Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

iTrader Score

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Good instrument vs good technique...it's like a chicken vs egg thing; good technique is easier to develop with an instrument that inspires you to pick it up every day. If, in your mind, the only instrument you have sounds like shit and you decide not to upgrade it because it's all due to your poor technique, neither will ever improve.

Get/build a decent instrument, and leave it out of the case, where it begs to be picked up often. Even better, one in every room...

2 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Meh, Im not a "tweaker", I find something I like and just leave it there. Problem with my basses is I just bought a good bass, and have a shit bass, and its tough to not compare them to each other. Didnt know if replacing pickups makes a big difference, or just a tiny bit in the grand scheme.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Get/build a decent instrument, and leave it out of the case, where it begs to be picked up often. Even better, one in every room...
    Great advice. I tell this to every beginner who asks for one tip to getting decent quickly. When trying to get some initial dexterity and muscle memory, you can't beat frequency, even if it's short duration.

1 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650S

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by curiouser View Post
    Great advice. I tell this to every beginner who asks for one tip to getting decent quickly. When trying to get some initial dexterity and muscle memory, you can't beat frequency, even if it's short duration.
    Short duration might even be better. There was an interesting book out a few years ago by Jamie Andreas (cant remember the title) about correct practice for guitar and guitar playing philosophy. It was focused on elimination of tension primarily, something I still find myself struggling with when learning new pieces...it's amazing which parts of the body will get tense when playing guitar when you start to recognize it. I get it from my hands to my neck, ankles, back.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Meh, Im not a "tweaker", I find something I like and just leave it there. Problem with my basses is I just bought a good bass, and have a shit bass, and its tough to not compare them to each other. Didnt know if replacing pickups makes a big difference, or just a tiny bit in the grand scheme.
    I'm like you. I don't like to swap out stuff. I like the guitars from the beginning so I buy them and leave them. If I were you, save the crappy bass for a guitar center trade in when they take 15% off plus trade in value to buy anything in the store or keep it and upgrade pick ups only if you play in another tuning sometimes and it would be convenient to have 2 basses so you don't have to constantly switch tunings on the same bass.

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

iTrader Score

I have a few guitars. Been playing on and off for a while. What became my favorite acoustics are Taylor hands down. Out of the box the action is so good. Easy to play. Very piano sounding. I have a 210e dreadnought and a K24ce. Electric is 76+ Ibanez LP I think it's +76 because I remember researching it and it's post law suit if anyone knows what I'm talking about. Also got a '14 les Paul standard and '16 les Paul studio. Also got a cheapo acoustic Yamaha fg700s which is a great cheapo with very good action out of the box. And a epiphone banjo which I stopped playing after a few months. It's there to pick up anytime though. Oh and last but not least, a '16 fender jazz bass MIM which is for recording. Now amps and recording gear.....I'll just stop here.

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    I have a few guitars. Been playing on and off for a while. What became my favorite acoustics are Taylor hands down. Out of the box the action is so good. Easy to play. Very piano sounding. I have a 210e dreadnought and a K24ce. Electric is 76+ Ibanez LP I think it's +76 because I remember researching it and it's post law suit if anyone knows what I'm talking about. Also got a '14 les Paul standard and '16 les Paul studio. Also got a cheapo acoustic Yamaha fg700s which is a great cheapo with very good action out of the box. And a epiphone banjo which I stopped playing after a few months. It's there to pick up anytime though. Oh and last but not least, a '16 fender jazz bass MIM which is for recording. Now amps and recording gear.....I'll just stop here.
    Did you buy your Gibsons new? The old Ibanez must be pretty cool, I just realized I don't own a guitar earlier than a 1984, must remedy that..

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Yeah my les Paul's all were bought new with trade ins I wanted to upgrade. The Inanez just sits in its case but was a guitar I used the most during my serious music years. The action on it was just unchanged and steady. I did upgrade the bridge pick up when I got it to a semour Duncan back in the day but any details on that I can't remember. Cool thing was I got the guitar for like $350 from a Daddies junky music at the time.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    Yeah my les Paul's all were bought new with trade ins I wanted to upgrade. The Inanez just sits in its case but was a guitar I used the most during my serious music years. The action on it was just unchanged and steady. I did upgrade the bridge pick up when I got it to a semour Duncan back in the day but any details on that I can't remember. Cool thing was I got the guitar for like $350 from a Daddies junky music at the time.
    I was sad when Daddies died!

Guitar Center tends to make me hate people.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I was sad when Daddies died!

Guitar Center tends to make me hate people.
    This.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM LRRS 560x retired, PSTR 317 B-vet, NETRA enduro B-vet

The Nebulas: surf. Instrumental, gnarly surf.

iTrader Score

Only because someone said they wanted to pick up something older and someone mentioned Ibanez, I have an 1978ish Ibanez musician guitar I'd sell if anyone is interested. It's a lot like this one
    Ibanez Musician D789511 1978 Walnut/Ash | Reverb

mine has one stock pickup in the neck position but it has a non stock pickup near the bridge...both have been in it since I bought the guitar in upstate New York in 1983. I'd let it go a good bit less than that asking price

(Sorry mods if I should know move this post I will)

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Only thing that pissesbme off is when I'm trying out a guitar and every 5 minutes I'm interrupted asking me how I like it. A few years ago I was in guitar center on boylston and getting tired of 2 employees interrupting me trying out a guitar, this 3rd guy, a customer, gets so close to me I'm almost fed up and ready to show it. I look up and I think "wow he looks familiar". 5 min later I ask one of the salesman who he was and it was Kevin Bacon. I think he bought a Taylor baby.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Sweetwater delivered this on Friday, I've been in guitar heaven all weekend. With seven 12AX7's in the preamp this thing has got gain for days, but has an amazing clean channel as well.

Looks like my Marshall days are probably over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-img_0527-jpg  

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

That's sick. Time to annoy the neighbors, the pets, and anybody else that gets in the way.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Looks 'spensive

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Looks 'spensive
    More than some, less than others...for what it can do I think it's a good value.

I have annoyed the shit out of the wife with it so far, but one of the nice features is a built in attenuator. I can leave the volume cranked and then dial down the output from 50W to as low as 1W and everything in between. It's nice to be able to keep the tubes cooking and get the best out of the amp at 'bedroom' (I use that term very loosely here) volumes. My Marshall DSL is 100W of fury, and only sounds it's best with the master volume up past 4 to get the power section working. If you've been around one you know that is approaching retard level loud.

- - - Updated - - -

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by gixxer72; 09-18-17 at 01:31 PM.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I want a Marshall so bad.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

I just want my jazzmaster back. It's out for a level and crown and I think I finally have thrown enough shit at it to get it livable, hopefully even lovable, and I'm antsy to get on with life.

I can't really think of much else to gas for right now...which I suppose is a really good thing.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Son just bought an old mandolin. Quite a nice instrument to look at as to the small strips of wood that make up the body and the curvature of the backside. Since neither of us can play it we enjoy looking at it. Man the frets are so close together. Thing is in such great shape he took it to a music shop that actually has a selection on the wall that they were into its quality and the way its held up over the years.

0 Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

iTrader Score

I tend to own/go more older oddball budget price stuff. Laney, Musicman, etc.. I'm more into amps then guitars

Here's my main setup. 81 Kramer aluminum neck and an 80s Sundown Artist

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-kramer-sundown2-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by 2v2Ducati; 09-18-17 at 07:44 PM.
    “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

97' Ducati 900SS

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I can't really think of much else to gas for right now...which I suppose is a really good thing.
    Im jonesing for the Marshall amp, and a Fender P bass. But I don't know what else Id want. Next time my dad comes to visit he's giving me my grandfathers banjo, Im super excited about that.

1 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I want a Marshall so bad.
    Which model are you looking for? I'd love to have a JVM 2x12 or maybe an old jcm combo.

I have been lusting over a mesa triple rec forever, but I can't justify it and don't want to lug it around. But there is satisfaction that comes from cranking a high watt head and 4x12!

I've never been much for guitar effects but I've been fooling around with a Carbon Copy delay and a SubNUp octaver. Both very cool, I think my next project is a pedal board..

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

My wife got me a banjo for my birthday many moons ago. I gave it a half assed shot, but couldn't be bothered to learn fingerings for another stringed instrument like that.
    I do have something called a backwoods 6 on my amazon list, it's basically a banjo laid out exactly like a guitar. I may get one eventually, I'm logistically confined currently.
    I guess I could say I casually want a raunchy sounding sax too (to make obnoxious Sonics type solos). Its one of the couple things I look for on CL. Shitty saxophones and 80's gold wings.

I think I have enough patience to try and learn sax, but again, no real place where I can make the thing roar, in addition to no real place to keep it.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    My wife got me a banjo for my birthday many moons ago. I gave it a half assed shot, but couldn't be bothered to learn fingerings for another stringed instrument like that.
    Yeah, I doubt Im going to learn how to play it, but just super cool to have it. Add to the collection.

1 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

iTrader Score

For guitar players taking up banjo...some of you may know this stuff already, so apologies in advance if it's too basic or whatever:

It was a huge breakthrough for me when I stopped even attempting to memorize new, different chord fingerings and scales for banjo. That was when I realized that I DIDNT NEED TO, because all the long strings on a banjo are exactly the same tuning as strings 1-4 on a guitar, with the sole exception being that the first string is dropped a full step, from E to D. In other words, it's just like a guitar except the first string on a banjo is tuned two frets flat, compared to a guitar.

So everything...major chords, minor chords, all chords and scales...that you already know for guitar work exactly the same if you just fret the banjo's first string two frets higher whenever it's played. Obviously, you won't be making full six string guitar bar chord shapes since guitar strings five and six aren't there (ignore the short fifth banjo string for what I'm talking about here, it's a drone anyway) but it's easy to see what I'm talking about based on the first position F and D shapes on guitar.

When playing banjo, make your hands form those chords, but with the first string raised two frets, and move them all over the banjo neck. Same thing for F minor and D minor, or for seventh chords or whatever. Voila, now you know every chord needed for banjo. Works the same with the scales.

The F shape up and down the neck is super easy, both major and minor; just add the pinky two frets up to take care of the first string. Most banjo players don't play open chords much anyway, so between the F shape, D shape, and chords made barring all the way straight across (so like B shape, but again, raising that first string two frets) you can easily jump to any chord needed. They even occur in the locations, fret wise, you are already used to from guitar. Then finger pick away and it sounds awesome.

For the D shape when moved up the neck, fret the fourth string on the same fret you are fretting the first string. Strings 1 and 4 are both tuned to open D on banjo, so fret them the same when working up the neck. If you wanna get fancy, you can fret the short fifth string on the same fret as 1 and 4 too, whenever working higher than the fifth fret. Once you work with this stuff for a little while, you will see that the F shape and the D shape when played higher up the neck are very similar to each other...basically you are reversing the frets for the second and third strings. As a result, you can jump back and forth between the corresponding chords with very little hand movement and can use this technique to play 1-4-5 progressions when you just have to move one of the shapes two frets.

So, like I said, hopefully I'm not stating the obvious here, but for people who didn't realize that all their guitar knowledge is easily adaptable to banjo, the paragraphs above can take a dude from thinking they are clueless on banjo to being able to fake it pretty well in about 15 minutes. Obviously, there's still the right hand and finger picks to worry about...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 09-19-17 at 10:36 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast