money at something they never seem to find. Not sure what you have for an amp, but even the best instruments are going to sound like shit through most low budget amps.

You might be pleasantly surprised with what a new set or different brand/type of strings does for your sound, and that is super short money and minimal effort. Most importantly play the shit out of it and have fun!
    where's the fun in leaving things alone????
    on that note though, I've really embraced my inner telecentricity, and can comfortably move on with my fingers in my ears going "lalala", because everything else is just eye candy for me now.
    I might even get better at playing guitar because I'll have the time and opportunity to really mesh with a piece.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast